Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers What is the best way to remember UNIX / Linux Commands? Post 303013021 by drl on Tuesday 13th of February 2018 10:03:01 PM
Old 02-13-2018
Hi.

Generalizing the idea of learning:

1) Yes, one good way is experience, especially learning from mistakes.

2) Retrieval is another method, one of the best, noted in several books (that I am reading) on learning, for example:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learn Better: Mastering the Skills for Success in Life, Business, and School, or, How to Become an Expert in Just About Anything
Ulrich Boser

Some forms of practice make people more perfect than others, though, and people should be sure to practice retrieving their knowledge. In one well-known study, a group of subjects who practiced recalling a passage learned a lot more than people who simply reread the passage. More concretely, you'd learn a lot more if you ask yourself questions after reading this text than simply rereading it.
Flash or index cards, your own quizzes, etc. are some ways to implement this.

Good luck ... cheers, drl

Last edited by drl; 02-14-2018 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: Minor formatting change.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix commands in linux-red hat

hi, can i have a unix like environment where i can do things like chmod, shell scripts and etc.. in redhat instead of the GUI that redhat ofters? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK--does anyone remember it

I am trying to run awk on a 55 page Word document. I wanted to delete every occurrence of <company>, <script>, </scripts> from the file then cut & paste all of the appropriate fields to an Excel spreadsheet. Also the code is suppose to replace the dates in a new format such as "xxxx-xx-xx" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cnitadesigner
2 Replies

3. News, Links, Events and Announcements

All Linux and Unix commands Links

http://www.computerhope.com/unix.htm http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/linux/cmd/ (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: devotedsinner
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Name 10 commands every Linux and Unix admin should know

I'm working on further developing my Unix skills and I'm just curious what some of the experienced admins out there would consider to be 10 essential commands every admin should know. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arkitech
12 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Most deadly commands on Unix/Linux !!

lets list the most deadly commands on Unix/Linux and what they do.... > sudo rm -rf / (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rahulpict
27 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix and Linux Commands

Hi All I have found that few basic commands in unix have the same syntax in linux as well. I need those commands which differ on Linux platform, with some more advanced options.. For example... awk, sed, tr ... and some more commands with advanced options. I am trying to search on the linux... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vee_789
1 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Anyone remember this cute unix ad?

It showed a cleaning woman (probably in the evening, after most of the other employees had left work) happily typing commands on a dot matrix terminal (could've been a DEC LA120, IIRC) just because "unix is so easy to use, even a cleaning woman can use it!". If you know where to find a scanned... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mathiasbage
2 Replies
spell(1)						      General Commands Manual							  spell(1)

NAME
spell, spellin, spellout - Finds spelling errors SYNOPSIS
spell [-b] [-i | -l] [-v | -x] [-d hash_list] [-s hash_stop] [-h history_list] [+word_list] [file...] spellin [list] [number] spellout [-d] list The spell command reads words in file and compares them to those in a spelling list. Default files contain English words only, but you can supply your own list of words in other languages. STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: spell: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
[Tru64 UNIX] The following options are for the spell command only. Checks for correct British spelling. Besides preferring centre, colour, programme, speciality, travelled, and so on, this option causes spell to insist upon the use of the infix -ise in words like stan- dardise. [Tru64 UNIX] Specifies hash_list as the alternate spelling list. The default is /usr/lbin/spell/hlist[ab]. [Tru64 UNIX] Speci- fies history_list as the alternate history list that is used to accumulate all output. The default is /usr/lbin/spell/spellhist. [Tru64 UNIX] Suppresses processing of included files through the and troff macros. If the -i and -l options are both specified, the last one of the two options entered on the command line takes effect. [Tru64 UNIX] Follows the chain of all included files (.so and spell(1)