Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Which desktop computer is the better deal? Post 303015173 by bedtime on Thursday 29th of March 2018 02:15:59 PM
Old 03-29-2018
Which desktop computer is the better deal?

I wasn't sure where to post this. Please move this as is fitting.

My 10yr old laptop's (Dell, Latitude E5530, 4G ram, 2.5Ghz x 2 CPU) spin drive has died (currently running TinyCore Linux on USB in ram).

I would be running Linux, compiling the kernel, and programming in C++. I do not do computer games; Windows will be erased. Likely Debian will go on the machine, but perhaps Qubes (a monster for ram consumption) will go on there, too. I'll be using at least 2 external monitors: vga and hdmi.

I've narrowed the choices down to:

HP Pavilion Desktop PC (i5-7400/2 TB HDD/12 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM/Intel HD Graphics 630/Win 10 Home)

or

HP Pavilion Desktop PC (AMD A12-9800/2TB HDD/16GB RAM/Windows 10)

Both are same price. I've included links. I must shop at Bestbuy as I have a couple hundred dollars of gift certificates for that store.

My instinct tells me that the former is the better buy, but I could easily be overlooking something. One thing that is rather off-putting is that it seems that both desktops would not allow for an SSD to be installed (or even swapped with the spin drive). I would like someone to confirm if this is true.

Anyways, I'm not that good with these things, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

*** Edit ***

After a little extra searching, I'm thinking that HP Pavilion PC (Intel Core i7-7700/ 1TB HDD/ 8GB RAM/ Intel HD Graphics 630 is the best way to go. Apparently, it allows for an SSD addon and is about 30% faster; though, I've been seeing a lot of issues concerning a meltdown with this machine. * sigh * And they only sell as refurbish. * quivers * I'm wondering how this would fair on Linux.

Last edited by bedtime; 03-29-2018 at 06:29 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to bedtime For This Post:

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

Great deal!

Okay, I don't know how this is funny, but it is. I found this while searching for Linux (please don't ask). :o (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnerd
0 Replies

2. Programming

how to deal with hardware

hi how to deal with hardware in c or c++? i need to learn how open CD and close any hard >>> and control hardware :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hgphsf
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to deal with replaced files?

My task is to copy all files from many directories in one. The big problem i encounter is that some files in different directory have the same names. Is they are way to copy the files that have same names in a sub directory ( need to preserve the name of the files unchanged ) I have list with... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogok_bg
6 Replies

4. Hardware

Desktop computer is only turning on for a few seconds

My desktop computer is only turning on for a few seconds after that it turns off. I assumed it was the power supply so I bought another one. Last night I installed the power supply. It took awhile with me reseating everything and taking out the cmos battery to get the computer running. After that I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
4 Replies

5. Red Hat

Remote access computer system as a whole not just desktop with GUI

Hi All, I've been looking at various options at administering several servers remotely like: - VNC (don't like the lax security of 8 characters max for a password) and - NX (awesome piece of kit but still limited to a per desktop viewer)... What I'm looking for is a GUI that... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASGR
7 Replies
LM-PROFILER.CONF(8)					      System Manager's Manual					       LM-PROFILER.CONF(8)

NAME
/etc/laptop-mode/lm-profiler.conf - Configuration file for lm-profiler, a profiler for laptop-mode-tools. DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents the options that can be set in the /etc/laptop-mode/lm-profiler.conf configuration file. For a description of what lm-profiler does, see the lm-profiler(8) manpage. SETTINGS
The syntax of options is OPTION=value. The following settings are available in lm-profiler.conf: VERBOSE_OUTPUT Set this to 1 if you want to see a lot of output when you run lm-profiler, and 0 if you don't want this. Useful for debugging purposes. (Currently does nothing.) PROFILE_RUN_LENGTH The length of a profiling run, in seconds. This should be a while, so that lm-profiler can gather enough information. The default is 10 minutes (600 seconds). ACTIVITY_INTERVAL_MIN ACTIVITY_INTERVAL_MAX The behaviour that you want to avoid when you have your hard drive spun down, is disk accesses that are spread out over time, because your hard drive will have to spin up for each access. lm-profiler detects when applications perform disk accesses that are at least some time apart (otherwise they can be considered part of the same access) but not TOO far apart (otherwise they are no problem). These settings configure what lm-profiler considers "at least some time apart" and "too far apart", respectively, in seconds. RECOMMEND_DEFAULT_SERVICES DEFAULT_SERVICES If RECOMMEND_DEFAULT_SERVICES is set to 1 (enabled), then lm-profiler will always suggest turning off the services listed in DEFAULT_SERVICES (separated by spaces). IGNORE_PROGRAMS Programs listed in this option, separated by spaces, will be ignored for disk activity profiling. The default settings (which can be referenced as $DEF_IGNORE_PROGRAMS) include common utility programs and all programs used by lm-profiler itself. RECOMMEND_NETWORK_SERVICES When this option is enabled (value 1), lm-profiler will detect any services that are listening on network ports, and it will sug- gest that you disable them. IGNORE_NETWORK_SERVICES Services listed in this configuration option (separated by spaces) are not suggested as a network service by lm-profiler. The default values can be accessed as $DEF_IGNORE_NETWORK_SERVICES. SEE ALSO
lm-profiler(8). laptop_mode(8). laptop-mode.conf(8). AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Bart Samwel (bart@samwel.tk). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. LM-PROFILER.CONF(8)