Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with a script that involves processes Post 303015057 by Novia96 on Tuesday 27th of March 2018 05:16:00 AM
Old 03-27-2018
I just need to create a file with the list of active processes until the file himself his killed. The choises are made from a menu in another bash file. I'm not sure how to do it beacuse I'm new in shell scripting.

The output in file csv will be, for example:

(name of file: report_20170318_123027.csv)

user1;19;ps;12:23:25;0:00:03
user2;53;firefox;13:00:13;0:03:40
user3;99;vim;13:22:53;1:00:25
user1;130;firefox;12:00:24;3:00:41

In the .csv file every line in composed by: user;pid;command;start;cputime but I know how to cut every information to compose every line. The only thing i need is to know how can i copy active processes in a file named like this.

The difficulty for me is to understand the commands i must use to:
- copy the list of active processes in a file
- name the file with date and time like i explain before

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a script to kill processes with PPID of 1

Hi, I have been trying to come up with a script to run as a cron job to kill any processes that have PPID of 1. I have created a file that contains the PID and the PPID. How can I read this file and then execute a kill on any PID where PPID is 1. The file looks like this: 4904 1 4455 1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lbaysdon
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script creating too many processes.

I have a shell script that I am running every 60 seconds, but it is creating this process to the point that it is causing the server to perfrom poorly. Below is my script, what can I change to prevent this? while true do java -classpath .....( all my classes here) >/dev/null 2>&1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Miller_K
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Monitoring Processes - Killing hung processes

Is there a way to monitor certain processes and if they hang too long to kill them, but certain scripts which are expected to take a long time to let them go? Thank you Richard (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukndoit
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Identifying and grouping OS processes and APP processes

Hi Is there an easy way to identify and group currently running processes into OS processes and APP processes. Not all applications are installed as packages. Any free tools or scripts to do this? Many thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilsonee
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for failed processes

I want to write a script that log all the failed processes and start the same process. For that I have already write a script that gives all the PID #!/bin/ksh pid= `ps -ef |grep "ov" |grep -v "grep"| awk '{print $2}'` echo $pid if ; then echo "process is running" else echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarabhi84
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with running processes script

I'm doing a script with the Shell. I need that it only show the number of running processes. Ex: echo "There are `command` running processes" Thnx! Pd: Sorry the idiom. I'm spanish. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ikebana
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with running processes script

I'm doing a script with the Shell. I need that it only show the number of running processes. Ex: echo "There are `command` running processes" Thnx! Pd: Sorry the idiom. I'm spanish. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ikebana
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script executed from Informatica ETL tool is spawning 2 processes for one script

Hi, I am having a shell script which has a while loop as shown below. while do sleep 60 done I am executing this script from Informatica ETL tool command task from where we can execute UNIX commands/scripts. When i do that, i am seeing 2 processes getting started for one script... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chekusi
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Script on Solaris spawning 2 processes for one shell script execution

Hi, I am having a shell script on Solaris 10 which has a while loop as shown below. #!/usr/bin/ksh # while do sleep 60 done Name of the shell script is coldcentric.sh. I executed script /DATAWAREHOUSE/LOAD/Scripts/coldcentric.sh from a command task in Informatica worklow as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chekusi
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with shell script handling processes

Hello I have a file which has around 120 lines of commands. I am trying to write a shell script like which reads the 'command' file and executes line by line with some additional (common argument) with maximum 6 commands active at a time. Each of these commands when executed takes time... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JackyShane_36
5 Replies
script(1)							   User Commands							 script(1)

NAME
script - make record of a terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a record of everything printed on your screen. The record is written to filename. If no file name is given, the record is saved in the file typescript. See WARNINGS. The script command forks and creates a sub-shell, according to the value of $SHELL, and records the text from this session. The script ends when the forked shell exits or when Control-d is typed. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -a Appends the session record to filename, rather than overwriting it. NOTES
script places everything that appears on the screen in filename, including prompts. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) WARNINGS
script can pose a security risk when used in directories that are writable by other users (for example, /tmp), especially when run by a privileged user, that is, root. Be sure that typescript is not a link before running script. SunOS 5.11 30 Jan 2004 script(1)