Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Variable input to awk script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Variable input to awk script Post 303015002 by Chubler_XL on Sunday 25th of March 2018 07:55:44 PM
Old 03-25-2018
Are $2 and $3 supposed to be filenames or space separated parameter lists?

Here is one bash solution using the -v option of printf:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
function csvdiff {
   if [ "$1" == "-s" ] ; then
      local s_args
      shift

printf -v s_args "%s%s" \
          "$(printf "%s\n" $1 | sort | tr '\n' ' ' )" \
          "$(printf "%s\n" $2 | sort | tr '\n' ' ' )"
   fi
   echo "${s_args:-$@}"
}

echo unsorted
csvdiff "7 2 1 8 9" "5 1 3 7 4"
echo sorted
csvdiff -s "7 2 1 8 9" "5 1 3 7 4"

output:

Code:
unsorted
7 2 1 8 9 5 1 3 7 4
sorted
1 2 7 8 9 1 3 4 5 7

This User Gave Thanks to Chubler_XL For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading input to create a variable in a script?

I would like to prompt for input and then use it as a variable in a script. Something like this. #!/bin/ksh echo "What is your name?: \c" read response echo "Your name is $reply" >file.txt done exit 0 What am I missing? Thanks, (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: darthur
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set/Export Env Vars from with Shell Script With Input Variable

I have a shell script I want to run that will set environment variables based on the value of an input variable submitted when the shell script is called. For example: $ mgenv.sh prod This would set environment variables for prod $ mgenv.sh test This would set environment variables... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brtaylor73
1 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

Input a variable and write to a file using awk

Hi I am trying to edit a csv file. Bacically I need to input a search variable and the value that must be changed in one of the fields corresponding to that searched variable. My csv file looks like so: 1,1A,5 1,1B,2 1,1C,3 2,2A,7 2,2B,4 2,2C,0 3,3A,1 3,3B,6 3,3C,4 I want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ladyAnne
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo date variable from data input to a script

Hi, I'm trying to make a script which you type the year, select the month and day and then create the date in the format 2010-12-7. #!/bin/bash dia () { echo " Seleccione el dia:" select file in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 Salir do... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: iga3725
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk built-in variable for input file

Hi guys, Does awk have a built-in variable which I can use to display the input file it's currently reading? I'm currently concatenating multiple files using awk and later on do some parsing. But for now, I want to add an extra column in the main output data file - basically putting in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Det7
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SQL Script to use variable value from input file

Here is the requirement, When I run the "run file KSH (sql)", it should substitute '${pCW_Bgn_DT}' with 201120 and '${pCW_End_DT}' with 201124 Input File ---------- $ cat prevwk.dat 201124 20110711 run file KSH (sql) ------------------ In this file, I want to use the variables... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shanrice
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable as input to awk command

Hi Gurus, I need a suggestion, please help. I have a input file as below : abc.txt : * xxxx: 00000 xxxxx: 00000 xxxx: RANDOM xxx: RANDOM **************************xxxxxxx*** * abc ****************************** abc: abc: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunshankar.c
3 Replies

8. Programming

take input from a variable as pattern to awk

Hi everyone, Can anyone tell me how to take contents of a variable as a pattern for awk command. Am doing as below, but doesnt get any output: $c = "Tue Dec"; $log = ` awk '/ \$c /' in.txt`; print $log; (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandrec
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable as an input file to AWK comand

Hi, I would like to compare 2 files using awk, which I can do by using: awk 'NR==FNR{a;next} (NR > 32 && $2 in a) {print $0}' File1 and File2. If the name of the File1 is in another file (for example, column 4 in File 3) then how can I pass this column 4 to the awk command. Thanks in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ezhil01
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call a awk script with variable and input filename

HI, MY question is a very simple one: if i want to call an awk script with the input file name and also pass a variable value , then how to do it. #>awk -f my_script.awk -v variable=value my_inputfile.txt I can't do it like this. throws error: awk: my_script.awk:18:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Onkar Banerjee
0 Replies
IP2LONG(3)								 1								IP2LONG(3)

ip2long - Converts a string containing an (IPv4) Internet Protocol dotted address into a proper address

SYNOPSIS
int ip2long (string $ip_address) DESCRIPTION
The function ip2long(3) generates an IPv4 Internet network address from its Internet standard format (dotted string) representation. ip2long(3) will also work with non-complete IP addresses. Read http://publibn.boul- der.ibm.com/doc_link/en_US/a_doc_lib/libs/commtrf2/inet_addr.htm for more info. PARAMETERS
o $ip_address - A standard format address. RETURN VALUES
Returns the IPv4 address or FALSE if $ip_address is invalid. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |5.2.10 | | | | | | | Prior to this version, ip2long(3) would some- | | | times return a valid number even if passed an | | | value which was not an (IPv4) Internet Protocol | | | dotted address. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 ip2long(3) Example <?php $ip = gethostbyname('www.example.com'); $out = "The following URLs are equivalent:<br /> "; $out .= 'http://www.example.com/, http://' . $ip . '/, and http://' . sprintf("%u", ip2long($ip)) . "/<br /> "; echo $out; ?> Example #2 Displaying an IP address This second example shows how to print a converted address with the printf(3) function in both PHP 4 and PHP 5: <?php $ip = gethostbyname('www.example.com'); $long = ip2long($ip); if ($long == -1 || $long === FALSE) { echo 'Invalid IP, please try again'; } else { echo $ip . " "; // 192.0.34.166 echo $long . " "; // -1073732954 printf("%u ", ip2long($ip)); // 3221234342 } ?> NOTES
Note Because PHP's integer type is signed, and many IP addresses will result in negative integers on 32-bit architectures, you need to use the "%u" formatter of sprintf(3) or printf(3) to get the string representation of the unsigned IP address. Note ip2long(3) will return FALSE for the IP 255.255.255.255 in PHP 5 <= 5.0.2. It was fixed in PHP 5.0.3 where it returns -1 (same as PHP 4). SEE ALSO
long2ip(3), sprintf(3). PHP Documentation Group IP2LONG(3)