Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Wrong test interpretation for simple function. Post 303012981 by RudiC on Tuesday 13th of February 2018 08:38:29 AM
Old 02-13-2018
You need to deploy "command substitution" as well for shell functions:
Code:
if [[ $( ip_quantity_check) -gt 0 ]] ...

OR use the function's exit code (which can be modified in the return statement) like
Code:
if ip_quantity_check; then ...

This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is wrong with this simple script?

The script below is supposed to list file and folder names and list the type besides each - It has no practical value - I am just trying to learn KSH (so far sounds like a bad idea!) Expected output should look like this: folder 1 *** dir *** file1 * file * The code runs but produces... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: GMMike
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

What's wrong with this simple statement?

I know that this is a ridiculously simple statement, but I am getting an error when I execute it, and I can't figure out what it is. Can anyone point me in the right direction? #!/bin/ksh integer dateMonth=0 integer intZero=0 if then dateMonth = 1 fi echo $dateMonth (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mharley
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Whats wrong with my function?? <newbie>

First of all im using Bash, on a Debian-based machine. I tried to write a function that if the ls program found listed more than 25 lines I would automaticly use "ls | less". Its on another computer but if I recall it looked something like this... Note: some code may look strange because im on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: riwa
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wrong date function

Hi, I am getting some very strange output when using date function in PERL on Solaris. Infact the month portion is wrong and it is 1 less then the current, means today it is responding as month =3 , andthis should be 4 ------> April Any help my code is ($day, $month, $year) =... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asteroid
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What's wrong with this line: if ${TEST:?} ; then echo empty; fi

I want to print "empty" if $TEST is empty. TEST= if ${TEST:?} ; then echo empty; fi But it doesn't work. What's wrong? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meili100
2 Replies

6. Programming

what is wrong with the log function in c?

Hi I looked up the reference but couldn't figure out whats wrong with my log funtions in ANSI C, need this log functions for a memory compiler, please help!! #include <stdio.h> #include <math.h> int main(void) { double d ; double logB(double x, double base); printf(" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: return_user
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What's wrong with this simple program in APUE?

I start wetting my toes in Linux programming. I tried the first program myls.c in Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment. #include <sys/types.h> #include <dirent.h> #include "apue.h" int main(int argc, char *argv) { DIR *dp; struct... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cqlouis
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Whats wrong in the Function ?

Need your assistance, to find the bug in the function. Function usage erroring out even after passing parameters. usage() { if || ; then echo "************************************************************" echo " CHECK USAGE FOR CORRECT PARAMETERS ... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghunsi
26 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple issue, what is wrong?

I had this working a few days ago but I since changed it. Heres the code x=1 while 1 2 3 4 5 6 1=$(ps -ef | grep process | awk '{ print $2}') if then echo "The database is accepting connections..." echo "Now I will check the next process" 2=$(ps -ef | grep process1 |... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

I have no idea what is wrong with my simple script.

I am doing a simple "recycle bin" script. It is to check and see if the directory .TRASH exists within the home directory. If not then it makes the directory then appends a date and time to file and then finally moves the file in. However, when I run this script, it is not making the directory as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamdeman
5 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/ksh93, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/ksh93, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh, and /usr/sfw/bin/zsh. /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells could cause unexpected behavior, such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1). FILES
/etc/shells list of shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.11 20 Nov 2007 shells(4)