Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Fastest alternatives to flattening a non-uniform nested array with regex? Post 303015199 by jim mcnamara on Friday 30th of March 2018 09:41:20 AM
Old 03-30-2018
My opinion:

As a general solution that seems fine. I have not validated it. Are you encountering performance problems?
BTW the PCRE regex is very well optimized and is regex-directed, so you can switch to that on most linux boxes with no problems.

Not that the 'old' regex code is not optimized.

I like your solution, but I wonder about what you are seeing as a problem. Selecting a regex engine is a lot messier than in long ago times:
Comparison of regular expression engines - Wikipedia

However PCRE is considered to be as good as it gets. You could write a simple single purpose C program....

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 03-30-2018 at 10:58 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: storing regex in array variables trouble

hi this is an example of code: use strict; use warnings; open FILE, "/tmp/result_2"; my $regex="\\ Starting program ver. (.*)"; my $res="Program started, version <$1> - OK.\n"; while (<FILE>) { if ($_ =~ /($regex)/) { print "$res"; } } close FILE; This finds $regex and print... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xist
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP: Search Multi-Dimensional(nested) array and export values of currenly worked on array.

Hi All, I'm writing a nagios check that will see if our ldap servers are in sync... I got the status data into a nested array, I would like to search key of each array and if "OK" is NOT present, echo other key=>values in the current array to a variable so...eg...let take the single array... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zeekblack
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl nested array problem

I have a array reference which has some number of array references inside it.The nested array references also contains the array references. my $Filename = "sample.xml"; my $Parser = new XML::Parser( Style => 'tree' ); my $Tree = $Parser->parsefile( $Filename ); Here the $Tree is the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthigayan
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep: Searching with a regex that contains a variable from an array

I'm attempting to grep for lines formatted like this: grep -e '^\\",' Any suggestions as to why this isn't working? ---------- Post updated at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:17 PM ---------- This was my solution: grep -e '^\'\",' It's hard to read, but basically I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AcerAspirant
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Attempting to pass my array as a nested parameter to loop. A little lost.

I want to pass this array as a parameter. IFS=$'\n' fortune_lines=($(fortune | fold -w 30 )) Inside of this line screen -p 0 -S ${SCREEN_SESSION} -X stuff "`printf "say ${fortune_lines}\r"`" And I am lost at this point. I am thinking something like this? Then make it loop.. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: briandanielz
7 Replies

6. AIX

Uniform LUN size

Hi, Is there any advantage is making all my storage LUNS ( hdisk ) of uniform size. Currently the LUN's are having different size () eg: 50G / 60G / 75G etc ). I am planning for a storage migration....so should i go for uniform lun size or with current LUN size pattern ? Regards, jibu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jibujacob
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash 3.2 - Array / Regex - IF 3rd member in array ends in 5 digits then do somthing...

Trying to do some control flow parsing based on the index postion of an array member. Here is the pseudo code I am trying to write in (preferably in pure bash) where possible. I am thinking regex with do the trick, but need a little help. pesudo code if == ENDSINFIVEINTS ]]; then do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: briandanielz
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert an array element within regex?

Hello to all, I'm trying to separate the string "str" using a regex within match function. The substrings that I want to separate, begin with 22, 23, 24 or 25 and followed by 12 or 14 characters. And I want to replace 22 with MJS, 23 with UYT, 24 with WER and 25 with PIL. For this string... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Uniform Spacing in the message

Hello, I am running a script which sends an output as an email; I am having issues with the spacing being not uniform in the message. Snippet of the code and email message below: if ] then echo "$Hostname\tMISSING\tHMCBackup" >> $BackupMsg else if ] then echo... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: hasn318
12 Replies
RE_COMP(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							RE_COMP(3)

NAME
re_comp, re_exec - BSD regex functions SYNOPSIS
#define _REGEX_RE_COMP #include <sys/types.h> #include <regex.h> char *re_comp(const char *regex); int re_exec(const char *string); DESCRIPTION
re_comp() is used to compile the null-terminated regular expression pointed to by regex. The compiled pattern occupies a static area, the pattern buffer, which is overwritten by subsequent use of re_comp(). If regex is NULL, no operation is performed and the pattern buffer's contents are not altered. re_exec() is used to assess whether the null-terminated string pointed to by string matches the previously compiled regex. RETURN VALUE
re_comp() returns NULL on successful compilation of regex otherwise it returns a pointer to an appropriate error message. re_exec() returns 1 for a successful match, zero for failure. ATTRIBUTES
For an explanation of the terms used in this section, see attributes(7). +---------------------+---------------+-----------+ |Interface | Attribute | Value | +---------------------+---------------+-----------+ |re_comp(), re_exec() | Thread safety | MT-Unsafe | +---------------------+---------------+-----------+ CONFORMING TO
4.3BSD. NOTES
These functions are obsolete; the functions documented in regcomp(3) should be used instead. SEE ALSO
regcomp(3), regex(7), GNU regex manual COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2017-09-15 RE_COMP(3)