Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash for loop array
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash for loop array Post 303014746 by mwheeler12 on Tuesday 20th of March 2018 07:37:44 AM
Old 03-20-2018
Looping

Thanks bakunin, I appreciate the reply.

I am still having trouble getting the loop to work for each date pulled from the filename using this code:

Code:
for line in $(echo ${DPPATH}/${DBNAME}*.dmp.gz ${MTIMECMD} -type f |grep -Eo '[[:digit:]]{8}')
do
find ${DPPATH}/${DBNAME}*.dmp.gz ${MTIMECMD} -type f -exec /usr/local/bin/aws s3 mv {} "s3://"${S3BUCKET}/export_area/${DBNAME}/${line%}/ \;
done

My expectation is:
1. For each file (*.dmp.gz), pull the YYYYMMDD date older than MTIMECMD - this works.
2. For each date matching the criteria, execute /usr/local/bin/aws s3 mv command - this down not work. It does not 'break' from one filename date to the next:

Code:
+ echo /backup01/export_area/d1bebo/d1bebo_metadata_exp_schema_exp_01_20180312_1824.dmp.gz /backup01/export_area/d1bebo/d1bebo_metadata_exp_schema_exp_01_20180314_1130.dmp.gz -type f
+ find /backup01/export_area/d1bebo/d1bebo_metadata_exp_schema_exp_01_20180312_1824.dmp.gz /backup01/export_area/d1bebo/d1bebo_metadata_exp_schema_exp_01_20180314_1130.dmp.gz -type f -exec /usr/local/bin/aws s3 mv '{}' <path_removed>/20180312/ ';'
Completed 1 of 2 part(s) with 1 file(s) remaining
Completed 2 of 2 part(s) with 1 file(s) remaining
move: ./d1bebo_metadata_exp_schema_exp_01_20180312_1824.dmp.gz to <path_removed>/20180312/d1bebo_metadata_exp_schema_exp_01_20180312_1824.dmp.gz
Completed 1 of 2 part(s) with 1 file(s) remaining
Completed 2 of 2 part(s) with 1 file(s) remaining
move: ./d1bebo_metadata_exp_schema_exp_01_20180314_1130.dmp.gz to <path_removed>/20180312/d1bebo_metadata_exp_schema_exp_01_20180314_1130.dmp.gz
+ find '/backup01/export_area/d1bebo/d1bebo*.dmp.gz' -type f -exec /usr/local/bin/aws s3 mv '{}' <path_removed>/20180314/ ';'
find: ‘/backup01/export_area/d1bebo/d1bebo*.dmp.gz': No such file or directory

Here, I find 2 files. One dated 20180312 and one 20180314. The first file is moved to the 20180312 directory as expected, but then, the second file is also moved to that directory. The piece of code then tries to move the file dated 20180314 to the 20180314 directory, but can't find it since it has already been moved.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for the help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash and ksh: variable lost in loop in bash?

Hi, I use AIX (ksh) and Linux (bash) servers. I'm trying to do scripts to will run in both ksh and bash, and most of the time it works. But this time I don't get it in bash (I'm more familar in ksh). The goal of my script if to read a "config file" (like "ini" file), and make various report.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: estienne
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variables created sequentially in a loop while still inside of the loop [bash]

I'm trying to understand if it's possible to create a set of variables that are numbered based on another variable (using eval) in a loop, and then call on it before the loop ends. As an example I've written a script called question (The fist command is to show what is the contents of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem access array outside of loop in bash

Below is a test script I was trying to use so that I could understand why the logic was not working in a larger script. While accessing and printing array data inside the while loop, everything is fine. Outside the loop, i guess everything is null?? The for loop that is meant to cycle... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adlmostwanted
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array Variable being Assigned Values in Loop, But Gone when Loop Completes???

Hello All, Maybe I'm Missing something here but I have NOOO idea what the heck is going on with this....? I have a Variable that contains a PATTERN of what I'm considering "Illegal Characters". So what I'm doing is looping through a string containing some of these "Illegal Characters". Now... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash 3.2 - Array / Regex - IF 3rd member in array ends in 5 digits then do somthing...

Trying to do some control flow parsing based on the index postion of an array member. Here is the pseudo code I am trying to write in (preferably in pure bash) where possible. I am thinking regex with do the trick, but need a little help. pesudo code if == ENDSINFIVEINTS ]]; then do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: briandanielz
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk loop using array:wish to store array values from loop for use outside loop

Here's my code: awk -F '' 'NR==FNR { if (/time/ && $5>10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":"($5-01) else if (/time/ && $5<01) A=$2" "$3":"$4-01":"(59-$5) else if (/time/ && $5<=10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":0"($5-01) else if (/close/) { B=0 n1=n2; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: klane
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - array loop performance

Hi, another little question... "sn" is an array whose elements can vary from about 55,000 to about 150,000 elements. Each element consists of an integer between 0-255, eg: ${sn} contain the value: 103 . For a decrypt-procedure I need scroll all the elements 4 or 5 times. Here is an example of... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: math4
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash arrays: rebin/interpolate smaller array to large array

hello, i need a bit of help on how to do this effectively in bash without a lot of extra looping or massive switch/case i have a long array of M elements and a short array of N elements, so M > N always. M is not a multiple of N. for case 1, I want to stretch N to fit M arrayHuge H = (... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: f77hack
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash array variables are changed in loop runtime

I am trying to check whether particular host and port are responding or not. I am using below script to check. but node_port array that i am using in loop is getting replaced with previous iteration value. Script and output is given. Please help me to understanding why node_port values are... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Array connectin to another Array

Hello, i have a script that i need account_number to match a name. for exsample : ACCOUNT_ID=(IatHG8DC7mZbdymSoOr11w KbnlG2j-KRQ0-1_Xk356s8) and i run a loop curl requst with this the issue is that i want to know on which account were talking about so bash will know this : ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: batchenr
4 Replies
break(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh( 1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 break(1)