Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? PI calculated by hand. If this doesn't blow your mind nothing will. Post 303014687 by jim mcnamara on Sunday 18th of March 2018 03:49:56 PM
Old 03-18-2018
Fixed the title. Nice topic!

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create a calculated field from existing fields

I need to add an average field to a file. I can create it in an on-screen report and it does what I need using the awk command but I can't get it to create a new file with the additional field. Here's what I'm working with: file layout: id:lastname:firstname:grade1:grade2:grade3:grade4 I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: atchleykl
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding calculated column

Hi, My text file looks like this... I am not sure if it is tab separated or space separated. SHANTNU 101 12:40:00 AM 04:53:00 AM 219:40:00 04:23:00 AM 10 12:01:00 AM 296:18 1:55 test 342 12:53:00 AM 01:09:00 PM 144:43:00 07:44:00 AM 47 12:05:00 AM... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shantanuo
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk calculated with amazing result

I don't the following why ?:confused: $ awk 'BEGIN{printf "%.40f\n",(0.33*3)}' 0.9899999999999999911182158029987476766109 $ awk 'BEGIN{printf "%.4f\n",(0.33*3)}' 0.9900 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: saloman
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

awk calculated with amazing result

I don't the following why ?:confused: $ awk 'BEGIN{printf "%.40f\n",(0.33*3)}' 0.9899999999999999911182158029987476766109 $ awk 'BEGIN{printf "%.4f\n",(0.33*3)}' 0.9900 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: saloman
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge left hand strings mapping to different right hand strings

Hello, I am working on an Urdu to Hindi dictionary which has the following structure: a=b a=c n=d n=q and so on. i.e. Headword separated from gloss by a = I am giving below a live sample بتا=बता بتا=बित्ता بتا=बुत्ता بتان=बतान بتان=बितान بتانا=बिताना I need the following... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
3 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Something in my mind - what's your opinion ?

Dear Forum staff / Advisors / members , I am having something in my mind, about Linux / Unix possible Interview questions collections, I guess if I post them here,which might be useful for our members and for students, and in meantime we can discuss also about those questions, what's your... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to send mail at specific calculated time interval?

Hi All, I want to send an email if the time difference from previous mail sent is more than or equal to 30 mins. I have written below code and it's working fine. In this script I am storing previous mail sent time in txt file. Instead of storing in txt file how to store in a variable.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nalu
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash script to get total size off of remainder calculated

I am working on a script to get the final total size and so far have the following and wondering if this can be improved. # Compare the desired size of each lvm to the standard size. If it is desired is larger than calculate the difference and keep that value as the amount to add to that LVM. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: user3528
5 Replies
GIT-CHERRY(1)							    Git Manual							     GIT-CHERRY(1)

NAME
git-cherry - Find commits yet to be applied to upstream SYNOPSIS
git cherry [-v] [<upstream> [<head> [<limit>]]] DESCRIPTION
Determine whether there are commits in <head>..<upstream> that are equivalent to those in the range <limit>..<head>. The equivalence test is based on the diff, after removing whitespace and line numbers. git-cherry therefore detects when commits have been "copied" by means of git-cherry-pick(1), git-am(1) or git-rebase(1). Outputs the SHA1 of every commit in <limit>..<head>, prefixed with - for commits that have an equivalent in <upstream>, and + for commits that do not. OPTIONS
-v Show the commit subjects next to the SHA1s. <upstream> Upstream branch to search for equivalent commits. Defaults to the upstream branch of HEAD. <head> Working branch; defaults to HEAD. <limit> Do not report commits up to (and including) limit. EXAMPLES
Patch workflows git-cherry is frequently used in patch-based workflows (see gitworkflows(7)) to determine if a series of patches has been applied by the upstream maintainer. In such a workflow you might create and send a topic branch like this: $ git checkout -b topic origin/master # work and create some commits $ git format-patch origin/master $ git send-email ... 00* Later, you can see whether your changes have been applied by saying (still on topic): $ git fetch # update your notion of origin/master $ git cherry -v Concrete example In a situation where topic consisted of three commits, and the maintainer applied two of them, the situation might look like: $ git log --graph --oneline --decorate --boundary origin/master...topic * 7654321 (origin/master) upstream tip commit [... snip some other commits ...] * cccc111 cherry-pick of C * aaaa111 cherry-pick of A [... snip a lot more that has happened ...] | * cccc000 (topic) commit C | * bbbb000 commit B | * aaaa000 commit A |/ o 1234567 branch point In such cases, git-cherry shows a concise summary of what has yet to be applied: $ git cherry origin/master topic - cccc000... commit C + bbbb000... commit B - aaaa000... commit A Here, we see that the commits A and C (marked with -) can be dropped from your topic branch when you rebase it on top of origin/master, while the commit B (marked with +) still needs to be kept so that it will be sent to be applied to origin/master. Using a limit The optional <limit> is useful in cases where your topic is based on other work that is not in upstream. Expanding on the previous example, this might look like: $ git log --graph --oneline --decorate --boundary origin/master...topic * 7654321 (origin/master) upstream tip commit [... snip some other commits ...] * cccc111 cherry-pick of C * aaaa111 cherry-pick of A [... snip a lot more that has happened ...] | * cccc000 (topic) commit C | * bbbb000 commit B | * aaaa000 commit A | * 0000fff (base) unpublished stuff F [... snip ...] | * 0000aaa unpublished stuff A |/ o 1234567 merge-base between upstream and topic By specifying base as the limit, you can avoid listing commits between base and topic: $ git cherry origin/master topic base - cccc000... commit C + bbbb000... commit B - aaaa000... commit A SEE ALSO
git-patch-id(1) GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.5.3 01/14/2014 GIT-CHERRY(1)