Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to check day name is it saturday in bash shell script? Post 303015249 by Scrutinizer on Saturday 31st of March 2018 09:22:52 AM
Old 03-31-2018
I would just use a scheduler to do that. For example cron understands weekdays. The you do not need to check the date inside the script. You can have two command line options for full and incremental if you want to use the same script for both operations.

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 03-31-2018 at 10:33 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write a shell script to find whether the first day of the month is a working day

Hi , I am relatively new to unix... Can u pls help me out to find out if the first day of the month is a working day ie from (Monday to Friday)...using Date and If clause in Korn shell.. This is very urgent. Thanks for ur help... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: phani
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if a day eg: saturday is the Last saturday of the month!

Hi, I need to develop a script to check for the day. If the day is a Saturday then the script should check if the Saturday is the last Saturday of the month so that certain set of instruction can be executed is it is the last Saturday. I do not want to use the crontab as this needs to be part... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jobbyjoseph
9 Replies

3. Solaris

How to check for Saturday or Sunday

Hi , I have a date parameter passed in YYYYMMDD format , how can I check whether it is Sat or Sun on Solaris box , as we can do the same easily on linux box by using date -d YYYYMMDD '+a' . Any pointres will be really helpful . (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: harpreetanand
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash-Shell: If-Clause to check if file is empty

Hello, I want to checkl whether my file has text in it or not. if ; then ... if ; then ... But none of these work Can someone help me? ---------- Post updated at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:55 AM ---------- The code-tags caused an displayerror,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ABE2202
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find out the day in Bash Shell script

Hello All, I need a bash shell script to find out a day from the date.For example we give the date(20100227/YYYYMMDD) then we get the day 'Saturday'. Thanks in advance, Satheesh (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: satheesh4093
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check for the newest file mutiple times a day and SCP it to another server.

Hi, I need a sample of a script that will check a specific directory multiple times throughout the day, and scp the newest file to another server. Example: current file is misc_file.txt_02272011 (the last part is the date), once that has been secure copied, another one may come in later the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: richasmi
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check if last modified day is previous day

Hi, I would like to write a script that checks if a file ('counter') was modified the previous day, if so erase its contents and write 00000000 into it. For e.g. if the file 'counter' was last modified at 11.30pm on 24th May and the script runs at 12.15am of 25th May, it should erase it's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hegdepras
1 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Bash shell - Check if value is valid directory.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: The script usage will be as follows: library.third source_directory - Your script will display an appropriate error message and exit with status 3 if no parameters are given - Your script will display an appropriate error... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: netmaster
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing a script to run weekly/monthly - check for weekday or day-of-the-month

Hi all, I currently have a UNIX file maintenance script that runs daily as a cron job. Now I want to change the script and create functions/sub inside it that runs on a weekly or monthly basis. To run all the scripts' daily maintenance, I want to schedule it in cron as simply maint.sh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash shell script to check if script itself is running

hi guys we've had nagios spewing false alarm (for the umpteenth time) and finally the customer had enough so they're starting to question nagios. we had the check interval increased from 5 minutes to 2 minutes, but that's just temporary solution. I'm thinking of implementing a script on the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
8 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)