Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need way to grep the following output in bold Post 303014433 by RudiC on Monday 12th of March 2018 10:00:03 AM
Old 03-12-2018
If you schedule a command or pipe in cron, the resulting output will be mailed by default, no additional exercises necessary.
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to underline/bold and how to align output

Hi, I work with AIX 5 and have two basic questions: 1) How do I underline/bold a word in a text output? Any way to do it with echo command? basic example: echo "FOLDER " >> folder.txt ( I wish the word FOLDER to be underlined and bold). 2) Suppose I have the following pipe delimited... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: clara
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

output of grep

hi, why the following is giving entire /etc/passwd file as output even when it does not contain ^ or $ . grep ' ' /etc/passwd whereas the following is not giving any output grep ' ^$ ' /etc/passwd (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: useless79
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

GREP with contain output

How can I perform a grep and it will give me a contain word (maintenance) instead of a string or the whole line of info. grep with exclusive output? or is there a CONTAIN with IF statement ? I have a file call yast2_vhost.conf and it contain multiple entries call maintenance.html... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoom@hostwebase
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with grep output

Hello, I have a list of stings that I'm using with grep to determine which files contain the strings. Here's what I have now: list of strings in a file (list.txt): /directory/direc tory/file.jsp /dire ctory/directory/direct ory/file.jsp grep I'm doing to find files that contain the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: upstate_boy
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep output

From below mentioned line,i have to display output as last word only ie:arch_1_105366_720809746.dbf -rw-r----- 1 oracle dba 98887680 02 Mar 12:01 arch_1_105366_720809746.dbf Please .. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sanal
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep output

hi i am running grep -c on a bunch of files some of which may be non existent. The output i get is in the same order as the files grep checks and this is what i want as i need to copy the output to a spreadsheet. However when i tried to pipe the output to sed to strip away the filenames and just... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chronics
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

output text in bold font using SED

hi I want to write a script, while using the SED editor, to output the text, in this case a variable, to the result file but highlighted it in bold, is it possible to do that? can you tell me how? eg. in text.txt sed '$ a\ '$variable' ' <text.txt >text2.txt so it will add the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: piynik
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep the desired output and output to a file?

currently I have process from a raw file to this stage ALTER TABLE "EXCEL_ADMIN"."TC_TXN_VOID" ADD CONSTRAINT "PK_TC_TXN_VOID" PRIMARY KEY ("TC_TXN_IID") ALTER TABLE "EXCEL_ADMIN"."TC_TXN_AMT" ADD CONSTRAINT "PK_TC_TXN_AMT" PRIMARY KEY ("TC_TXN_AMT_IID") ALTER TABLE... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jediwannabe
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to have the output in grep?

Hi guys - I am trying to have a certain file display information horizontally divided by a pipe. for example file name: foo.dat has information like this: name1 name2 name3 namenamename4 namene5 I would like it to display like this: name1|name2|name3|namenamename4|namene5 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep output

Hi. I have a command line that will generate exif data from .jpg files... So to get the Camera Model I use: find -iname "*.jpg" -print0 | xargs -0 exiftool -a | grep "Camera Model" But I want the file name AND the camera model... How to I get the grep to give me TWO bits of information from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TuftyDave
2 Replies
CRON(8) 						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						   CRON(8)

NAME
cron -- daemon to execute scheduled commands (ISC Cron V4.1) SYNOPSIS
cron [-n] [-x debugflags] DESCRIPTION
cron is normally started during system boot by rc.d(8) framework, if cron is switched on in rc.conf(5). It will return immediately so you don't have to start it with '&'. cron searches /var/cron/tabs for crontab files which are named after accounts in /etc/passwd. Crontabs found are loaded into memory. cron also searches for /etc/crontab which is in a different format (see crontab(5)). Finally cron looks for crontabs in /etc/cron.d if it exists, and executes each file as a crontab. When cron looks in a directory for crontabs (either in /var/cron/tabs or /etc/cron.d) it will not process files that: - Start with a '.' or a '#'. - End with a '~' or with ``.rpmsave'', ``.rpmorig'', or ``.rpmnew''. - Are of zero length. - Their length is greater than MAXNAMLEN. cron then wakes up every minute, examining all stored crontabs, checking each command to see if it should be run in the current minute. When executing commands, any output is mailed to the owner of the crontab (or to the user named in the MAILTO environment variable in the crontab, if such exists). Events such as START and FINISH are recorded in the /var/log/cron log file with date and time details. This information is useful for a num- ber of reasons, such as determining the amount of time required to run a particular job. By default, root has an hourly job that rotates these log files with compression to preserve disk space. Additionally, cron checks each minute to see if its spool directory's modtime (or the modtime on /etc/crontab or /etc/cron.d) has changed, and if it has, cron will then examine the modtime on all crontabs and reload those which have changed. Thus cron need not be restarted when- ever a crontab file is modified. Note that the crontab(1) command updates the modtime of the spool directory whenever it changes a crontab. The following options are available: -x This flag turns on some debugging flags. debugflags is comma-separated list of debugging flags to turn on. If a flag is turned on, cron writes some additional debugging information to system log during its work. Available debugging flags are: sch scheduling proc process control pars parsing load database loading misc miscellaneous test test mode - do not actually execute any commands bit show how various bits are set (long) ext print extended debugging information -n Stay in the foreground and don't daemonize cron. Daylight Saving Time and other time changes Local time changes of less than three hours, such as those caused by the start or end of Daylight Saving Time, are handled specially. This only applies to jobs that run at a specific time and jobs that are run with a granularity greater than one hour. Jobs that run more fre- quently are scheduled normally. If time has moved forward, those jobs that would have run in the interval that has been skipped will be run immediately. Conversely, if time has moved backward, care is taken to avoid running jobs twice. Time changes of more than 3 hours are considered to be corrections to the clock or timezone, and the new time is used immediately. SIGNALS
On receipt of a SIGHUP, the cron daemon will close and reopen its log file. This is useful in scripts which rotate and age log files. Natu- rally this is not relevant if cron was built to use syslog(3). FILES
/var/cron/tabs cron spool directory /etc/crontab system crontab file /etc/cron.d/ system crontab directory /var/log/cron log file for cron events SEE ALSO
crontab(1), crontab(5) AUTHORS
Paul Vixie <vixie@isc.org> BSD
October 12, 2011 BSD