Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with tar cmd for directories Post 303013923 by sam_bd on Friday 2nd of March 2018 04:27:56 AM
Old 03-02-2018
Help with tar cmd for directories

Hi, I'm working on HP-UX B.11.23 64bit. I tried to tar couple of directories but failed to do so.
$ tar -cvf tar_file_name -C /dir1 /dir2

the -C is for directories as mentioned in the man pages. But still unable to create a tar file having directories and sub-directories.
Requesting help in this regard.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

excluding directories while using tar

How do I exclude some directories while creating a tar file with a number of directories? thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uchachra
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

excluding directories in tar

In a bash script I am writing I am having a problem excluding selected directories from tar. From the machine $SERVER I issue the command #start netcat on storage server gnetcat -l -vv -p 2011 >$FILEPATH/$SHORT_NAME.$today.tar & The the following command is then sent to the $CLIENT. #start... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thumper
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cmd to view only directories

Hi All, Plz tell me the cmd of viewing only directories. Suppose i am at bin directory and it contains another directory mails with lotz of files in it. Now when ever I do ls -lt mails under bin directory it shows me all the files inside mails dir . But I just want to see only mails... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarora_98
14 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to tar directories that begins with 'sample_ZZZ'????

Hi, I have a bunch of images (8k) in several directories. I want to tar these directories up and unzip them to development and production with the same path. Example: /about/images/sample_01 /about/images/sample_02 /about/images/sample_03 /about/images/lorem_ipsum... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: andylee80
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Tar and moving directories

I'm redoing my file system partitions on a Sunblade 100. The system came with a 999mb root and slice 6 with 35GB. I redid the file system by creating separate /opt1, /usr1, /var1, and a /data on different partitions (slice 3, 4, 5 and 7). I need a command to tar my opt, var, opt, usr that's under... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stocksj
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar only the Directories and Sub Directories

Hi all, I want to only tar the Directories and the Sub Directories. I dont want the files which are created in those directories. Can you please help me out in this issue. Regards Andy (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andysundar
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar cmd how many arguments into parameters of filenames

Hi I would like to use tar cmd in my script. I have a variable with filenames, e.g. 1000 records and I would like to paste its values into tar cmd. For this example I used three elements variable strings. strings="file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt" `tar cf file1.tar $strings` Whether... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: presul
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

multi tape option in tar cmd

Dear experts, I have to take back up of 1.8TB data in single cmd. I have tape which has the capasity of 600 GB. Hence i want to use multiple tapes to take the backup using tar cmd. Kindly help. -Anand (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nithyanandan
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Extracting directories only from tar ball

Hi Somebody must have done this before, but I can't seem to find any answer on my problem. On HP-UX 11i v3 I have a relatively large tar ball (~120 GB), and I want to create the directory structure only from the archive. There is no option to make a new archive with only the directory... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hpvm_adm
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using tar to move directories

I have figured out how to create a tar file that holds all the files in a particular directory. The plan is to move the tar to a new system via FTP so that we can test the new system with our files and libraries. What I can't figure out is how to unzip the tar file; I keep getting messages that... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: KathyB148
8 Replies
virt-tar-out(1) 					      Virtualization Support						   virt-tar-out(1)

NAME
virt-tar-out - Pack a virtual machine disk image directory into a tarball. SYNOPSIS
virt-tar-out -a disk.img /dir files.tar virt-tar-out -d domain /dir files.tar virt-tar-out -d domain /dir - | gzip --best > files.tar.gz DESCRIPTION
"virt-tar-out" packs a virtual machine disk image directory into a tarball. The first parameter is the absolute path of the virtual machine directory. The second parameter is the tar file to write. Use "-" to write to standard output. EXAMPLES
Download the home directories from a guest: virt-tar-out -d MyGuest /home - | gzip --best > homes.tar.gz JUST A SHELL SCRIPT WRAPPER AROUND GUESTFISH
This command is just a simple shell script wrapper around the guestfish(1) "tar-out" command. For anything more complex than a trivial copy, you are probably better off using guestfish directly. OPTIONS
Since the shell script just passes options straight to guestfish, read guestfish(1) to see the full list of options. SEE ALSO
guestfish(1), virt-cat(1), virt-copy-in(1), virt-copy-out(1), virt-edit(1), virt-tar-in(1), <http://libguestfs.org/>. AUTHORS
Richard W.M. Jones ("rjones at redhat dot com") COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Red Hat Inc. <http://libguestfs.org/> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA. libguestfs-1.18.1 2013-12-07 virt-tar-out(1)