Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk to look up values in File 2 from File 1, & printingNth field of File1 based value of File2 $2 Post 303014062 by abdulbadii on Sunday 4th of March 2018 10:42:26 AM
Old 03-04-2018
Code:
  awk -F, 'NR==FNR { for (i=3;i<=NF;i++) arr[$1,i] = ","$i; next } { print $0 arr[$1,($2+2)] }' file1 file2

Last edited by abdulbadii; 03-04-2018 at 11:51 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to abdulbadii For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: read values from file1; search for values in file2

I have read another post about this issue and am wondering how to adapt it to my own, much simpler, issue. I have a file of user IDs like so: 333333 321321 546465 ...etc I need to take each number and use it to print records wherein the 5th field matches the user ID pulled from the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bubnoff
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read Field from file1 and find and replace in file2

Hi All, I have file1 line below: $myName$|xxx Now I need to read the file1 and find for $myName$ in file2 and replace with xxx file1: $myName$|xxx file2: My name is $myName$ expected output in file2 after executing the script is below: my name is xxx Thanks, (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gdevadas
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get values from different columns from file2 when match values of file1

Hi everyone, I have file1 and file2 comma separated both. file1 is: Header1,Header2,Header3,Header4,Header5,Header6,Header7,Header8,Header9,Header10 Code7,,,,,,,,, Code5,,,,,,,,, Code3,,,,,,,,, Code9,,,,,,,,, Code2,,,,,,,,,file2... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
17 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: Pattern match between 2 files, then compare a field in file1 as > or < field in file2

First, thanks for the help in previous posts... couldn't have gotten where I am now without it! So here is what I have, I use AWK to match $1 and $2 as 1 string in file1 to $1 and $2 as 1 string in file2. Now I'm wondering if I can extend this AWK command to incorporate the following: If $1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

using field 2 in file2 to complete field 3 in file1

Hello, I was hoping someone could help me with this work related problem... basically what I want to do is the following: file2: 1 o 2 t 4 f 5 v 7 n 8 e 10 a file1: 1 : (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarones
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

if matching strings in file1 and file2, add column from file1 to file2

I have very limited coding skills but I'm wondering if someone could help me with this. There are many threads about matching strings in two files, but I have no idea how to add a column from one file to another based on a matching string. I'm looking to match column1 in file1 to the number... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retreive the records from file2 by using the first field in file1

Hi Freinds, i have a file1 as below file1 1|ndmf|fdd|d3484|34874 2|jdehf|wru7|478|w489 3|dfkj|wej|484|49894 file2 contains lakhs of records and not in sorted order i want to retrive only the records from file2 by searcing the first field of file 1 i used grep ^1 file2... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to search field2 in file2 using range of fields file1 and using match to another field in file1

I am trying to use awk to find all the $2 values in file2 which is ~30MB and tab-delimited, that are between $2 and $3 in file1 which is ~2GB and tab-delimited. I have just found out that I need to use $1 and $2 and $3 from file1 and $1 and $2of file2 must match $1 of file1 and be in the range... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to update field in file2 if not the same as file1

Trying to use awk to: update $2 in file2 with the $2 value in file1, if $1 in file1 matches $13 in file2, which is tab-delimeted. The $2values may already be the same so in that case nothing happens and the next line is processed. There are exactly 4,605 unique $13 values. Thank you :). ... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to update field using matching value in file1 and substring in field in file2

In the awk below I am trying to set/update the value of $14 in file2 in bold, using the matching NM_ in $12 or $9 in file2 with the NM_ in $2 of file1. The lengths of $9 and $12 can be variable but what is consistent is the start pattern will always be NM_ and the end pattern is always ;... (2 Replies)
2 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)