Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers What is the best way to remember UNIX / Linux Commands? Post 303012905 by hicksd8 on Monday 12th of February 2018 09:59:25 AM
Old 02-12-2018
You will soon (with use) get to know all the simple commands that are used every day. A Unix book for beginners is a good start. What is more difficult are the many various 'switches' that can be used on command lines which vary between different Unix/Linux OS's, and for this purpose, unlike OS's like Windows, the user manual is always online by using the man command.

e.g.

Code:
man ls

Like all of us, you will never remember all the possible switches for a particular command but you can always refer to the user manual on-screen. Great isn't it!!

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix commands in linux-red hat

hi, can i have a unix like environment where i can do things like chmod, shell scripts and etc.. in redhat instead of the GUI that redhat ofters? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK--does anyone remember it

I am trying to run awk on a 55 page Word document. I wanted to delete every occurrence of <company>, <script>, </scripts> from the file then cut & paste all of the appropriate fields to an Excel spreadsheet. Also the code is suppose to replace the dates in a new format such as "xxxx-xx-xx" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cnitadesigner
2 Replies

3. News, Links, Events and Announcements

All Linux and Unix commands Links

http://www.computerhope.com/unix.htm http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/linux/cmd/ (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: devotedsinner
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Name 10 commands every Linux and Unix admin should know

I'm working on further developing my Unix skills and I'm just curious what some of the experienced admins out there would consider to be 10 essential commands every admin should know. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arkitech
12 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Most deadly commands on Unix/Linux !!

lets list the most deadly commands on Unix/Linux and what they do.... > sudo rm -rf / (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rahulpict
27 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix and Linux Commands

Hi All I have found that few basic commands in unix have the same syntax in linux as well. I need those commands which differ on Linux platform, with some more advanced options.. For example... awk, sed, tr ... and some more commands with advanced options. I am trying to search on the linux... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vee_789
1 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Anyone remember this cute unix ad?

It showed a cleaning woman (probably in the evening, after most of the other employees had left work) happily typing commands on a dot matrix terminal (could've been a DEC LA120, IIRC) just because "unix is so easy to use, even a cleaning woman can use it!". If you know where to find a scanned... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mathiasbage
2 Replies
xorp(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   xorp(1)

NAME
xorpsh -- XORP Command Shell SYNOPSIS
xorpsh [-c command] [-t directory] [-e] [-h] [-v] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the xorpsh command. This manual page was written for the Debian distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. xorpsh is the command used to interact with a eXtensible Open Router Platform (XORP) router. This command starts up a command line inter- face (CLI), that allows the configuration of the router and monitoring of the router state. The xorpsh command provides an interactive command shell to a XORP user, similar in many ways to the role played by a Unix shell. In a production router xorpsh might be set up as an user's login shell - they would login to the router via ssh and be directly in the xorpsh. It can also be run directly from the Unix command line. xorpsh should normally be run as a regular user; it is neither necessary or desirable to run it as root. If an user is to be permitted to make changes to the running router configuration, that user needs to be in the Unix group xorp. The Debian package installation automatically sets up both a xorp user and a xorp group to which this user belongs. However, any user can run the xorpsh command unless locally restricted by the administrator. OPTIONS
xorpsh allows the following options: -h Show summary of options. -v Print verbose information. -c command Specify command(s) to execute. -t directory Specify templates directory. -e Exit immediately if cannot connect to the rtrmgr SEE ALSO
xorp_rtrmgr (8) This program is documented fully in the Xorp User Manual, chapter Command Structure, available at /usr/share/doc/xorp-doc/ in Debian sys- tems when the xorp-doc package is installed. AUTHOR
XORP is Copyright (c) 2001-2009 XORP, Inc. This manual page was written by Javier Fernandez-Sanguino jfs@debian.org for the Debian system (but may be used by others). For licensing details please see /usr/share/doc/xorp/copyright. xorp(1)