Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Convert files to UTF-8 on AIX 7.1 Post 303013747 by cero on Tuesday 27th of February 2018 07:23:23 AM
Old 02-27-2018
Hi Don,
thanks for pointing out that my post was not that clear - I did not suggest to copy the Linux magic file to AIX (and am nearly sure that it would not work), but my post can be interpreted like that.
The magic file would be my starting point if I'd have to solve JeanM-1's problem (and the Byte Order Mark the first thing I'd start playing around with to see if I get anywhere).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Howto convert Ascii -> UTF-8 & back C++

While working with russian text under FreeBSD&MySQL I need to convert a string from MySQL to the Unicode format. I've just started my way in C++ under FreeBSD , so please explain me how can I get ascii code of Char variable and also how can i get a character into variable with the specified ascii... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: macron
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding files with UTF-8 BOM

Hi, there: I am relatively new to Unix. So, I am not even sure if I am asking is an easy or difficult task. I want to peform GREP like command which will generate a list of files with a file format of UTF-8. I would especially like to know whether the files use UTF-8 or UTF-8N (in other... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kotoponus
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Convert UTF-8 encoded hex value to a character

Hi, I have a non-ascii character (Ŵ), which can be represented in UTF-8 encoding as equivalent hex value (\xC5B4). Is there a function in unix to convert this hex value back to display the charcter ? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumirmehta
10 Replies

4. Red Hat

Can't convert 7bit ASCII to UTF-8

Hello, I am trying to convert a 7bit ASCII file to UTF-8. I have used iconv before though it can't recognize it for some reason and says unknown file encoding. When I used ascii2uni package with different package, ./ascii2uni -a K -a I -a J -a X test_file > new_test_file It still... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockf1bull
2 Replies

5. AIX

How to print UTF-8 from AIX (lp)

Hello everyone! I have a problem with printing ru_RU.UTF-8 from AIX using lp command. #locale -a C POSIX RU_RU.UTF-8 RU_RU en_US.8859-15 en_US.ISO8859-1 en_US ru_RU.ISO8859-5 ru_RU #locale LANG=en_US.UTF-8 LC_COLLATE=RU_RU.UTF-8 LC_CTYPE=RU_RU.UTF-8 LC_MONETARY="en_US" (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: burnAF
3 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Changing txt files to pure UTF-8

I have two Macs running 10.7.5. We download .txt files from remote site to these local Macs using 'rsync -e ssh -avz...'. The files on Mac1 are in the required format of pure UTF-8. The files on Mac2 are in UTF-8 (no BOM) which is wrong format for us; these formats are indicated using BBEdit.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sovdia
1 Replies

7. Linux

Help to Convert file from UNIX UTF-8 to Windows UTF-16

Hi, I have tried to convert a UTF-8 file to windows UTF-16 format file as below from unix machine unix2dos < testing.txt | iconv -f UTF-8 -t UTF-16 > out.txt and i am getting some chinese characters as below which l opened the converted file on windows machine. LANG=en_US.UTF-8... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phanidhar6039
3 Replies

8. AIX

Install EN_GB UTF-8 on AIX 5.3

Hello Gang Can you please help me in installing EN_GB UTF-8 on AIX 5.3 . I have worked on Solaris and Linux, but not familier with AIX so hoping if someone show the roadmap. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ningy
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to convert utf-8 to WINDOWS-1251

Hello all i have utf-8 file that i try to convert to WINDOWS-1251 on linux without any success the file name is utf-8 when i try to do : file -bi test.txt it gives me : text/plain; charset=utf-8 when i try to convert the file i do : /usr/bin/iconv -f UTF-8 -t WINDOWS-1251 test.txt >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert UTF-8 file to ASCII/ISO8859-1 OR replace characters

I am trying to develop a script which will work on a source UTF-8 file and perform one or more of the following It will accept the target encoding as an argument e.g. US-ASCII or ISO-8859-1, etc 1. It should replace all occurrences of characters outside target character set by " " (space) or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemkiran.s
3 Replies
fileutil::magic::filetype(n)					  file utilities				      fileutil::magic::filetype(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
fileutil::magic::filetype - Procedures implementing file-type recognition SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.4 package require fileutil::magic::filetype ?1.0.2? ::fileutil::magic::filetype filename _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides a command for the recognition of file types in pure Tcl. The core part of the recognizer was generated from a "magic(5)" file containing the checks to perform to recognize files, and associated file-types. Beware! This recognizer is large, about 276 Kilobyte of generated Tcl code. ::fileutil::magic::filetype filename This command is similar to the command fileutil::fileType. The output of the command for the specified file is a string describing the type of the file. This list will be empty if the type of the file is not recognized. REFERENCES
[1] File(1) sources [ftp://ftp.astron.com/pub/file/] This site contains the current sources for the file command, including the magic definitions used by it. The latter were used by us to generate this recognizer. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category fileutil :: magic of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. SEE ALSO
file(1), fileutil, magic(5) KEYWORDS
file recognition, file type, file utilities, type CATEGORY
Programming tools fumagic 1.0.2 fileutil::magic::filetype(n)