Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Thoughts on Dystopian Future as we know it! Post 303015316 by Coding Coolie on Monday 2nd of April 2018 06:22:07 PM
Old 04-02-2018
Lightbulb Thoughts on Dystopian Future Likely?

Greetings Fellow NIX'ers,

For a while now I've been pondering the (to Me) Dystopian possibilities of "Cloud Computing", Web Apps
(Pay Per Each Use) of course, and... the Most Troubling of All:

The possible time when we will not be allowed to own a "Real" computer, only some silly little thing that can
barely run a web browser in order to "Consume" those Web Apps! I say "allowed", but also imply that Availability
of decent hardware may be threatened by the forces that are trying to make a "better future" for us all.

The same forces that are engineering this madness are of course behind Streaming Everything as well!
I am by no means against mobile devices, I have a smart phone myself that has been pretty cool.
What really does cause me concern as above is that the PTB might try to infringe upon our right to Own
Real Computers, Program them, and Distribute our own Free / Open Source software! Understandably many
typical non-NIX users may not Care about this stuff at all since they are used to being Told their future fate by
corporate entities and various interests.

In 1993 with some years as a developer, I discovered a reasonable facsimile of UNIX(tm) that I could use at home!
That is to say a distro I didn't have to completely create from scratch, Imagine that enormous stack of floppies!
Additionally, I've worked with SunOS, Digital UX, the BSD's and most Linux distros.
I have not looked back, ya gotta love the Freedom to breathe here!

Does any of this seem like a possibility to Anyone else, or... just my Imagination ?
That said, I'm primarily interested in the NIX' users, admins and devs thoughts here.
What sort of time line do you think we are looking at before the hardware vendors get the "Memo":
"Only Mobile devices without dev tools are Permissible!" I'd greatly appreciate hearing anyone's thoughts!

Before I forget I want to add what a Cool place this seems to be! There appear to be lots of "Adults" with
real stuff to say and share! That alone is something missing from "Most" other communities, IMHO!

Sincerely,
The Coding Coolie ;^)

Last edited by Coding Coolie; 04-03-2018 at 01:34 AM.. Reason: Cleaner formatting, etc.
This User Gave Thanks to Coding Coolie For This Post:

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

New IBM AIX 5L ver 5.1 .. any thoughts?

I read that IBM came up with a new AIX version that would be fully integrated with Linux (I guess compared to older versions of AIX that could not) and I was hoping I bring this for discussion here so I learn more about IBM UNIX OS Can anybody put few simple and practical comparisons between... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aliissa
0 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Partitioning Thoughts

I'm pretty new to UNIX and i'm planning to set up a server for my company.... i'm wondering if anyone could suggest a partitioning scheme for a standalone Solaris server with two 40GB disks and 1GB of memory... It would also be supporting 100 users... thanks ! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: martin11
1 Replies

3. SuSE

your thoughts on the KDE desktop environmt

I wanted to get people's feedback on experiences with the KDE destop environment. I played with it for a while and was impressed. I liked the non MS apps and non MS approach to mail. via K-mail anyone else ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: simon2000
8 Replies

4. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Slackware - Please Keep Patrick Volkerding in Your Thoughts

For those of you you do not follow Slackware, one of the first Linux distros, going back to 1993, you may not know that Patrick Volkerding, the man behind it all, has been very ill: http://www.slackware.com/~volkerdi/PAT-NEEDS-YOUR-HELP.txt Please keep Pat in your thoughts and prayers. Neo (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neo
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 10 - Zones - Design thoughts

Good morning to one and all :-) About to set up a M5000 server, then create a few zones to port over a few apps. So, anyone had experience of zones ? and what things I need to consider / design / workout before hand ?? I need to work out whats going to be ported over, what the ip... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbk1972
6 Replies

6. Web Development

Some Thoughts on Vue.js at UNIX.com

Recently, have been learning Vue and, as always, learning-by-doing, which means writing code for real-world applications. In this process, I have learned something that is not really mentioned in the majority of online Vue tutorials. Basically, when you create a Vue instance in your browser,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies
Launch(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						 Launch(3)

NAME
Mac::Apps::Launch - Mac module to launch /quit applications SYNOPSIS
use Mac::Apps::Launch; my @apps = qw(R*ch Arch MPGP); my $path = "HD:System Folder:Finder"; LaunchApps([@apps], 1) or warn $^E; # launch and switch to front LaunchApps([@apps]) or warn $^E; # launch and don't switch LaunchApps($app, 1) or warn $^E; # launch and switch to front LaunchSpecs($path, 1) or warn $^E; # use path instead of app ID QuitApps(@apps) or warn $^E; # quit all @apps QuitAllApps(@apps) or warn $^E; # quit all except @apps IsRunning('MACS'); # returns boolean for whether # given app ID is running SetFront('MACS') or warn $^E; # set Finder to front Hide('MACS') or warn $^E; # hide Finder Show('Finder', 1) or warn $^E; # show Finder (1 == use name) DESCRIPTION
Simply launch or quit applications by their creator ID. The Finder can be quit in this way, though it cannot be launched in this way. This module is used by many other modules. This module as written does not work with MacPerls prior to 5.1.4r4. "Hide" and "Show" do not currently work on Mac OS X. Apps that don't have signatures under Mac OS X currently aren't handled, except with LaunchSpecs(). "SetFront" and "IsRunning" can take a four-char creator ID ('MACS'), a bundle ID ('com.apple.Finder'), or a path (/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app). They both optionally take a second parameter which affirms that the data is indeed a path (for those rare cases where a path might possibly look like a creator ID or bundle ID ... you never know). "IsRunning" will return the PSN of the application if it is running, which you can then use for targetting the app, or converting to a PID (with "Mac::Processes::GetProcessPID()"), to send signals to it. EXPORT
Exports functions "QuitApps", "QuitAllApps", and "LaunchApps", "IsRunning", "LaunchSpecs", "SetFront", "Hide", "Show". AUTHOR
Chris Nandor <pudge@pobox.com>, http://pudge.net/ Copyright (c) 1999-2005 Chris Nandor. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2007-01-03 Launch(3)