Sponsored Content
The Lounge War Stories Linus Torvalds reply about Meltdown and Spectre. Post 303012272 by dodona on Thursday 1st of February 2018 03:41:01 PM
Old 02-01-2018
I read that with the 4.15 Kernel with build-in patches for the hypothetical problem comes with 15-30% performance loss. Immediately I thought 'wow, Intel, AMD and the hardware pushers will earn a lot of $'. I mean todays cpu is so fast that there isn't a need for a upgrade. However the hypothetical problem with the 15-30% performance loss is the need for an upgradeSmilie. Again everything comes down to $, and nothing else than $.Smilie

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

What the best HD format for Unix & Linus

Hello people, Im just about to install linux and unix but would like to know what the best Partition type format is for both of them. Can anyone tell me Thankyou in advanced (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jeffersno1
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

hard disk meltdown

I had an issue with a second hard disk in my machine. I have a sparc station running solaris 7. It was working fine but now it wont mount on boot up and when you try to mount it manually it gives an I/O error. I tried a different disk as a control which was fine. What I want to know is if my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Henrik
3 Replies

3. News, Links, Events and Announcements

A Couple of Short Linus Torvalds Videos

This link is to a page that has two short videos that feature Linus Torvalds discussing the Linux kernel. After you watch the first video, scroll down some more to reach the second video. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
0 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Meltdown and Spectre CPU bugs

This seems a bit serious: Meltdown, Spectre: The password theft bugs at the heart of Intel CPUs • The Register Vulnerability Note VU#584653 - CPU hardware vulnerable to side-channel attacks Project Zero: Reading privileged memory with a side-channel (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scrutinizer
8 Replies

5. AIX

AIX 6.1, POWER5 and Spectre/Meltdown

Apologies for this newbie question. We have inherited an IBM p5 520 (9111-520) running AIX 6.1.0.0 which seems to be the base install and no further patches installed. Is this vulnerable to the Spectre/Meltdown threat? Are patches available? Looks like AIX 6.1.0.0 went 'end of support' in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_garbage
8 Replies
PMC_ENABLE(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					     PMC_ENABLE(3)

NAME
pmc_disable, pmc_enable -- administrative control of hardware performance counters LIBRARY
Performance Counters Library (libpmc, -lpmc) SYNOPSIS
#include <pmc.h> int pmc_disable(int cpu, int pmc); int pmc_enable(int cpu, int pmc); DESCRIPTION
These functions allow specific hardware performance monitoring counters in a system to be disabled and enabled administratively. The hard- ware performance counters available on each CPU are numbered using small non-negative integers, in a system dependent manner. Disabled coun- ters will not be available to applications for use. The invoking process needs to have the PRIV_PMC_MANAGE privilege to perform these operations. Function pmc_disable() disables the hardware counter numbered by argument pmc on CPU number cpu. Function pmc_enable() enables the hardware counter numbered by argument pmc on CPU number cpu. IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
Hardware PMCs that are currently in use by applications cannot be disabled. Allocation of a process scope software PMC marks all hardware PMCs in the system with the same pmc number as being in-use. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, the value 0 is returned; otherwise the value -1 is returned and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
A call to these functions may fail with the following errors: [EBUSY] Function pmc_disable() specified a hardware PMC is currently in use. [EINVAL] Arguments cpu or pmc were invalid. [ENXIO] Argument cpu specified a disabled or absent CPU. [EPERM] The current process lacks sufficient privilege to perform this operation. SEE ALSO
pmc(3), pmc_cpuinfo(3), pmc_pmcinfo(3), hwpmc(4), pmccontrol(8), priv_check(9) BSD
September 22, 2008 BSD