Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to do user-preset login to Bash shell then automate path modification? Post 303012313 by rbatte1 on Friday 2nd of February 2018 04:01:01 AM
Old 02-02-2018
I'm not quite sure what you are trying to achieve. I think you are wanting to customise the environment by settings the PATH, variables, current directory etc. You would be better writing a script with the settings in and the you can source it.

Something like:-
my_env_1
Code:
PATH=/my_path1:$PATH
cd /my_dir1
BASE_VAR="DEV1"

my_env_2
Code:
PATH=/my_path2:$PATH
cd /my_dir2
BASE_VAR="DEV2"

etc.

You can then (from the shell prompt or within a sh/ksh/bash script) do source my_eny_1 or shorthand, you could . my_env_2 and it will set the various variables/values/directory etc. in the current shell. You could even (in .bashrc perhaps) create an alias to call this in for you, e.g. alias DEV1='source my_env_1 would allow you to just type DEV1 on the command line to set it up.

You need to be careful because switching back & forth between these two would grow the PATH variable each time, possibly leading to confusion.

Does that help, or have I missed the request entirely?

Robin

Last edited by rbatte1; 02-02-2018 at 05:06 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mistyped shell path, now i can't login as the only user that can su to root

i mistyped the location of bash and now i can't login as the only other user who belongs to wheel on my freebsd box. since i'm having many problems with samba, this has frozen my attempts to get things resolved with the former issue. i've been told that 'su -m' should do the trick, but it's... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
3 Replies

2. Solaris

How to get bash to be the login shell?

Is there a way to edit a .profile file that would let a user have bash as their login shell? We tried adding: exec /bin/bash --login to the .profile, but this produced an endless loop and we could not login using that account. Thanks! Aaron (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: amheck
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error in setting PATH variable in bash shell

Hi, I am new to shell scripting.I tried adding an entry to the path variable like below export PATH=$PATH:/opt/xxx/bin But am getting an error invalid identifier /opt/xxx/bin Can someone tell me the error above and correct me . Thanks and Regards, Padmini (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: padmisri
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

setting a path in bash shell

Hello all, Sorry if the question if stupid but I have no big experience with programming. I am trying to set a path to be used in a makefile.in, for installation of a Fortran code. The makefile.in contains the string $(CODE_NAME) Now, when I type in the bash shell export... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: laura74
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automate CVS login using shell script

Hi, Can anyone pls help me to automate login to cvs. I basically want to login to cvs and update a file. the script always gets to the login and returns the prompt for a password. Is there any way to send the password in the script itself. Here is the script: #!/bin/ksh... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu_shekar
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Login as another user through Shell script from current user[Not Root]

Hi Every body, I would need a shell script program to login as different user and perform some copy commands in the script. example: Supppose ora_toms is the active user ora_toms should be able to run a script where user: ftptomsp pass: XXX should login through and run the commands ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ujjwal27
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to automate user selection options in shell script?

Hi There, I am trying to write a script which has to pick the prompted options by itself(i mean option to choose will be passed) here is real scenario i am trying to do. i have an executable(diagnos) which gets called in shell script, when the executable (diagnos) runs i get following as... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sairam_9191
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ask for a path from the user in XML and shell?

I am working on a small plugin for Galaxy, which is written in shell script.The XML wrapper shows multiple options of paths where the user would like to store the file. I now want to add an option where the user can specify the path. Also,he can specify the name of the output file.As I am new to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: menorca
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which of the following command displays your login shell in bash shell?

Options:: A)$shell B)echo $ bash C)echo $ O D)$ O (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghugowda
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automate OTPW login to ssh via bash script

Hello everyone. I'm a Linux novice trying out a lot of bash scripting lately, as it is so very addictive. Lately I have been setting up one of my boxes remotely and have been hardening it as much as possible. Please allow me to explain the scenario, as it does tend to become a little... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: instro
1 Replies
CHSH(1) 							   User Commands							   CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHSH(1)