Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Why is my cut command not working ? Post 303014251 by John K on Thursday 8th of March 2018 06:01:41 AM
Old 03-08-2018
Why is my cut command not working ?

Shell : bash

I want to remove all lines like below from the history output as it has password.

Code:
$ history | grep sqlplus
  239  sqlplus jn_usr/dxc825#@10.5.12.106/OCSGPD
  256  sqlplus osb_soa/KD1egM09@10.5.12.196/BSOAPRD
  279  sqlplus jn_usr/dxc825#@10.80.16.219/OCSGPD
  402  sqlplus jn_usr/dxc825#@10.80.16.219/MNXSPD
  868  sqlplus jn_usr/dxc825#@10.80.16.219/OCSGPD
  932  sqlplus osb_usr/vsNfCha92@10.5.12.106/OCSGPD
  934  sqlplus osb_usr/vsNfCha92@10.5.12.106/OCSGPD

To remove all the above lines ,I wanted to fetch the first field (239, 256, ....) from the above history command output and then run history -d in loop like below.

# untested
for h in $(history | grep sqlplus | cut -d' ' -f1); do history -d $h; done

But, the cut doesn't work as expected. I tried the following 2 options

The following returns blank
$ history | grep sqlplus | cut -d' ' -f1

The following returns lot of empty lines and few lines at the bottom as shown below

Code:
$ history | grep sqlplus | cut -d' ' -f2

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

/usr/bin/cut not working with largefiles on Solaris 10

I have a person running a perl script that is parsing > 2G log files and pipes to cut -d " " -f 1,6,7,8... The script itself is in a nfs mounted home directory. It runs fine when started from a solaris 8 box but fails after about 400 lines when started from the solaris 10 box. The solaris... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wottie
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut not working in a loop

I have a function "MyPrint" that runs great on a file (BaseData.txt) that has one line of data. If i add rows to the text file it's reading the tFile variable becomes a list of every field 2 in the file. To correct this, i tried to call the function from a loop where i read one line at a time and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KME
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut the present working directory

how to traverse through each directory (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Reddy482
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

why the set rr='echo string|cut not working

I am new to the c shell script, can you let me know why the set rr= is not working. C shell script #! /bin/csh Set tt= 12345_UMR_BH452_3_2.txt set rr='echo $tt | cut –d”_” -f1' syntax error (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdsignature88
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cut not working the way i want it to

Hi Forum Im having problem with cut it even when i cut a field from an input file eg echo $x | cut -f1 -d':' it doesnt read the whole line if there is a space in it eg thisLineHasA SpaceInIt :wall: it only read up to the space.What i want is so the it cut the field as one line ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ShinTec
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Command error cut: Bad range

Hi Can anyone what I am doing wrong while using cut command. for f in *.log do logfilename=$f Log "Log file Name: $logfilename" logfile1=`basename $logfilename .log` flength=${#logfile1} Log "file length $flength" from_length=$(($flength - 15)) Log "from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut pid from ps using cut command

hay i am trying to get JUST the PID from the ps command. my command line is: ps -ef | grep "mintty" | cut -d' ' -f2 but i get an empty line. i assume that the delimiter is not just one space character, but can't figure out what should i do in order to do that. i know i can use awk or cut... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ran ber
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut command not working in for loop

grep -Fxvf testdata.xls file_GTDA1.xls >file_GTDA.xls SLS_COUNT=`grep 'GTDA_Dly_Sls' file_GTDA.xls |wc -l` PMIX_COUNT=`grep 'GTDA_Dly_Pmix' file_GTDA.xls |wc -l` if ; then var1=`cat file_GTDA.xls|grep 'GTDA_Dly_Sls_'` var4="|" for i in $var1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: renuk
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut command, no input delim, output delim not working

Hello, I'm using cygwin on my Windows 7 machine. From the man pages of cut: --output-delimiter=STRING use STRING as the output delimiter the default is to use the input delimiter I tried the following commands and got the error messages: $ cut -c1-10,20-30 -d... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kojac
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cut command: can't make it cut fields

I'm a complete beginner in UNIX (and not a computer science student either), just undergoing a tutoring course. Trying to replicate the instructions on my own I directed output of the ls listing command (lists all files of my home directory ) to My_dir.tsv file (see the screenshot) to make use of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
9 Replies
Session::Store::Informix(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			       Session::Store::Informix(3)

NAME
Apache::Session::Store::Informix - Store persistent data in a Informix database SYNOPSIS
use Apache::Session::Store::Informix; my $store = new Apache::Session::Store::Informix; $store->insert($ref); $store->update($ref); $store->materialize($ref); $store->remove($ref); DESCRIPTION
Apache::Session::Store::Informix fulfills the storage interface of Apache::Session. Session data is stored in a Informix database. SCHEMA
To use this module, you will need at least these columns in a table called 'sessions': id char(32) # or however long your session IDs are. a_session lvarchar To create this schema, you can execute this command using the sqlplus program: CREATE TABLE sessions ( id char(32) not null primary key, a_session lvarchar ); If you use some other command, ensure that there is a unique index on the table's id column. CONFIGURATION
The module must know what datasource, username, and password to use when connecting to the database. These values can be set using the options hash (see Apache::Session documentation). The options are DataSource, UserName, and Password. Example: tie %hash, 'Apache::Session::Informix', $id, { DataSource => 'dbi:Informix:database', UserName => 'database_user', Password => 'K00l' }; Instead, you may pass in an already-opened DBI handle to your database. tie %hash, 'Apache::Session::Informix', $id, { Handle => $dbh }; The last option is LongReadLen, which specifies the maximum size of the session object. If not supplied, the default maximum size is 8 KB. AUTHOR
This module was written by Mike Langen <mike.langen@tamedia.ch>, based on the original for Oracle. SEE ALSO
Apache::Session, Apache::Session::Store::DBI perl v5.12.1 2007-09-28 Session::Store::Informix(3)