Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace field in the delimited file Post 303013801 by chetanojha on Wednesday 28th of February 2018 02:26:31 PM
Old 02-28-2018
Hi Aia, RudiC,

I have two files as below:

File1:

Code:
London:10
NewYork:4
Dubai:3
Manchester:12

File2:

PHP Code:
Sale|3|London|3|28022018
Approval
Agent1
|12|abc|abc|
Agent2|12|abc|abc|
Agent3|12|abc|abc|
Final|
3|All_Total 
Now the requirement to read the 3rd field of file2 i.e. "London" and find the value in File1 against London i.e.10.
Once you have 10 in a variable, replace the second field in File2 i.e. 3 with number 10.

I have been able to do the below so far:
To read 3rd field of File2 I user below:
Code:
var1=`head -1 File2 | awk -F\| '{print $5}'`

To read the corresponding value from File1- I am using below:
Code:
var2=`grep $var1 File1 |cut -d ':' -f 2`

But now I have to update the values in file2 with the var2. I want to update second field of File2 i.e. 3 with var2. I want to replace value only for row 1,2 and the last row.

Hope this will help.

Last edited by vgersh99; 02-28-2018 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: code tags, please

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing a field in pipe delimited TEXT File

Hi, I want to replace a field in a text delimited file with the actual number of records in the same file. HDR|ABCD|10-13-2008 to 10-19-2008.txt|10-19-2008|XYZ DTL|0|5464-1|0|02-02-2008|02-03-2008||||F||||||||| DTL|1|5464-1|1|02-02-2008|02-03-2008|1||JJJ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi0435
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count field frequency in a '|' delimited file

I have a large file with fields delimited by '|', and I want to run some analysis on it. What I want to do is count how many times each field is populated, or list the frequency of population for each field. I am in a Sun OS environment. Thanks, - CB (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChicagoBlues
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert a field into a tab delimited file

Hello, Can someone help me to do this with awk or sed? I have a file with multiple lines, each line has many fields separated with a tab. I would like to add one more field holding 'na' in between the first and second fields. old file looks like, 1, field1 field2 field3 ... 2, field1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssshen
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Insert Field into a tab-delimited file

Hello, I have about 100 files in a directory with fields which are tab delimited. I would like to append the file name as the first field and it has to be done as many times as the total lines in the file. For example, myFile1.txt has the following data: 1 x y z 2 a b ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace 3rd field of space delimited text file

how to replace the 3rd colum? Each line begins similarly, but they all ends variously. XX YY 03 variable text here XX YY 03 more variable text here XX YY 03 even more variable text here really long setence XX YY 03 variable numbers also appear 03 11. 123 456 XX YY 03 the occasional comma,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to remove the first field from a '|' delimited file

Hi I have a file with fields delimited by |. I need to remove the first field from the file. I tried cut but it just extracts that field. sample.output abc|100|name1 cde|200|name2 efg|300|name3 Output should be sample.output 100|name1 200|name2 300|name3 thanks Var (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: var285
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pad zeroes first field in a Delimited file

Need help. I tried using an awk command to pad zeroes. Unfortunately, the "|" pipe delimited character is gone when I tried to write the records to another file. awk -F \| ' {$1=sprintf("%06s", $1); print $0}' $CUSTFINAL2 > $CUSTFINAL3 BEFORE "KEYRECORD"|"SA ID"|"PER ID"|"SP ID"|"ACCT... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnhips
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a nth field from a comma delimited file

Hi, In my file (which is "," delimited and text qualifier is "), I have to extract a particualr field. file1: 1,"aa,b",4 expected is the 2nd field: aa,b I tried the basic cut -d "," -f 2 file 1, this gave me aa alone instead aa,b. A small hint ot help on this will be very... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

add new 'date field' in a pipe delimited file

i need to add a new field in a pipe delimited line. the field will be the current date today. aa|a|s|w|1 as|oiy|oiy|oiy|2 given that all lines are uniformed in the number of fields i want it to look like this:\ aa|a|s|w|1|20120126 as|oiy|oiy|oiy|2|20120126 please help :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kokoro
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Last field from a delimited file

Hi, I have a '~' delimited file and i want to remove the last field using awk. Please find the sample records below: 1428128~1~0~1100426~003~50220~005~14~0~194801~11~0~3~14~0~50419052335~0~0820652001~2~00653862 ~0~1~0~00126~1~20000110~20110423~R~ ~0~Z~1662.94~ ~002041~0045~Z~... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun Mishra
3 Replies
gfs_tool(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       gfs_tool(8)

NAME
gfs_tool - interface to gfs ioctl calls SYNOPSIS
gfs_tool COMMAND [OPTION] [PARAMETERS ...] DESCRIPTION
gfs_tool is an interface to a variety of the GFS ioctl calls. Specifying gfs_tool -h prints gfs_tool command line usage (help). Specifying gfs_tool -V prints the gfs_tool version information. COMMANDS
clearflag Flag File1 File2 ... Clear an attribute flag on a file. counters MountPoint [-c] [-i interval] Print out statistics about a filesystem. If -c is specified, gfs_tool keeps running printing out the statistics once per second or, if specified, the interval given with the -i option, in seconds. df MountPoint [-k]|[-H] Print out a space usage summary of a given filesystem. The information printed is more detailed than a standard "df". If -k is specified, the output is given in kilobytes (KB). If -H is specified, the output is given in human readable format (similar to df -h). If neither -k nor -H are specified, the output is given in file system blocks. freeze MountPoint Freeze (quiesce) a GFS cluster. getsb MountPoint Print out the superblock of a mounted filesystem. gettune MountPoint Print out the current values of the tuning parameters in a running filesystem. jindex MountPoint Print out the journal index of a mounted filesystem. layout File [buffersize] Print out on-disk layout information about a file or directory. Buffersize is the size of the buffer (in bytes) that gfs_tool allo- cates to store the file's metadata during processing. It defaults to 4194304 bytes. If you are printing a very big directory you may need to specify a bigger size. list List the currently mounted GFS filesystems. Each line represents a filesystem. The columns represent (in order): 1) A number that is a cookie that represents the mounted filesystem. 2) The name of the device that holds the filesystem (well, the name as the Linux kernel knows it). 3) The lock table field that the filesystem was mounted with. lockdump MountPoint [buffersize] Print out information about the locks this machine holds for a given filesystem. Buffersize is the size of the buffer (in bytes) that gfs_tool allocates to store the lock data during processing. It defaults to 4194304 bytes. margs arguments This loads arguments into the module what will override the mount options passed with the -o field on the next mount. See mount.gfs(8). reclaim File Returns unused on-disk metadata blocks to free blocks. rindex MountPoint Print out the resource group index of a mounted filesystem. quota MountPoint Print out the quota file of a mounted filesystem. Also see the "gfs_quota list" command. sb device proto [newvalue] View (and possibly replace) the name of the locking protocol in the file system superblock. The file system shouldn't be mounted by any client when you do this. sb device table [newvalue] View (and possibly replace) the name of the locking table in the file system superblock. The file system shouldn't be mounted by any client when you do this. sb device ondisk [newvalue] View (and possibly replace) the ondisk format number in the file system superblock. The file system shouldn't be mounted by any client when you do this. No one should have to use this. sb device multihost [newvalue] View (and possibly replace) the multihost format number in the file system superblock. The file system shouldn't be mounted by any client when you do this. No one should have to use this. sb device all Print out the superblock. setflag Flag File1 File2 ... Set an attribute flag on a file. There are four currently supported flags. They are jdata, directio, inherit_jdata, and inherit_directio. The jdata flag causes all the data written to a regular file to be journaled. The jdata flag can only be set (or cleared) if the file is zero length. The directio flag causes all I/O to a regular file to be Direct I/O, even if the O_DIRECT flag isn't used on the open() command. The inherit_jdata flag is set on a directory. It causes all new regular files created in that directory automatically inherit the jdata flag. The inherit_jdata is also inherited by any new subdirectories created in that directory. The inherit_directio flag is set on a directory. It causes all new regular files created in that directory automatically inherit the directio flag. The inherit_directio is also inherited by any new subdirectories created in that directory. settune MountPoint parameter newvalue Set the value of tuning parameter. Use gettune for a listing of tunable parameters. shrink MountPoint Causes any unused inodes to be thrown out of memory. stat File Print out extended stat information about a file. unfreeze MountPoint Unfreeze a GFS cluster. version Print out the version of GFS that this program goes with. withdraw MountPoint Cause GFS to abnormally shutdown a given filesystem on this node. gfs_tool(8)