Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Split and Rename Split Files
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Split and Rename Split Files Post 303014668 by techedipro on Saturday 17th of March 2018 02:14:14 PM
Old 03-17-2018
I am on AIX 7100-03

I tried splitting the input file using awk and I am still stuck in passing the input file name as variable

Code:
awk 'NR%3==1{x=sprintf("%03d_Test",++i);}{print > x}' abc.txt

The above command results in output files as 001_Test ,002_Test..

I want the output as 001_abc.txt , 002_abc.txt..

Please advise

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split a file with no pattern -- Split, Csplit, Awk

I have gone through all the threads in the forum and tested out different things. I am trying to split a 3GB file into multiple files. Some files are even larger than this. For example: split -l 3000000 filename.txt This is very slow and it splits the file with 3 million records in each... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

split and rename the file

Hi All, I have a requirement .I want to split a file and the split files should have certain names. Currently when i use the split command split -1000 testdata testdata_ Then the output is testdata_aa testdata_bb testdata_cc and so on. But i want the output as testdata1.snd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnat
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk split and rename files

I have a file test1.html like below: <dctm_topnav_en_US> <html> ..... </html> <dctm_topnav_en_CA> <html> ..... </html> <dctm_topnav_en_FR> <html> ..... </html> I need to use awk to split this into three file names like en_US.html , en_CA.html, en_FR.html each having content between... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijay52
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split then rename

Hi everyone, I am trying to write an if statement that will split a file if it is over 1 million records/lines into files with say 900,000 records and then rename those files without the aaa, aab, aac format that splitting normally does and into a specific naming convention. For instance, if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coach5779
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split and Rename files using Terminal and bin/bash

I have a file named Me_thread_spell.txt that I want to split into smaller files. I want it to be split in each place there is a ;;;. For example, blah blah blah ;;; blah bhlah hlabl awasnceuir asenduhfoijhacseiodnbfxasd;;; oabwcuhaweoir;;; This full file would be three separate files... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mschpers
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to split one field and print the last two fields within the split part.

Hello; I have a file consists of 4 columns separated by tab. The problem is the third fields. Some of the them are very long but can be split by the vertical bar "|". Also some of them do not contain the string "UniProt", but I could ignore it at this moment, and sort the file afterwards. Here is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split and Rename multiple files

Hi, I have a data file like below messageid|email|timestamp 750452173|123@googlemail.com|2013-05-24 16:14:32 750464921|000@gmail.com|2013-06-13 19:38:01 750385426|001@googlemail.com|2013-01-06 12:06:36 750373470|000@wz.eu|2012-11-30 22:32:07 . . I want to split the files based on the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: armsaran
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split and rename files

Hello, Need to split files into n number of files and rename the files Example: Input: transaction.txt.1aa transaction.txt.1ab ...... Output: transaction.txt.1 transaction.txt.2 transaction.txt.3 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krux_rap
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk : split file and rename and save in path according to content

Hello, I'm using Windows 7 ; sed, awk and gnuwin32 are installed. I have a big text file I need to manipulate. In short, I will have to split it in thousands of short files, then rename and save in a folder which name is based upon filename. Here is a snippet of my big input.txt file (this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sellig
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Automate splitting of files , scp files as each split completes and combine files on target server

i use the split command to split a one terabyte backup file into 10 chunks of 100 GB each. The files are split one after the other. While the files is being split, I will like to scp the files one after the other as soon as the previous one completes, from server A to Server B. Then on server B ,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaika
2 Replies
FPRINTF(3)								 1								FPRINTF(3)

fprintf - Write a formatted string to a stream

SYNOPSIS
int fprintf (resource $handle, string $format, [mixed $args], [mixed $...]) DESCRIPTION
Write a string produced according to $format to the stream resource specified by $handle. PARAMETERS
o $handle -A file system pointer resource that is typically created using fopen(3). o $format - See sprintf(3) for a description of $format. o $args - o $... - RETURN VALUES
Returns the length of the string written. EXAMPLES
Example #1 fprintf(3): zero-padded integers <?php if (!($fp = fopen('date.txt', 'w'))) { return; } fprintf($fp, "%04d-%02d-%02d", $year, $month, $day); // will write the formatted ISO date to date.txt ?> Example #2 fprintf(3): formatting currency <?php if (!($fp = fopen('currency.txt', 'w'))) { return; } $money1 = 68.75; $money2 = 54.35; $money = $money1 + $money2; // echo $money will output "123.1"; $len = fprintf($fp, '%01.2f', $money); // will write "123.10" to currency.txt echo "wrote $len bytes to currency.txt"; // use the return value of fprintf to determine how many bytes we wrote ?> SEE ALSO
printf(3), sprintf(3), sscanf(3), fscanf(3), vsprintf(3), number_format(3). PHP Documentation Group FPRINTF(3)