Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Understanding ZFS Snapshots - why will it utilize space ? Post 303013443 by javanoob on Wednesday 21st of February 2018 11:58:55 AM
Old 02-21-2018
Hi Peasant,

Thanks for your reply.
Can I look at it this way ->

1) When file1 is deleted, there is actually no change done; just that snap1 and snap2 will still need to refer to this deleted file; hence USED for snap1 and snap2 remain the same, and USSSNAP will reflect 100M (because that the filesize of file1)

2) when snap1 is deleted, the only snap that still needs to refer to "deleted file1" is snap2. hence, snap2 is "holding on/USED" to 100M of the zpool and if snap2 is deleted, file1's space is 100% freed

am I right ?

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to utilize the 2nd hard disk space in x86 solaris 5.10

I have 2 hard disks ,one hard disk(40gb) completely for windows Os,and the other(120gb) for solaris Os. In the second hard disk.I have utilised around 10gb for the solaris installation and also partitioned with the available 10gb space for the solaris x86 OS. Now i need to utilise the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayaprakash
8 Replies

2. Solaris

Recommended Patch Cluster Using ZFS Snapshots

I have a question regarding installing recommended patch clusters via ZFS snapshots. Someone wrote a pretty good blog about it here: Initial Program Load: Live Upgrade to install the recommended patch cluster on a ZFS snapshot The person's article is similar to what I've done in the past. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: christr
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Permissions to run ZFS Snapshots

Hi, I work as an Oracle Technical consultant (mainly DBA related), and I have used ZFS snapshots on previous projects which has helped me a great deal. I often take snapshots before doing some dev work, and then I can roll it back if I want to start again, or if it goes pear shaped!! I have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AndyG
4 Replies
XZDIFF(1)							     XZ Utils								 XZDIFF(1)

NAME
xzcmp, xzdiff, lzcmp, lzdiff - compare compressed files SYNOPSIS
xzcmp [cmp_options] file1 [file2] xzdiff [diff_options] file1 [file2] lzcmp [cmp_options] file1 [file2] lzdiff [diff_options] file1 [file2] DESCRIPTION
xzcmp and xdiff invoke cmp(1) or diff(1) on files compressed with xz(1), lzma(1), gzip(1), or bzip2(1). All options specified are passed directly to cmp or diff. If only one file is specified, then the files compared are file1 (which must have a suffix of a supported com- pression format) and file1 from which the compression format suffix has been stripped. If two files are specified, then they are uncom- pressed if necessary and fed to cmp(1) or diff(1). The exit status from cmp or diff is preserved. The names lzcmp and lzdiff are provided for backward compatibility with LZMA Utils. SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), xz(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), zdiff(1) BUGS
Messages from the cmp(1) or diff(1) programs refer to temporary filenames instead of those specified. Tukaani 2009-07-05 XZDIFF(1)