Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grabbing text between two lines with shell variables. Post 303013459 by MadeInGermany on Wednesday 21st of February 2018 03:55:26 PM
Old 02-21-2018
Or use a control variable (p).
Code:
... | awk -v vIn="$wIn" -v vOut="$wOut" '($0 ~ vOut) {p=0} p {$1=$1; print} ($0 ~ vIn) {p=1}'

The order of the three statements determine if the boundaries are included. Here both are excluded.
This is Regular Expression: special charcters need to be escaped in $wIn and $wOut.
The following variant works with plain strings:
Code:
... | awk -v vIn="$wIn" -v vOut="$wOut" 'index($0,vOut) {p=0} p  {$1=$1; print} index($0,vIn) {p=1}'

Last edited by MadeInGermany; 02-21-2018 at 05:05 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grabbing lines out of a file based on a date

Hello, I'm new to this forum and am not exactly sure where to post this question, so I'll start here. I'm looking for a command or simple script that will read in a large flat file (contains 2005 data) and will output a new file based on a quarter. Within each row, position 87-90 is a julian... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsp18974
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quick question on grep: grabbing lines above and below

Just a quick question on grep/egrep. I am writing a shell script that is looking for certain strings in a text file. It works well and gets exactly what I need. However, the way the program writes to the text file, it puts the timestamp in a line above the string I am looking for and the path... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thecoffeeguy
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grabbing variables and comparing

I have two computers with dynamic IP addresses and am using dyndns so that they are identifiable as the same computer even if their IPs change (we'll call them host1.dyndns.com and host2.dyndns.com). I also have a remote server which I would like to store my computers' IP addresses on. There is a... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kerpm
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grabbing filename from text file....should be easy!

Quick question...I'm trying to grab the .tif file name from this output from our fax server. What is the best way i can do this in a bash script? I have been looking at regular expressions with bash or using awk but having some trouble. thanks! The only output i want is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kuliksco
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use sed to copy specific lines from a file using shell variables?

hello! I am trying to use sed to copy specific set of lines from a file for which the starting and ending line numbers of the lines to be copied are stored in shell variables. How can i copy those lines? if the input_file is something like this and if the following is the script a=2 b=4... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_ba
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grabbing text and using that text in a newly created line

Hello, I am really stuck and I'm hoping somone can help. I have a text file that is similar to this: <--First User--> <function>account='uid=user1,....... <--Second User--> <function>account='uid=user2,.......What I want is to grab the usernames after "uid=" and before the following... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mafia910
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grabbing a chunk of text from a file

Hi, I have a Report.txt file. Say the contents of this file are : 1 2 3 4 5 7 df v g gf e r dfkf lsdk dslsdklsdk Report Start: xxxxxxdad asdffsdfsdfsdfasfasdffasdf sadfasdfsadffsfsdf Report End. sdfasdfasdf sdfasfdasdfasdfasdfasdf sadfasdfsdf I need to grab from Report Start... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrskittles99
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pass variables from a text file to a shell script

Hi, I have a text file as follows: a.txt ------ STEPS=3 STEP_DURATION=100 INTERVAL=60 I want to use these values in a shell script. How to go about this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: akarnya
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grabbing data between 2 points in text file

I have a text file that shows the output of my solar inverters. I want to separate this into sections. overview , device 1 , device 2 , device 3. Each device has different number of lines. but they all have unique starting points. Overview starts with 6 #'s, Devices have 4#'s and their data starts... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mikey
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: passing shell variables through and extracting text

Hello, new to the forums and to awk. Glad to be here. :o I want to pass two shell (#!/bin/sh) variables through to awk and use them. They will determine where to start and stop text extraction. The code with the variables hard-coded in awk works fine; the same code, but with the shell... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bedtime
7 Replies
platform::shell(n)					       Tcl Bundled Packages						platform::shell(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
platform::shell - System identification support code and utilities SYNOPSIS
package require platform::shell ?1.1.4? platform::shell::generic shell platform::shell::identify shell platform::shell::platform shell _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The platform::shell package provides several utility commands useful for the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell. This package allows the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell different from the shell running the package. The only requirement is that the other shell (identified by its path), is actually executable on the current machine. While for most platform this means that the architecture of the interrogated shell is identical to the architecture of the running shell this is not generally true. A counter example are all platforms which have 32 and 64 bit variants and where a 64bit system is able to run 32bit code. For these running and interrogated shell may have different 32/64 bit settings and thus different identifiers. For applications like a code repository it is important to identify the architecture of the shell which will actually run the installed packages, versus the architecture of the shell running the repository software. COMMANDS
platform::shell::identify shell This command does the same identification as platform::identify, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::generic shell This command does the same identification as platform::generic, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::platform shell This command returns the contents of tcl_platform(platform) for the specified Tcl shell. KEYWORDS
operating system, cpu architecture, platform, architecture platform::shell 1.1.4 platform::shell(n)