Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Looping through all folders in a folder. Post 303014002 by Mr_Keystrokes on Saturday 3rd of March 2018 10:51:28 AM
Old 03-03-2018
Thanks, your solution works. I'm just trying to decode what you've done.

So I see here that the find function looks for files of a given type i.e. .fna.gz.
And then the pipe ( | ) passes each file to be read.
Code:
 find . -name *fna.gz | while read f ; do

Now as the files are being read something is going on that I can't make out.
You seem to be creating 2 variables, the first of which captures the name of the folder and then the captures the name of the file in that folder. Is this correct?
Is this a regex? What do the values {}, % and # mean?
Code:
fl=${f%/*}; fld=${fl##*/} ;

And then here you rename the files.
Code:
mv "$f" "$fl/${fld}_${f##*/}" ;

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

cygwin, looping through folders

Hello I am trying to write a script. This is the thing, I want to loop through all folders in a certain folder and send all files in these folders to a java program. The files are somewhere in the neighbourhood of 170.000. the setup is (hope you get the picture): _______________________Home... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smanna
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zip a folder including its sub-folders.

Hi, I have a folder that contains a few sub-folders. I would like to zip that folder and KEEP the subfolders. What it does at the moment is taking all the files within the subfolders and zipping them into one big file (zip -r ...). Does anyone know the UNIX command to keep the subfolders in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gdog
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move all files but not folders to a new folder

Hi, I have a sub directory with a number of files and folders. What i want is a subdirectory with just folders and not files for cleanliness sake. So I want to move the files into the new folder but keep the folders in the same place. Move all files (but not folders) to new folder. I am... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hopper_no1
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove all folders within another folder except the lastest 1, 2 or 3.

I am using this command to remove all files and folders older than 24 hours; find /databackup/dbs/* -maxdepth 0 -type d -mtime +0 -exec rm -rf {} \; However, if/when backups to this folder fail and are not updated, it will completely destroy any backups we have in that folder. What can I add... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: damang111
14 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving files from one folder to many folders

I have a more than 10 K files in a folder. They are accumulated in a period of more than an year (Say from 13th July 2010 to 4th June 2011). I need to perform housekeeping on this. The requirement is to create a folder like 13Jul2010,14July2010,......3June2011,4June2010 and then from the main... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: realspirituals
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar-ing folders in a folder

How do I create individual tars of a all the directories in a directory? I have a directory called 'patients', each patient has a directory in the patients directory. I want to create tars such that each patient has their own tar file. Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: HappyPhysicist
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

looping through files, doing something, and rename in new folder

Hi, I'm really new at this but have several hundred files that i need to do something with and save with a new name. The files are 26 columns wide. I want to select some for renaming. I've figured out what to do to each file ("file-1.CSV"| grep -v "=" | cut -f 1-4,9,14,15,18,19,20,21,22,24,26... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bob101
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete other's folders which are in our own folder?

Hi All, I need a solution for the following scenario. I am the owner for the particular folder and I have given 777 permissions for some specific reasons. So others can able to create folders and files. But when I am done with the work, I need to delete the folders which are created by... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj_thorali
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a sub-folder in multiple folders

Hi I've been trying to find an answer to this question and was hoping someone would be able to help me. I want to add a sub-folder to to an existing structure: for example /toys/toy_1/new /toys/toy_2/new /toys/toy_3/new There are humdreds of theses folders - what i want to do is add a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LouSan
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving files and folders to another folder

I recently bought Synology server and realised it can run scripts. I would need fairly simple script which moves all files and folders from ARCHIVE folder to WORKING folder. I would also need to maintain folder structure as each of the folders may contain subfolders. How would I go about it as I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ###
1 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)