Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem getting sed to work with variables Post 303013767 by RudiC on Wednesday 28th of February 2018 03:12:12 AM
Old 02-28-2018
What's the contents of ${FIELD[1]}? How did you define it?
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Working with Script variables; seems like this should work...

The following seems quite basic but does not seem to work. Anybody know why? $ g=1 $ echo $g 1 $ echo abc$g abc1 $ abc$g=hello ksh: abc1=hello: not found $ echo $abc1 ksh: abc1: parameter not set It works when I specify the full variable name $ abc1=hello $ echo $abc1 hello ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chong Lee
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed command not work with variables?

I am trying to write a simple script which will take a variable with sed to take a line out of a text and display it #!/bin/sh exec 3<list while read list<&3 do echo $list sed -n '$list p'<list2 done this does not work, yet when I replace the $list variable from the sed command and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MaestroRage
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cd command doesn't work through variables

Hi.... cd command is not working when dual string drive/volume name is passed to cd through variables....... For Ex.... y=/Volumes/Backup\ vipin/ cd $y the above command gives error....... anyone with a genuine solution ? (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipinchauhan222
16 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED 4.1.4 - INI File Change Problem in Variables= in Specific [Sections] (Guru Help)

GNU sed version 4.1.4 on Windows XP SP3 from GnuWin32 I think that I've come across a seemingly simple text file change problem on a INI formatted file that I can't do with SED without side effects edge cases biting me. I've tried to think of various ways of doing this elegantly and quickly... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JakFrost
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed with variables problem

I am writing a script with a sed call that needs to use a variable and still have quotations be present in the substitution. Example: sed -i "s/Replacable.\+$/Replaced="root@$VAR"/g" this outputs: where $VAR = place Replaced=root@place and i need Replaced="root@place" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcdef
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading external variables does not work

... declare vINIFILE vINIFILE=$1 ... echo "The name of the File is $vINIFILE" >>mail_tmp echo "" >> mail_tmp.$$ ... grep RUNJOB=0 $vINIFILE >>tmp_filter ... So the strange is in echo-statement I get the correct output for $vINIFILE wrtitten into the file mail_tmp. But the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ABE2202
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl variables inside Net::Telnet::Cisco Module doesn't work

I am writing perl script to configure Cisco device but Variables inside Net::Telnet::Cisco Module doesn't work and passed to device without resolving. Please advise. here is a sample of script: use Net::Telnet::Cisco; $device = "10.14.199.1"; ($o1, $o2, $o3, $o4) = split(/\./,$device);... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmed_zaher
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why does this SED example work?

$ x="/home/guru/temp/f1.txt" $ echo $x | sed 's^.*/^^' This will give the absolute path f1.txt. I don't understand WHY it works. How is it determining the last "/" character exactly? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with variables in sed

Hello! I have a problem to insert variables with sed... And I can't find the solution. :confused: I would like to display one/few line(s) between 2 values. This line works well sed -n '/Dec 12 10:42/,/Dec 12 10:47/p' Thoses lines with variables doesn't work and I don't find the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Castelior
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Bash] passing variables to executable doesn't work

Bash version 4.4.20 / Ubuntu 16.0.4 Hello, I tried to write a script that gathers some data and passes them to an executable. The executed application answers with an error. The echo output in the script returns correct values. If I copy/paste the last echo command, it get's executed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushi2k7
2 Replies
FORMS(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						  FORMS(3)

NAME
field_back, field_fore, field_pad, set_field_back, set_field_fore, set_field_pad -- form library LIBRARY
Curses Form Library (libform, -lform) SYNOPSIS
#include <form.h> chtype field_back(FIELD *field); chtype field_fore(FIELD *field); int field_pad(FIELD *field); int set_field_back(FIELD *field, chtype attribute); int set_field_fore(FIELD *field, chtype attribute); int set_field_pad(FIELD *field, int pad); DESCRIPTION
Calling the function field_back() will return the character attributes that will be applied to a field that is not the current field, these attributes can be set by the set_field_back() function. The field_fore() function returns the character attributes that will be used to indicate that a field is the currently active one on the form, this attribute may be set by using the set_field_fore() function. The pad character for a field is the character that will be printed in all field locations not occupied with actual field contents. The pad charac- ter can be retrieved by calling the field_pad() function, the pad character is set by using the set_field_pad() function. RETURN VALUES
Functions returning pointers will return NULL if an error is detected. The functions that return an int will return one of the following error values: E_OK The function was successful. SEE ALSO
curses(3), forms(3) NOTES
The header <form.h> automatically includes both <curses.h> and <eti.h>. BSD
January 1, 2001 BSD