Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Understanding ZFS Snapshots - why will it utilize space ? Post 303013453 by Peasant on Wednesday 21st of February 2018 02:08:33 PM
Old 02-21-2018
In a nutshell yes.
It is confusing a bit from user perspective,zfs used/usedsnap etc.

I would recommend reading about snapshots and COW in general.
Any tech that uses those, basically works on same principle.

Range is from filesystems (zfs,brtfs etc.) to enterprise storage systems with proprietary HW/SW.
Everything works the same way more or less.

Lets say blocks need to be modified due to write request.

Instead of overwriting blocks, zfs will write a change a new blocks, while old blocks will still contain old data, and that data will remain on disk until needed and is considered free.

This is what enables snapshots,clones, rollback etc. which is fundamental design of zfs filesystem/volume manager.

If there is a snapshot (pointers to old blocks at the time snapshot is taken), those will not be considered free but will remain unchanged (read the blog i posted, it is extremely good).
This is what enables snapshots,clones, rollback etc.

ZFS is a great and fairly complex product code wise with a lot of time and effort put into it.

One can only put a hat down to those SUN engineers behind it.
Those guys were ahead of their time.

Also, i must apologize upfront for information given in this post due to minor alcohol intoxication Smilie
This happens you know, when you are in automation business.
As a folks say here
'An idle mind is a devils workshop' Smilie

Regards
Peasant.
This User Gave Thanks to Peasant For This Post:

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to utilize the 2nd hard disk space in x86 solaris 5.10

I have 2 hard disks ,one hard disk(40gb) completely for windows Os,and the other(120gb) for solaris Os. In the second hard disk.I have utilised around 10gb for the solaris installation and also partitioned with the available 10gb space for the solaris x86 OS. Now i need to utilise the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayaprakash
8 Replies

2. Solaris

Recommended Patch Cluster Using ZFS Snapshots

I have a question regarding installing recommended patch clusters via ZFS snapshots. Someone wrote a pretty good blog about it here: Initial Program Load: Live Upgrade to install the recommended patch cluster on a ZFS snapshot The person's article is similar to what I've done in the past. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: christr
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Permissions to run ZFS Snapshots

Hi, I work as an Oracle Technical consultant (mainly DBA related), and I have used ZFS snapshots on previous projects which has helped me a great deal. I often take snapshots before doing some dev work, and then I can roll it back if I want to start again, or if it goes pear shaped!! I have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AndyG
4 Replies
backintime-gnome(1)						   USER COMMANDS					       backintime-gnome(1)

NAME
backintime-gnome - a simple backup tool for Gnome. SYNOPSIS
backintime-gnome [ [--snapshots] path | --backup | --backup-job | --snapshots-path | --snapshots-list | --snapshots-list-path | --last-snapshot | --last-snapshot-path | --help | --version | --license ] DESCRIPTION
Back In Time is a simple backup tool for Linux. This is the Gnome version. For more information about Back In Time see backintime man page. If you want to run it as root you need to use 'gksu'. OPTIONS
path go directly to the specified file/folder -s, --snapshots show snapshots dialog for the specified path (only if there is no other dialog displayed) -b, --backup take a snapshot now (if needed) --backup-job take a snapshot (if needed) depending on schedule rules (used for cron jobs) --snapshots-path display path where is saves the snapshots (if configured) --snapshots-list display the list of snapshot IDs (if any) --snapshots-list-path display the paths to snapshots (if any) --last-snapshot display last snapshot ID (if any) --last-snapshot-path display the path to the last snapshot (if any) -h, --help display a short help -v, --version show version --license show license SEE ALSO
backintime, backintime-kde4. Back In Time also has a website: http://backintime.le-web.org AUTHOR
This manual page was written by BIT Team(<bit-team@lists.launchpad.net>). version 1.0.10 Mars 2009 backintime-gnome(1)