Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Thoughts on Dystopian Future as we know it! Post 303015331 by Neo on Tuesday 3rd of April 2018 04:21:42 AM
Old 04-03-2018
Yeah, unix.com should have been featured (as a legacy artifact) in Ready Player One since we were one of the first forums back in the day, way back when, before people moderated forums and insisted people behave like adults online, LOL

I'm nearly finished with the audiobook Ready Player One and am off to the movies to see the same in a few hours Smilie

The book is great.... cannot put it down.. highly recommended for sure.

Yes, the future is looking more and more dystopian, day by day, year by year, this I agree!

In the future, for many people, life will be more fun and happy spending the majority of their time in a virtual world, as they will not be very happy in the "real world" compared to living most of their life in one or more virtual worlds / universes.
This User Gave Thanks to Neo For This Post:

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

New IBM AIX 5L ver 5.1 .. any thoughts?

I read that IBM came up with a new AIX version that would be fully integrated with Linux (I guess compared to older versions of AIX that could not) and I was hoping I bring this for discussion here so I learn more about IBM UNIX OS Can anybody put few simple and practical comparisons between... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aliissa
0 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Partitioning Thoughts

I'm pretty new to UNIX and i'm planning to set up a server for my company.... i'm wondering if anyone could suggest a partitioning scheme for a standalone Solaris server with two 40GB disks and 1GB of memory... It would also be supporting 100 users... thanks ! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: martin11
1 Replies

3. SuSE

your thoughts on the KDE desktop environmt

I wanted to get people's feedback on experiences with the KDE destop environment. I played with it for a while and was impressed. I liked the non MS apps and non MS approach to mail. via K-mail anyone else ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: simon2000
8 Replies

4. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Slackware - Please Keep Patrick Volkerding in Your Thoughts

For those of you you do not follow Slackware, one of the first Linux distros, going back to 1993, you may not know that Patrick Volkerding, the man behind it all, has been very ill: http://www.slackware.com/~volkerdi/PAT-NEEDS-YOUR-HELP.txt Please keep Pat in your thoughts and prayers. Neo (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neo
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 10 - Zones - Design thoughts

Good morning to one and all :-) About to set up a M5000 server, then create a few zones to port over a few apps. So, anyone had experience of zones ? and what things I need to consider / design / workout before hand ?? I need to work out whats going to be ported over, what the ip... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbk1972
6 Replies

6. Web Development

Some Thoughts on Vue.js at UNIX.com

Recently, have been learning Vue and, as always, learning-by-doing, which means writing code for real-world applications. In this process, I have learned something that is not really mentioned in the majority of online Vue tutorials. Basically, when you create a Vue instance in your browser,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies
holidays(4)							   File Formats 						       holidays(4)

NAME
holidays - prime/nonprime table for the accounting system SYNOPSIS
/etc/acct/holidays DESCRIPTION
The /etc/acct/holidays file describes which hours are considered prime time and which days are holidays. Holidays and weekends are con- sidered non-prime time hours. /etc/acct/holidays is used by the accounting system. All lines beginning with an "*" are comments. The /etc/acct/holidays file consists of two sections. The first non-comment line defines the current year and the start time of prime and non-prime time hours, in the form: current_year prime_start non_prime_start The remaining non-comment lines define the holidays in the form: month/day company_holiday Of these two fields, only the month/day is actually used by the accounting system programs. The /etc/acct/holidays file must be updated each year. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Example of the /etc/acct/holidays file. The following is an example of the /etc/acct/holidays file: * Prime/Nonprime Table for the accounting system * * Curr Prime Non-Prime * Year Start Start * 1991 0830 1800 * * only the first column (month/day) is significant. * * month/day Company Holiday * 1/1 New Years Day 5/30 Memorial Day 7/4 Indep. Day 9/5 Labor Day 11/24 Thanksgiving Day 11/25 day after Thanksgiving 12/25 Christmas 12/26 day after Christmas SEE ALSO
acct(1M) SunOS 5.10 28 Mar 1991 holidays(4)