Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: $(< file ) and $( cat file )
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting $(< file ) and $( cat file ) Post 303012354 by ctsgnb on Friday 2nd of February 2018 01:25:43 PM
Old 02-02-2018
$(< file ) and $( cat file )

What is the difference between $(< filename ) and $( cat filename ) ? Smilie
Or should i ask ... are they equivalent ?

Last edited by ctsgnb; 02-02-2018 at 02:46 PM..
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to ctsgnb For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cat and lp or pr printing of file

Can you use cat to send the first 25 lines of a file to the printer? I'm thinking I can pipe it with '|' but I'm not school to check printer output. With the 'nl' used, all lines are numbered on the print out, but how does one number only the blank lines? Thanks:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bitwize
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat file problem

Hi, I wnat to read a fiel line by line and store each line in a variabel, so I made a for loop: for i in `cat file` ; do #do sth. done; The problem is, that in the file, there are lines with only asterisks like this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bensky
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Easiest way to cat out first 100 lines of a file into a different file?

Not sure how to do this exactly.. just want to take the first 100 lines of a file and cat it out into a second file. I know I can do a more on a file and > it into a different file, but how can I make it so only the first 100 lines get moved over? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to cat file

I want to cat a file with only show the line contain '/bin/bash' but don't show the line contain 'load' (don't show if the line contain 'load' and '/bin/bash' together), how to type in the command? thk a lot! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zp523444
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat all yesterdays file into one file?

I am looking for a command to take files with a specific date and cat them all into big file. I know I can use commands to list all of the files from a certain date. But I want to do that and take those files and make on large files containing all of them. Any help would be great. This is being... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jcheetwood
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

split a line of a file and cat a file with another

Hi, I have two files one.txt laptop boy apple two.txt unix linux OS openS I want to split one.txt into one line each and concatenate it with the two.txt output files onea.txt laptop (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: avatar_007
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat file

how to cat a file by ignoring first line and last line (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cat can not open file

Hi All, I have stumbled upon very unique issue. In my script I am doing cat file and then greping and cutting so as to assign the value to variable. My file is, <mxc_tl_load_extractdata_prop.bsh> DB_USER=test_oper hostname=xxx FTP_USER=test1_operate MAIL_LIST=xxx@yyy.com... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paragd
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

for i in `cat file` do

in bash: for i in `cat file` ; do echo $i done; how will i do this in perl ? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxgeek
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ssh cat file output into a file on local computer

Hello, I'm on a remote computer by SSH. How can I get the output of "cat file" into a file on the local computer? I cannot use scp, because it's blocked. something like: ssh root@remote_maschine "cat /file" > /locale_machine/file :rolleyes: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: borsti007
2 Replies
readfile(1F)							   FMLI Commands						      readfile(1F)

NAME
readfile, longline - reads file, gets longest line SYNOPSIS
readfile filename longline [filename] DESCRIPTION
The readfile function reads filename and copies it to stdout. No translation of NEWLINE is done. It keeps track of the longest line it reads and if there is a subsequent call to longline, the length of that line, including the NEWLINE character, is returned. The longline function returns the length, including the NEWLINE character, of the longest line in filename. If filename is not specified, it uses the file named in the last call to readfile. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Typical use of readfile and longline Here is a typical use of readfile and longline in a text frame definition file: . . . text="`readfile myfile`" columns=`longline` . . . ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cat(1), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
If filename does not exist, readfile will return FALSE (that is, the expression will have an error return). longline returns 0 if a readfile has not previously been issued. NOTES
More than one descriptor can call readfile in the same frame definition file. In text frames, if one of those calls is made from the text descriptor, then a subsequent use of longline will always get the longest line of the file read by the readfile associated with the text descriptor, even if it was not the most recent use of readfile. SunOS 5.11 5 Jul 1990 readfile(1F)