Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Convert files to UTF-8 on AIX 7.1 Post 303013740 by cero on Tuesday 27th of February 2018 04:55:32 AM
Old 02-27-2018
Hi,

the file command uses a file called magic to identify the file type. According to the POSIX man page the -m flag can be used to specify an own magic file and I think the AIX file command supports this flag too.
Maybe you can obtain or create a magic file that fits your needs.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Howto convert Ascii -> UTF-8 & back C++

While working with russian text under FreeBSD&MySQL I need to convert a string from MySQL to the Unicode format. I've just started my way in C++ under FreeBSD , so please explain me how can I get ascii code of Char variable and also how can i get a character into variable with the specified ascii... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: macron
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding files with UTF-8 BOM

Hi, there: I am relatively new to Unix. So, I am not even sure if I am asking is an easy or difficult task. I want to peform GREP like command which will generate a list of files with a file format of UTF-8. I would especially like to know whether the files use UTF-8 or UTF-8N (in other... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kotoponus
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Convert UTF-8 encoded hex value to a character

Hi, I have a non-ascii character (Ŵ), which can be represented in UTF-8 encoding as equivalent hex value (\xC5B4). Is there a function in unix to convert this hex value back to display the charcter ? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumirmehta
10 Replies

4. Red Hat

Can't convert 7bit ASCII to UTF-8

Hello, I am trying to convert a 7bit ASCII file to UTF-8. I have used iconv before though it can't recognize it for some reason and says unknown file encoding. When I used ascii2uni package with different package, ./ascii2uni -a K -a I -a J -a X test_file > new_test_file It still... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockf1bull
2 Replies

5. AIX

How to print UTF-8 from AIX (lp)

Hello everyone! I have a problem with printing ru_RU.UTF-8 from AIX using lp command. #locale -a C POSIX RU_RU.UTF-8 RU_RU en_US.8859-15 en_US.ISO8859-1 en_US ru_RU.ISO8859-5 ru_RU #locale LANG=en_US.UTF-8 LC_COLLATE=RU_RU.UTF-8 LC_CTYPE=RU_RU.UTF-8 LC_MONETARY="en_US" (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: burnAF
3 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Changing txt files to pure UTF-8

I have two Macs running 10.7.5. We download .txt files from remote site to these local Macs using 'rsync -e ssh -avz...'. The files on Mac1 are in the required format of pure UTF-8. The files on Mac2 are in UTF-8 (no BOM) which is wrong format for us; these formats are indicated using BBEdit.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sovdia
1 Replies

7. Linux

Help to Convert file from UNIX UTF-8 to Windows UTF-16

Hi, I have tried to convert a UTF-8 file to windows UTF-16 format file as below from unix machine unix2dos < testing.txt | iconv -f UTF-8 -t UTF-16 > out.txt and i am getting some chinese characters as below which l opened the converted file on windows machine. LANG=en_US.UTF-8... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phanidhar6039
3 Replies

8. AIX

Install EN_GB UTF-8 on AIX 5.3

Hello Gang Can you please help me in installing EN_GB UTF-8 on AIX 5.3 . I have worked on Solaris and Linux, but not familier with AIX so hoping if someone show the roadmap. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ningy
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to convert utf-8 to WINDOWS-1251

Hello all i have utf-8 file that i try to convert to WINDOWS-1251 on linux without any success the file name is utf-8 when i try to do : file -bi test.txt it gives me : text/plain; charset=utf-8 when i try to convert the file i do : /usr/bin/iconv -f UTF-8 -t WINDOWS-1251 test.txt >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert UTF-8 file to ASCII/ISO8859-1 OR replace characters

I am trying to develop a script which will work on a source UTF-8 file and perform one or more of the following It will accept the target encoding as an argument e.g. US-ASCII or ISO-8859-1, etc 1. It should replace all occurrences of characters outside target character set by " " (space) or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemkiran.s
3 Replies
Convert::NLS_DATE_FORMAT(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			     Convert::NLS_DATE_FORMAT(3pm)

NAME
Convert::NLS_DATE_FORMAT - Convert Oracle NLS_DATE_FORMAT <-> strftime Format Strings SYNOPSIS
use Convert::NLS_DATE_FORMAT qw(oracle2posix posix2oracle); my $strptime = oracle2posix($NLS_DATE_FORMAT); $NLS_DATE_FORMAT = posix2oracle($strftime); DESCRIPTION
Convert Oracle's NLS_DATE_FORMAT string into a strptime format string, or the reverse. Functions oracle2posix Takes an Oracle NLS_DATE_FORMAT string and converts it into formatting string compatible with "strftime" or "strptime". my $format = oracle2posix('YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS'); # '%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S' Character sequences that should not be translated may be enclosed within double quotes, as specified in the Oracle documentation. my $format = oracle2posix('YYYY-MM-DD"T"HH24:MI:SS'); # '%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S' posix2oracle Takes a "strftime" or "strptime" formatting string and converts it into an Oracle NLS_DATE_FORMAT string. It is possible to create strings which Oracle will not accept as valid NLS_DATE_FORMAT strings. my $format = posix2oracle('%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S'); # 'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS' EXPORT None by default. "oracle2posix" and "posix2oracle" when asked. SEE ALSO
DateTime::Format::Oracle. AUTHOR
Nathan Gray, <kolibrie@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2005, 2006, 2011, 2012 Nathan Gray This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself, either Perl version 5.8.4 or, at your option, any later version of Perl 5 you may have available. perl v5.14.2 2012-01-18 Convert::NLS_DATE_FORMAT(3pm)