Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Cpio - input files (from list) are stored in different order inside cpio archive - why? Post 303013966 by MadeInGermany on Friday 2nd of March 2018 03:01:23 PM
Old 03-02-2018
I think your problem is that find takes the order in the directory.
In a simple file system initialy the order in the directory defaults to the order in which files are created. But if files are deleted, a new file can take the position of a deleted entry.
Not to speak of more complex file systems that use a hash table.

What is your file system type?
Perhaps you do not need to reinvent the wheel. There is ufsdump/ufsrestore for the ufs file system, and certainly another method for a zfs file system.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Selective restore from a cpio tape archive

Hi, I use following command to restore data from my cpio tape archive: $cpio -icvd < /dev/rct0 But this'll restore all tape contents to the current path, what if I want only selected files from the tape, suppose I want /home/compdir/home2/Rev83/data/PL/01/*.* files to be restored... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tayyabq8
8 Replies

2. AIX

cpio - files > 2 GB

Hi, Currently a backup script copies compressed files to tape using cpio command (on AIX 5.2). Recently we've had a compressed file which has gone over 2 GB in size resulting in an error while copying this file onto the tape using cpio. Any suggestions on relevant workarounds would be much... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnicky
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cpio - files > 2gb

Hi, Currently a backup script copies compressed files to tape using cpio command (on AIX 5.2). Recently we've had a compressed file which has gone over 2 GB in size resulting in an error while copying this file onto the tape using cpio. Any suggestions on relevant workarounds would be much... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnicky
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

Method to Unpack cpio files

Hi all, I want to unpack some files .Files and their sizes are: 1. Linux9i_Disk1.cpio -- 500m 2. Linux9i_Disk2.cpio--- 600m 3.Linux9i_Disk3.cpio---- 250m I used cpio -idmv Linux9i_Disk1.cpio command to unpack the files. But Its taking more time to unpack the files.What could be the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: William1482
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

cpio.cat.z files????

what are cpio.cat.z files??? Can I delete them??? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ldaliosmane
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to restore cpio archive to a directory

Hello Every one, I want to back up all passwd files to /xyz/passfiles.cpio and Then restore them to /abc directory. Here is what I wrote: find / -name passwd | cpio -oc > /tmp/passwd.cpio and to restore cd abc cpio -ium < /tmp/passwd.cpio I can not find the files restored to /abc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: drdigital_m
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending a CPIO to an existing archive

I created a CPIO archive I wanted to add addition data to it but am having issues: -rw-r--r-- 1 test test 629295104 2011-10-28 12:41 /home/test/Downloads/test.cpio I tried: sudo find /tmp -depth | cpio -oAO /home/test/Downloads/test.cpio cpio: premature end of file and (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
1 Replies

8. HP-UX

cpio deleting source files. Can't figure out why!

So I ran into a strange problem the other day when using cpio. I'm not really sure this needed to be in an HPUX specific forum, but wasn't sure where else to put it. I'm running HPUX 11.11 PARISC. I was using cpio to copy a directory and its entire contents from one server, we'll call it... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: paqman
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cpio all *.txt-files out of folders to just one directory

I need a hint for reading manpage (I did rtfm really) of cpio to do this task as in the headline described. I want to put all files of a certain type, lets say all *.txt files or any other format. Spread in more than hundreds of subdirectories in one directory I would like to select them and just... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1in10
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cpio archive help

Hi I'm new to the forum and looking for some help with cpio archive creation. I have a bunch of directories that I need to make into a cpio archive. The problem I'm having is that when I input the commands I get the cpio archive but it creates a duplicate of the archive inside the archive... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: reeves1985
4 Replies
VGCFGRESTORE(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   VGCFGRESTORE(8)

NAME
vgcfgrestore - restore volume group descriptor area SYNOPSIS
vgcfgrestore [-d|--debug] [-f|--file filename] [-l[l]|--list] [-h|--help] [-M|--Metadatatype1|2] [-t|--test] [-v|--verbose] VolumeGroupName DESCRIPTION
vgcfgrestore allows you to restore the metadata of VolumeGroupName from a text backup file produced by vgcfgbackup. You can specify a backup file with --file. If no backup file is specified, the most recent one is used. Use --list for a list of the available backup and archive files of VolumeGroupName. OPTIONS
-l | --list -- List files pertaining to VolumeGroupName List metadata backup and archive files pertaining to VolumeGroupName. May be used with the -f option. Does not restore Vol- umeGroupName. -f | --file filename -- Name of LVM metadata backup file Specifies a metadata backup or archive file to be used for restoring VolumeGroupName. Often this file has been created with vgcfg- backup. See lvm for common options. REPLACING PHYSICAL VOLUMES
vgdisplay --partial --verbose will show you the UUIDs and sizes of any PVs that are no longer present. If a PV in the VG is lost and you wish to substitute another of the same size, use pvcreate --restorefile filename --uuid uuid (plus additional arguments as appropriate) to initialise it with the same UUID as the missing PV. Repeat for all other missing PVs in the VG. Then use vgcfgrestore --file filename to restore the volume group's metadata. SEE ALSO
lvm(8), vgcreate(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.44-cvs (02-17-09) VGCFGRESTORE(8)