Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Command syntax error in cron
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Command syntax error in cron Post 303015420 by MadeInGermany on Wednesday 4th of April 2018 03:33:52 PM
Old 04-04-2018
The % character is magic in crontab, one needs to backslash-escape it.
Within ' ' one needs to put the \% outside, for example
Code:
echo 'this is a % sign'

must become
Code:
echo 'this is a '\%' sign'

in order to work with crontab (and still work outside crontab).
Here is no need to escape the + and Y, so simply omit the ' ' and have \%
Code:
44 11 * * * { dt=`/usr/gnu/bin/date +\%Y`; echo "DT=$dt"; }

(And there is no need for the { } braces.)
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

until command syntax error

Hi there. I spent too much time away from Unix, now I can't remember how to issue a simple until command in ksh :mad: could you tell me what is wrong with the following code sample: export v = "1" until do echo 'executing repeat_until' v = `expr $v + 1` done I've... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 435 Gavea
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

if else command syntax error

can anyone tell me what`s going wrong with my if else statement? set exam=(AAA BBB CCC) foreach ii ($exam) if ($ii -eq "AAA") do echo "PASS" else echo "FAILED" done end (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: c0384
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job giving error while running SSH command

Hi All, The script which i am using to SSH to remote server is working fine when i run is using ./ but when cron runs it it gives error that "ssh: not found" please help!!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: visingha
3 Replies

4. Solaris

please review this cron syntax

Dears if i want to run this job every Saturday at 6 AM that will be the code * 6 * * 1 cd /export/home/jenova ; ls -ltr >> $HOME/jenova_dir (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jenovaux
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash syntax error: command not found

I am trying to create a shell that asks the user to enter their name, and compare it to my own by saying we have the same name or saying my name and that they have a nice name too. Here is my script... #!/bin/bash-x echo "Enter your name". read name if then echo "My name is Adam too"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amaxey45
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error using do command

i have the following do command: while IFS =: read printer drv IP port do echo -e "$ printer: \ n \ drv: \ t $ drv \ n \ IP: \ t $ IP \ n \ port: \ t $ port \ n \" done < diffs.txt receiving the following error: syntax error at line 37 : `do' unmatched something is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggoliath
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error piping to bc on command line - works when assigned to var

I have a script which outputs some timing data a line at a time. There are approx. 10 lines echoed, each line looks something like this: 0.741 http://checkip.dyndns.org 94.170.119.226Since I needed to add all the values in the first column, I piped the output to grep, matching and printing the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gencon
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting syntax error while running awk command

Hello Gurus, I am firing the below command : df -g | grep -v var| awk '{ (if $4 > 90% ) print "Filesystem", $NF,"over sized";}' But I am getting the below error:- ====== syntax error The source line is 1. The error context is {if ($4 > >>> 90%) <<< awk: The... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pokhraj_d
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error with ps command

i am trying the blow command in vain on Linux Terminal. kill -9 `ps -eaf | grep weblogic.NodeManager | grep wls103 | awk '{print $2}'` kill: usage: kill pid | jobspec ... or kill -l kill -9 $(ps -eaf | grep weblogic.NodeManager | grep wls103| awk '{print $2}') kill: usage: kill pid |... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

(standard_in)1:syntax error using bc with Cron

I created a shell script to record server temperature. When I manually run script it works fine with no error message. But when I create a cron job, my script fails with error message (standard_in)1:syntax error. I figured out the bc utility is causing the error message. Below is my script. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SysAdminRialto
7 Replies
bcrontab(1)						      General Commands Manual						       bcrontab(1)

NAME
bcrontab - Manage users crontab files SYNOPSIS
bcrontab [ -u user ] file bcrontab [ -u user ] { -l | -r | -e } DESCRIPTION
bcrontab interfaces with the bcron-spool daemon to manage crontab files in the privileged spool directory. OPTIONS
-u user Tell bcron-spool that we are acting on behalf of the named user. bcron-spool will only accept the username if bcrontab is running as either root or the same user ID as the named user. -l List the cronab crontab to standard output. -r Remove the user's crontab. -e Edit the current crontab. ENVIRONMENT
VISUAL If this is set, it is used as the editor to invoke to edit a crontab. EDITOR If $VISUAL is not set and this is, it is used as the editor to invoke to edit a crontab. If neither are set, /bin/vi is used. BCRON_SOCKET The path to the named socket used to communicate with bcron-spool. Defaults to /var/run/bcron-spool. LOGNAME USER These two variables are used, in order, to determine the user name invoking the program. One must be set if the -u option is not used. FILES
bcrontab tries to writes a temporary file into the current directory, and then into /tmp if that fails, in order to edit the current crontab. SEE ALSO
bcron-spool(8), crontab(5) AUTHOR
Bruce Guenter <bruceg@em.ca> bcrontab(1)