Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 11 Global zone patching having Solaris 10 branded zone Post 303013404 by amity on Wednesday 21st of February 2018 01:34:03 AM
Old 02-21-2018
Thanks Peasant for your inputs

We follow patching procedure mention in Oracle docs for branded zones which say that we will create the snapshot of rpool in branded zone and then create the clone from it and promoting the clone and mount of clone on /mnt mountpoint and then solaris 10 recommended patchset will be implemented on clone and activate the clone to be mounted as root filesystem after completion of patching and reboot of branded zone.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris Zone : Non global Zone check failed

Hi All , I try to install some packages in my global zone... On the execution of the installion of the script it quits by saying the error "Non global zone check failed" Kindly help me in this regard Thanks in advance, jeganr (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
7 Replies

2. Solaris

Prerequisites for Solaris10 Branded Zone within Solaris 11 Express

Dear all, we are trying to install a Solaris10 Branded Zone on a Solaris 11 Express system getting this message: ***The image patch level is downrev for running in a solaris10 branded zone*** The Sparc Solaris 10 system is running Release 11/06 and Patch 119254-70 is installed. Does the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: xunil321
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 9 branded zone on a Solaris 10 server

I have a T5220 running Solaris 10. I have a application that can only run on Solaris 9. I want to build a branded Solaris 9 zone for this application on the Solaris 10 Server. What steps would I need to accomplish this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soupbone38
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris 10 local zone on Solaris 11 global zone

Hi, A quick question: Can Solaris 10 local zones be moved to a Solaris 11 global zone and work well? Thank you in advance! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Branded Solaris 10 zone no network

I am trying to create a branded 10 zone on a Solaris 11.1 control domain. I am using a flar image (cpio) from an existing LDOM. Here are the steps taken after flarcreate. #zonecfg -z <device> >create -b >set brand=solaris10 >set zonepath=/zonez/<device> >set ip-type=exclusive >add net... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aeroforce
1 Replies

6. Solaris

NFS server on Solaris 10 branded zone

I am trying to get a NFS share on a Solaris 10 branded zone. I have read that this is not possible...but I was hoping someone here could tell me different. share -F nfs -o ro,anon=0 /dir This would really surprise me that you cannot do this. Thanks (2 Replies)
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 10 branded zone with IPMP

All. I am trying to create a 10 branded zone on a Sol 11.1 T5. The Global is using IPMP...so aggregating is out of the question. Has anyone successfully created a branded zone with IPMP? If they have can you please show me the steps you took to get this to run. Thanks (4 Replies)
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Branded zone Solaris 9

Hi, I want to install branded zone sol 9 in sol 10. I keep getting same error. Please advice me. Thanks. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mzainal
12 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 11 zone has no external network access (except to Global Zone)

Hi, hoping someone can help, its been a while since I used Solaris. After creating a NGZ (non global zone), the NGZ can access the GZ (Global Zone) and the GZ can access the NGZ (using ssh, zlogin) However, the NGZ cannot access any other netwqork devices, it can't even see the default router ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GazinLincoln
2 Replies
ffm(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							    ffm(4)

NAME
ffm - File-on-File Mounting File System STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: fattach(): XSH4.2 fdetach(): XSH4.2 Refer to standards(5) for more information about industry standards and their associated tags. DESCRIPTION
The File-on-File Mounting (FFM) file system allows regular files, character device special files, or block device special files to be mounted on regular files or directories. The ffm file system is used with the System V Release 4-compatible library functions fattach(3) and detach(3) to enable a user process to have one file descriptor pointing to the data associated with a named file and a named STREAM. When one name is active, the other name is invisible. For example, a user application mounts a file descriptor from a file named a_file on a file that is named b_file. The file descriptor of file a_file is accessible by two names, a_file and b_file. However, when the user application attempts to open either file, only the file descriptor for a_file is returned: the file descriptor for b_file is invisible while a_file is mounted over it. The fattach(3) function mounts a file over another; the fdetach(3) function removes the association so the underlying file can be accessed. The user process can also mount a regular file over a regular file in order for it to be a clone of the underlying file. [Do not confuse this clone with an AdvFS clone fileset.] In this case, the clone file is a character device special file that is associated with a device driver that handles such files. As a result, a user can specify one clone entry and then open this device multiple times. Each time the device is opened, a new vnode is obtained but exactly the same device behavoir is also obtained: the behavior is cloned. That mount occurs if the -o clone option is used in the mount command or as an element of a ffm line in the /etc/fstab file. In this case, there are two files with identical contents, separate names, and separate file descriptors. EXAMPLES
The following example shows an ffm mount of a_file on b_file. If the du command were executed, its display would show a_file in the file system column and b_file in the Mounted on column: # mount -t ffm a_file b_file The following example shows an ffm mount of a_file on b_file, with the mount -o clone option specifying that a_file is a clone of b_file. # mount -t ffm -o clone a_file b_file RESTRICTIONS
The user process must be the root user or must be the owner of the files and must have write permissions for the files. [Tru64 UNIX] Before you can use the ffm file system, you must configure the kernel option FFM_FS into the kernel. See System Administra- tion for information about configuring the kernel. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: fdetach(8), mount(8) Functions: fattach(3), fdetach(3), isastream(3), chmod(2), mount(2) Interfaces: streamio(7) Files: fstab(4) Standards: standards(5) delim off ffm(4)