Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Creating new directories
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Creating new directories Post 303013235 by milhan on Sunday 18th of February 2018 07:39:35 AM
Old 02-18-2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristinu
Not an assertion, just a clarification. Sometime there might be some option or whatever to delete things. But as you mention it's ok.
It is always a good idea to make use of the man pages on the system you are using those unix commands.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

creating directories

how do i create directories using command in my unix system, i could do with knowing how to do it with absolute pathnames and relative pathnames please (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: carlvernon
3 Replies

2. HP-UX

creating directories on the same box

I have two login accounts 'fup04a' and 'fup04c' on the same unix box after log in using 'fup04a' and if I try creating a directory 'new' drwxrwxr-x 2 fup04a fup04a 4096 Nov 14 14:06 new but if i try the same with fup04c drw-rw-r-x 2 fup04c fup04c 4096 Nov 14... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek_damodaran
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed with creating challenging bash script with creating directories

Hi, Can someone help me with creating a bash shell script. I need to create a script that gets a positive number n as an argument. The script must create n directories in the current directory with names like map_1, map_2 etcetera. Each directory must be contained within its predecessor. So... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating Directories

I have many pdf files with similar naming conventions as this one: AC41_AC85_86_AC128_129_MC171_173_SF_207_FMV.pdf. It is a pdf file containing evaluations for these locations: AC41, AC85, AC86, AC128, AC129, MC171, and MC173. I want to create a directory for every location and put the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ndnkyd
3 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Creating directories within a directory?

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Ok i need to create a directory within another directory in one command. I'm already in a directory to. I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gangsta
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with array and creating directories

I have an interesting requirement. I have declaried an array like :- arr=`find . ! -name "." | xargs -I {} echo {} | cut -c 2-${#}` Then i will try to access the array elements like :- i=0 for i in ${arr}; do Here comes the confusions, the array elements are basically dir and files stored... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Renjesh
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating timestamped directories/files in expect

Hi, I am looking for the syntax to provide a timestamped log_file in expect. Basically I want the equivalent of: /outputs/`date +%d%m%y`/session`date +%H%M` But scripted in expect so it can be handed over to the logfile function. I have tried playing around with the timestamp... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krypton
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help with creating directories and variables

i'm trying to write a script that has 2 variables, and uses the 1st variable as a number and the 2nd a name to create directories. so if you typed in ./myscript 5 week, it would create 5 directories named week1 - week5. whenever i run this, i get an error message saying week5 already exists, so i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: layne2kim
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving and moving files into directories, creating directories, etc.

how can i move "dataName".sql.gz into a folder called 'database' and then move "$fileName".tar.gz * .htaccess into a folder called 'www' with the entire gzipped file being "$fileName".tar.gz? Is this doable or overly complex. so mydemo--2015-03-23-1500.tar.gz > database -... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wyclef
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem creating a tar ball in different directories

Hi all. I'm hitting a problem creating a tar archive in one directory from files located in a different directory. It fails when I replace the absolute paths with variables in the script but works if I just run tar on the cmdln. E.g. #!/bin/ksh BASE=$PWD STAGE=$BASE/stage LOG=$BASE/log... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: user052009
4 Replies
delete(n)							    [incr Tcl]								 delete(n)

NAME
delete - delete things in the interpreter SYNOPSIS
delete option ?arg arg ...? DESCRIPTION
The delete command is used to delete things in the interpreter. It is implemented as an ensemble, so extensions can add their own options and extend the behavior of this command. By default, the delete command handles the destruction of namespaces. The option argument determines what action is carried out by the command. The legal options (which may be abbreviated) are: delete class name ?name...? Deletes one or more [incr Tcl] classes called name. This deletes all objects in the class, and all derived classes as well. If an error is encountered while destructing an object, it will prevent the destruction of the class and any remaining objects. To destroy the entire class without regard for errors, use the "delete namespace" command. delete object name ?name...? Deletes one or more [incr Tcl] objects called name. An object is deleted by invoking all destructors in its class hierarchy, in order from most- to least-specific. If all destructors are successful, data associated with the object is deleted and the name is removed as a command from the interpreter. If the access command for an object resides in another namespace, then its qualified name can be used: delete object foo::bar::x If an error is encountered while destructing an object, the delete command is aborted and the object remains alive. To destroy an object without regard for errors, use the "rename" command to destroy the object access command. delete namespace name ?name...? Deletes one or more namespaces called name. This deletes all commands and variables in the namespace, and deletes all child names- paces as well. When a namespace is deleted, it is automatically removed from the import lists of all other namespaces. KEYWORDS
namespace, proc, variable, ensemble itcl 3.0 delete(n)