Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Beginner server applications for *nix Post 303014877 by Corona688 on Thursday 22nd of March 2018 11:15:52 AM
Old 03-22-2018
Home servers are a huge market now, you are correct that a NAS is a kind of home server. You might not have realized wireless routers, etc are also servers, not just hardware, with important software elements like DNS and DHCP daemons. Some wireless routers can even do NAS via a USB port.

As for what a home server does, that depends entirely on what you need it to do. It can do anything any other computer can do. It can host files, game servers, network daemons, terminals real and virtual, and more. Describing all your options would be to enumerate the universe.

As for which, and how you implement it, that is to some degree a matter of taste.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NIX master in 30 days?

HI there I would like to become a UNIX god in...oh lets say a month. Basically im a windows expert (stop laughing) and I want one of them high paying IT jobs that always require knowledge of some flavour of UNIX. The last NIX that I tried was Redhat 7. I loved it!!!! But didn't have anything to... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: TINO
18 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

*nix Desktops

Yeah, we all know where to find screenshots of Unix and Linux, but it would be awesome to see some of your *nix screenshots. Okay.. to explain: This is my KDE desktop on Yellow Dog Linux. I changed the background recently to a Commodore 64 theme (pretty cool) and no longer is the Konstruct Konsole... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnerd
25 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Looking for something like Citrix for *nix

Hi, I don't mean the client.... I mean the server - I have the client to connect to a windows citrix server already. The next best thing I can use at present is VNC (I only want remote desktop, not application sharing specifically). The thing with VNC is that when you go on you are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: d11wtq
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

executing applications/commands on a unix server from a windows PC

i have a network drive (samba) mounted on to my PC and also i have SSH client on my machine. however i need to run applications/commands on a unix server from the middle of a different executable(windows compatable one). so i need to connect to the unix server from SSH through the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: megastar
1 Replies

5. AIX

How can invoke applications on Windows machine from AIX server

Hi folks, Before I start explaning my problem let me tell you I am new to Unix environment. I am working on a application. It was developed in java (on Windows machine). But application for production will be deployed on AIX machine. One of my requirement is I need to invoke QTP scripts and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachinrt
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Which is the most secure *nix?

Which is the most secure *nix for home business/ office use? Would have to be fairly well up to date browser and drivers wise. Myself I seem to have settled on RedHat - I've trialled the Desktop, and am part-way through a server trial. I've essentially not managed to keep the browser as secure... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GSO
2 Replies
RADTEST(1)							 FreeRADIUS Daemon							RADTEST(1)

NAME
radtest - send packets to a RADIUS server, show reply SYNOPSIS
radtest [-d raddb_directory] [-t pap/chap/mschap] [-x ] [-4 ] [-6 ] user password radius-server nas-port-number secret [ppphint] [nasname] DESCRIPTION
radtest is a frontend to radclient(1). It generates a list of attribute/value pairs based on the command line arguments, and feeds these into radclient. It's a fast and convenient way to test a radius server. OPTIONS
-d raddb_directory The directory that contains the RADIUS dictionary files. Defaults to /etc/raddb. -t pap/chap/mschap/eap-md5 Choose the authentiction method to use. e.g. "-t pap", "-t chap", "-t mschap", or "-t eap-md5",. Defaults to "pap". Using EAP-MD5 requires that the "radeapclient" program is installed. -x Enables debugging output for the RADIUS client. -4 Use NAS-IP-Address for the NAS address (default) -6 Use NAS-IPv6-Address for the NAS address (default) user Username to send. password Password of the user. radius-server Hostname or IP address of the radius server. Optionally, you may specify a port by appending :port nas-port-number The value of the NAS-Port attribute. Is an integer between 0 and 2^31, and it really doesn't matter what you put here. 10 will do fine. secret The shared secret for this client. ppphint If you put an integer > 0 here, radtest (or actually radclient) will add the attribute Framed-Protocol = PPP to the request packet. nasname If present, this will be resolved to an IP address and added to the request packet as the NAS-IP-Address attribute. If you don't specify it, the local hostname of the system will be used. SEE ALSO
radiusd(8), radclient(1). AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl. 5 April 2010 RADTEST(1)