Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: $(< file ) and $( cat file )
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting $(< file ) and $( cat file ) Post 303012362 by ctsgnb on Friday 2nd of February 2018 04:02:11 PM
Old 02-02-2018
Just for fun playing with subsequent args ... consider giving a try to:

Code:
# for i in $(seq 1 10) ; do echo $(< /dev/urandom tr -dc '[:alnum:],@#:!?+-' | head -c10) ; done
# for i in $(seq 1 10) ; do echo $(cat /dev/urandom -- tr -dc '[:alnum:],@#:!?+-' | head -c10) ; done
# for i in $(seq 1 10) ; do echo $(cat /dev/urandom | tr -dc '[:alnum:],@#:!?+-' | head -c10) ; done
# for i in $(seq 1 10) ; do echo $(< /dev/urandom | tr -dc '[:alnum:],@#:!?+-'  | head -c10) ; done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cat and lp or pr printing of file

Can you use cat to send the first 25 lines of a file to the printer? I'm thinking I can pipe it with '|' but I'm not school to check printer output. With the 'nl' used, all lines are numbered on the print out, but how does one number only the blank lines? Thanks:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bitwize
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat file problem

Hi, I wnat to read a fiel line by line and store each line in a variabel, so I made a for loop: for i in `cat file` ; do #do sth. done; The problem is, that in the file, there are lines with only asterisks like this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bensky
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Easiest way to cat out first 100 lines of a file into a different file?

Not sure how to do this exactly.. just want to take the first 100 lines of a file and cat it out into a second file. I know I can do a more on a file and > it into a different file, but how can I make it so only the first 100 lines get moved over? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to cat file

I want to cat a file with only show the line contain '/bin/bash' but don't show the line contain 'load' (don't show if the line contain 'load' and '/bin/bash' together), how to type in the command? thk a lot! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zp523444
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat all yesterdays file into one file?

I am looking for a command to take files with a specific date and cat them all into big file. I know I can use commands to list all of the files from a certain date. But I want to do that and take those files and make on large files containing all of them. Any help would be great. This is being... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jcheetwood
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

split a line of a file and cat a file with another

Hi, I have two files one.txt laptop boy apple two.txt unix linux OS openS I want to split one.txt into one line each and concatenate it with the two.txt output files onea.txt laptop (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: avatar_007
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat file

how to cat a file by ignoring first line and last line (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cat can not open file

Hi All, I have stumbled upon very unique issue. In my script I am doing cat file and then greping and cutting so as to assign the value to variable. My file is, <mxc_tl_load_extractdata_prop.bsh> DB_USER=test_oper hostname=xxx FTP_USER=test1_operate MAIL_LIST=xxx@yyy.com... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paragd
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

for i in `cat file` do

in bash: for i in `cat file` ; do echo $i done; how will i do this in perl ? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxgeek
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ssh cat file output into a file on local computer

Hello, I'm on a remote computer by SSH. How can I get the output of "cat file" into a file on the local computer? I cannot use scp, because it's blocked. something like: ssh root@remote_maschine "cat /file" > /locale_machine/file :rolleyes: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: borsti007
2 Replies
random(7D)							      Devices								random(7D)

NAME
random, urandom - Strong random number generator device SYNOPSIS
/dev/random /dev/urandom DESCRIPTION
The /dev/random and /dev/urandom files are special files that are a source for random bytes generated by the kernel random number generator device. The /dev/random and /dev/urandom files are suitable for applications requiring high quality random numbers for cryptographic pur- poses. The generator device produces random numbers from data and devices available to the kernel and estimates the amount of randomness (or "entropy") collected from these sources. The entropy level determines the amount of high quality random numbers that are produced at a given time. Applications retrieve random bytes by reading /dev/random or /dev/urandom. The /dev/random interface returns random bytes only when suffi- cient amount of entropy has been collected. If there is no entropy to produce the requested number of bytes, /dev/random blocks until more entropy can be obtained. Non-blocking I/O mode can be used to disable the blocking behavior. The /dev/random interface also supports poll(2). Note that using poll(2) will not increase the speed at which random numbers can be read. Bytes retrieved from /dev/random provide the highest quality random numbers produced by the generator, and can be used to generate long term keys and other high value keying material. The /dev/urandom interface returns bytes regardless of the amount of entropy available. It does not block on a read request due to lack of entropy. While bytes produced by the /dev/urandom interface are of lower quality than bytes produced by /dev/random, they are nonetheless suitable for less demanding and shorter term cryptographic uses such as short term session keys, paddings, and challenge strings. Data can be written to /dev/random and /dev/urandom. Data written to either special file is added to the generator's internal state. Data that is difficult to predict by other users may contribute randomness to the generator state and help improve the quality of future gener- ated random numbers. /dev/random collects entropy from providers that are registered with the kernel-level cryptographic framework and implement random number generation routines. The cryptoadm(1M) utility allows an administrator to configure which providers will be used with /dev/random. ERRORS
EAGAIN O_NDELAY or O_NONBLOCK was set and no random bytes are available for reading from /dev/random. EINTR A signal was caught while reading and no data was transferred. ENOXIO open(2) request failed on /dev/random because no entropy provider is available. FILES
/dev/random /dev/urandom ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability | SUNWcsr | |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cryptoadm(1M), open(2), poll(2), attributes(5) NOTES
/dev/random can be configured to use only the hardware-based providers registered with the kernel-level cryptographic framework by dis- abling the software-based provider using cryptoadm(1M). You can also use cryptoadm(1M) to obtain the name of the software-based provider. Because no entropy is available, disabling all randomness providers causes read(2) and poll(2) on /dev/random to block indefinitely and results in a warning message being logged and displayed on the system console. However, read(2) and poll(2) on /dev/urandom continue to work in this case. An implementation of the /dev/random and /dev/urandom kernel-based random number generator first appeared in Linux 1.3.30. A /dev/random interface for Solaris first appeared as part of the CryptoRand implementation. SunOS 5.11 1 Sep 2008 random(7D)