Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: PI day.
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) PI day. Post 303014693 by RudiC on Sunday 18th of March 2018 07:12:44 PM
Old 03-18-2018
I had to do this in awk as I don't have ksh installed, but I think you get the gist... Usually, an iteration is exited if changes get below a defined bound which I here chose to be 10^-7...
Code:
awk -vOFMT="%.8f" '
BEGIN   {SGN = BS = 1

do     {OLD  = PI4
                 PI4 += SGN/BS
                 SGN *= -1
                 BS  += 2
                 DLT  = OLD - PI4
                }
         while (DLT>0?DLT:-DLT > 1E-7)

print PI4*4, 4*atan2(1,1), 22/7
        }
'
3.14159285 3.14159265 3.14285714

This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare prev day file to current day file

Hi all: I am new to this board and UNIX programming so please forgive if I don't explain something correctly. I am trying to write a script to keep track of our links, we link one program written for Client A to Client B's directory. What we want to do is to keep track of our linked programs... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Smurtzy
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write a shell script to find whether the first day of the month is a working day

Hi , I am relatively new to unix... Can u pls help me out to find out if the first day of the month is a working day ie from (Monday to Friday)...using Date and If clause in Korn shell.. This is very urgent. Thanks for ur help... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: phani
7 Replies

3. Solaris

/var size is increasing day by day

Hi experts, I am facing a big problem. i use solaris 9. i found size of /var is increasing day by. snapshot of a yester moring- /dev/vx/dsk/var 15G 14G 1.1G 94% /var snapshot of a yesterday everning- /dev/vx/dsk/var 15G 14G 824M 95% /var I am... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find previous month last day minus one day timestamp

Hi All, I need to find the previous month last day minus one day, using shell script. Can you guys help me to do this. My Requirment is as below: Input for me will be 2000909(YYYYMM) I need the previous months last day minus 1 day timestamp. That is i need 2000908 months last day minus ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.raos
3 Replies

5. Solaris

May i know the day to day activities of a Solaris system administrator?

Recently i have attended a telephonic interview. As i dont have work experience in solaris i was not able to deliver correct answer for this question. Your answer will help for the people like me who is looking to become Solaris System administrator. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sesha
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Code creates day 32 instead of 1st day of next month.

I am using the code below modified from a post I saw here regarding having the script write out future dates. The problem is that instead of making 8/1 it makes 7/32! Please help! yy=`date +%Y` mm=`date +%m` dd=`date +%d` echo "Today is : $yy $mm $dd" #!/usr/bin/ksh date '+%m... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: libertyforall
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check if last modified day is previous day

Hi, I would like to write a script that checks if a file ('counter') was modified the previous day, if so erase its contents and write 00000000 into it. For e.g. if the file 'counter' was last modified at 11.30pm on 24th May and the script runs at 12.15am of 25th May, it should erase it's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hegdepras
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move the files between Current day & a previous day

Hi All, I have a requirement where I need to first capture the current day & move all the files from a particular directory based on a previous day. i.e move all the files from one directory to another based on current day & a previous day. Here is what I am trying, but it gives me errors.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Julian day to dates in YEAR-MONTH-DAY

hello, I have many files called day001, day002, day003 and I want to rename them by day20070101, day20070102, etc. I need to do it for several years and leap years as well. What is the best way to do it ? Thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ggg
1 Replies
st_ats_enable(5)						File Formats Manual						  st_ats_enable(5)

NAME
st_ats_enable - determine whether to reserve a tape device on open VALUES
Default Allowed values Recommended values DESCRIPTION
Note: this tunable was named in releases prior to HP-UX 11i v3. This tunable notifies the stape or estape driver whether it needs to reserve a tape device on open and subsequently release it on close. When this tunable is on, the stape or estape driver will attempt to reserve any tape device on open. The driver has a few tape devices flagged as suitable devices for this functionality including: DLT 8000, DLT 7000, STK 9840, HP Ultrium, and others. DDS drives are not flagged for this functionality. The tunable allows the safe sharing of tape devices in multinode configurations like MC/ServiceGuard's Advanced Tape Sharing. The auto- matic reserve and release protects the tape device from being accessed from multiple nodes, which would corrupt a backup. If the reserve portion of the stape or estape driver's open routine fails, a status of is returned. Who Is Expected to Change This Tunable? Anyone. Restrictions on Changing Changes to this tunable take effect immediately and are used during the next open or close. When Should the Tunable Be Turned On? This tunable should be turned on if the system is going to be used in an MC/ServiceGuard's Advanced Tape Sharing configuration or the user wants the stape or estape driver to use automatic reserve and release on open and close for multinode manageability. What Are the Side Effects of Turning the Tunable On? A reserve is sent to the tape device by the stape or estape driver on open and a release is sent on close. No other initiator or HBA will be able to access the tape device while it is opened on another initiator or HBA. When Should the Tunable Be Turned Off? This tunable should be turned off for any SAN tape sharing solution configuration other than ATS. Most multinode backup applications (for example, Omniback) manage device reservation themselves, and any interference by the stape or estape driver may produce problems. This tunable should also be turned off for any multiplatform SAN configuration to keep tape access across platforms more uniform. What Are the Side Effects of Turning the Tunable Off? Unauthorized access from another initiator might interfere with any current tape operation. What Other Tunables Should Be Changed at the Same Time? None. EXAMPLES
Query the current value of the tunable: Set the value of the tunable to To save the value of the tunable across reboots: WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
scsi_tape(7), scsimgr_estape(7). Tunable Kernel Parameters st_ats_enable(5)