Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Wrong test interpretation for simple function. Post 303012979 by bryn1u on Tuesday 13th of February 2018 07:55:02 AM
Old 02-13-2018
Wrong test interpretation for simple function.

Hello everyone,
I have written simple script below to check if ip is added to interface
Code:
#!/usr/local/bin/bash

IFCONFIG="/sbin/ifconfig"
SERVICE="/usr/sbin/service"
IP="79.137.X.X"

GREP=$(${IFCONFIG} | grep ${IP})

ip_quantity_check () {

echo ${GREP} | wc -l

}

if [[ ip_quantity_check -gt 0 ]]; then
        echo "IP is linked"
else
        echo "Nie jest"
        exit 1
fi

When i use only ip_quantity_check function im getting "1" as should be and this is ok. But when i put function into the test "[[ ]]", im getting some wrong interpretation of it becouse i always get:
Code:
else
echo "Nie jest"

Where is a problem ?
Thank you,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is wrong with this simple script?

The script below is supposed to list file and folder names and list the type besides each - It has no practical value - I am just trying to learn KSH (so far sounds like a bad idea!) Expected output should look like this: folder 1 *** dir *** file1 * file * The code runs but produces... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: GMMike
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

What's wrong with this simple statement?

I know that this is a ridiculously simple statement, but I am getting an error when I execute it, and I can't figure out what it is. Can anyone point me in the right direction? #!/bin/ksh integer dateMonth=0 integer intZero=0 if then dateMonth = 1 fi echo $dateMonth (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mharley
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Whats wrong with my function?? <newbie>

First of all im using Bash, on a Debian-based machine. I tried to write a function that if the ls program found listed more than 25 lines I would automaticly use "ls | less". Its on another computer but if I recall it looked something like this... Note: some code may look strange because im on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: riwa
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wrong date function

Hi, I am getting some very strange output when using date function in PERL on Solaris. Infact the month portion is wrong and it is 1 less then the current, means today it is responding as month =3 , andthis should be 4 ------> April Any help my code is ($day, $month, $year) =... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asteroid
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What's wrong with this line: if ${TEST:?} ; then echo empty; fi

I want to print "empty" if $TEST is empty. TEST= if ${TEST:?} ; then echo empty; fi But it doesn't work. What's wrong? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meili100
2 Replies

6. Programming

what is wrong with the log function in c?

Hi I looked up the reference but couldn't figure out whats wrong with my log funtions in ANSI C, need this log functions for a memory compiler, please help!! #include <stdio.h> #include <math.h> int main(void) { double d ; double logB(double x, double base); printf(" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: return_user
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What's wrong with this simple program in APUE?

I start wetting my toes in Linux programming. I tried the first program myls.c in Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment. #include <sys/types.h> #include <dirent.h> #include "apue.h" int main(int argc, char *argv) { DIR *dp; struct... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cqlouis
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Whats wrong in the Function ?

Need your assistance, to find the bug in the function. Function usage erroring out even after passing parameters. usage() { if || ; then echo "************************************************************" echo " CHECK USAGE FOR CORRECT PARAMETERS ... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghunsi
26 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple issue, what is wrong?

I had this working a few days ago but I since changed it. Heres the code x=1 while 1 2 3 4 5 6 1=$(ps -ef | grep process | awk '{ print $2}') if then echo "The database is accepting connections..." echo "Now I will check the next process" 2=$(ps -ef | grep process1 |... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

I have no idea what is wrong with my simple script.

I am doing a simple "recycle bin" script. It is to check and see if the directory .TRASH exists within the home directory. If not then it makes the directory then appends a date and time to file and then finally moves the file in. However, when I run this script, it is not making the directory as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamdeman
5 Replies
SERVICE(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						SERVICE(8)

NAME
service -- control (start/stop/etc.) or list system services SYNOPSIS
service -e service -R service [-v] -l | -r service [-v] <rc.d script> start|stop|etc. DESCRIPTION
The service command is an easy interface to the rc.d system. Its primary purpose is to start and stop services provided by the rc.d scripts. When used for this purpose it will set the same restricted environment that is in use at boot time (see below). It can also be used to list the scripts using various criteria. The options are as follows: -e List services that are enabled. The list of scripts to check is compiled using rcorder(8) the same way that it is done in rc(8), then that list of scripts is checked for an "rcvar" assignment. If present the script is checked to see if it is enabled. -R Restart all enabled local services. -l List all files in /etc/rc.d and the local startup directories. As described in rc.conf(5) this is usually /usr/local/etc/rc.d. All files will be listed whether they are an actual rc.d script or not. -r Generate the rcorder(8) as in -e above, but list all of the files, not just what is enabled. -v Be slightly more verbose ENVIRONMENT
When used to run rc.d scripts the service command sets HOME to / and PATH to /sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin which is how they are set in /etc/rc at boot time. EXIT STATUS
The service utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The following are examples of typical usage of the service command: service named status service -rv The following programmable completion entry can be use in bash(1) for the names of the rc.d scripts: _service () { local cur cur=${COMP_WORDS[COMP_CWORD]} COMPREPLY=( $( compgen -W '$( service -l )' -- $cur ) ) return 0 } complete -F _service service SEE ALSO
bash(1) (ports/shells/bash), rc.conf(5), rc(8), rcorder(8) HISTORY
The service utility first appeared in FreeBSD 7.3. AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Douglas Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
December 11, 2012 BSD