Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash Script: Echo continuation across many lines Post 303013736 by kristinu on Tuesday 27th of February 2018 02:47:50 AM
Old 02-27-2018
Ohhh, same thing as before is it. Had forgotten about that

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mac OS X Script Continuation Character?

Some of my scripts have very long commands that go beyond the horizontal scroll limits of my screen (1024 x 768), even with a very small font. Is there a continuation character (like the option+l "ell") in AppleScript that will let me break up the line? Right now I just press a hard return to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cassj
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script with error output but continuation in script?

I have written a basic fetching script. The script logs into an FTP site, downloads a .zip file, then unzips and moves the files to the necessary folders, then deletes them, etc. The problem I have is if one of the files no longer exists on the FTP site or another part of the script fails, then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: daem0n
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script too many fields wraps to multiple lines

Hello. I'm trying to write a script to take a 5 field file, do some math, and extend it to 9 fields. Problem is, the script keeps wrapping it to two lines, even tho 9 fields, tab separated (even comma separated) doesn't fill the screen. Even if it did, I'm eventually copying it to an excel ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JoeNess
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script find longest line/lines in several files

Hello everyone... I need to find out, how to find longest line or possibly lines in several files which are arguments for script. The thing is, that I tried some possibilities before, but nothing worked correctly. Example when i use: awk ' { if ( length > L ) { L=length ;s=$0 } }END{ print... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1tempus1
23 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in bash echo

I am using the echo command to send the output to the file. I am using the following code: echo "service started successfully\n" > log But when I do: cat log I get: service started successfully\n Instead of a newline after the "successfully" Why is that and how can I fix it? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: programAngel
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo in bash

Why does echo supress line breaks in bash? I'm working on a script that starts like this: words=`sort list.txt | uniq` echo $words | wc -l I need to number the lines and then do other stuff. I'd use jot, but it's not installed, so I hope I can get seq to do what I want. But first I need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mregine
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preserve extented ascii character when run echo comand inside bash script

Hi everyone, I'm echo some text with extended ascii characters as below: echo -e "Pr\xE9sentation du spectacle" > output or echo -e "Présentation du spectacle" > outputIf I open the file created I see this text Présentation du spectacleThe text is shown correctly in this created file when... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - printing range of lines from text file

I'm working on a new exercise that calls for a script that will take in two arguments on the command line (representing the range of line numbers) and will subsequently print those lines from a a specified file. Command line would look like this: ./lines_script.bash 5 15 <file.txt. The script would... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksmarine1980
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to store result in variable for other lines in script to use

I can not figure out how to capture the $filename variable store by the bash. #!/bin/bash # oldest folder stored as variable for analysis, version log created, and quality indicators matched to run dir=/home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/test find "$dir" -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1 -type d -printf... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Continuation lines to be glued back to original line

I am parsing a log with this format: 06:36:12.230 details here 06:36:12.250 details here 06:36:12.260 details here continuation here 06:36:12.360 details here As you can see, some detail info contains one or more "\n" and it breaks my line-oriented parsing. I need to get those... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: migurus
3 Replies
isaexec(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 					       isaexec(3C)

NAME
isaexec - invoke isa-specific executable SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int isaexec(const char *path, char *const argv[], char *const envp[]); DESCRIPTION
The isaexec() function takes the path specified as path and breaks it into directory and file name components. It enquires from the running system the list of supported instruction set architectures; see isalist(5). The function traverses the list for an executable file in named subdirectories of the original directory. When such a file is located, execve() is invoked with argv[] and envp[]. See exec(2). RETURN VALUES
If no file is located, isaexec() returns ENOENT. Other return values are the same as for execve(). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Example of isaexec() function. On a system whose isalist is sparcv7 sparc the program int main(int argc, char *argv[], char *envp[]) { return (isaexec("/bin/thing", argv, envp)); } will look first for an executable file named /bin/sparcv7/thing, then for an executable file named /bin/sparc/thing. It will invoke execve() on the first executable file it finds named thing. On that same system, a program called /u/bin/tofu can cause either /u/bin/sparcv7/tofu or /u/bin/sparc/tofu to be invoked using the follow- ing code: int main(int argc, char *argv[], char *envp[]) { return (isaexec(getexecname(), argv, envp)); } ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
exec(2), getexecname(3C), attributes(5), isalist(5) SunOS 5.10 20 Mar 1998 isaexec(3C)