Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Partition Sizes
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Partition Sizes Post 303012263 by RudiC on Thursday 1st of February 2018 12:45:18 PM
Old 02-01-2018
Seconding what the two colleagues said, parted allows for byte size display:
man parted:
Quote:
unit unit
Set unit as the unit to use when displaying locations and sizes, and for interpreting those given by the user when not suffixed with an explicit unit.
unit can be one of "s" (sectors), "B" (bytes), "kB", "MB", "MiB", "GB", "GiB", "TB", "TiB", "%" (percentage of device size), "cyl" (cylinders), "chs" (cylinders, heads, sectors), or "compact" (megabytes for input, and a human-friendly form for output).
Not sure if your system provides that tool; you didn't mention it. Don't let yourself be tricked into thinking that byte info were more meaningful than the "sector" or other info as 512 (or 4096 on newer systems / disks) byte blocks are the smallest allocation units.
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

understanding logical partition, physical partition

hi, 1) is logical partition the same as physical partition except that one is physical and the other is logical? 2) then it must a one to one ratio? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Directory sizes

Can someone tell me how to read these damn sizes. i mean, i prefer to see sizes in MB but that is not the case when you do an ls -l on directories. i have a had time converting these to MB just for verification purposes, what would a directory size like this = 3499990308 represent in MB or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I've created a partition with GNU Parted, how do I mount the partition?

I've created a partition with GNU Parted, how do I mount the partition? The manual information at http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/parted.html is good, but I am sure about how I mount the partition afterwards. Thanks, --Todd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jtp51
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Directories sizes

Hello everyone, can anybody help me in finding a way to obtain a list of all the directories and their sizes. I would like to be able to run this and obtain an output like a tree structure with each branch saying how much space it is taking up . Hope you can point me in the right direction.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gio001
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync from partition to partition fastest

Gentleman, Please move if I have chose the incorrect forum section. I am trying to move data that is not backed up from partition 1 to partition 2 on a SAN that has a GFS2 filesystem. Since the data is not backed up I am rsyncing this data and once verified I will delete from the source... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaysunn
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

df vs du for directory sizes

Is it better to use df or du to calculate directory sizes? I tried both and got different numbers with both. $ du -h /home 1.7G /home/bob1 1.7G /home $ df -h /home Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/mapper/VG-lv_home 25G 1.9G 22G ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
2 Replies

7. Slackware

Ideal partition sizes of 17 gb space.

I am planning to install slack 13.37 on an old stand-alone PIII (512 mb ram) with 17 gb disk space. I need to keep lotsa pdf, chm type e-books for programming with few other misc. documents. I'm going to use this system for my personal use. It has no network but I browse internet with cable... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectrum
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Partition overlaps another partition while creating new parition in solaris

hi all while formatting hard disk i am getting following error. Partition 1 ends at 266338338 It must be between 34 and 143374704. label error: EFI Labels do not support overlapping partitions Partition 8 overlaps partition 1. Warning: error writing EFI. Label failed. I have formatted the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
2 Replies

9. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Ask concept soft partition vs hard partition

Hi Experts I would like to know different between soft partition concept and hard partition concept on solaris. Here is little explanation between soft partition concept and hard partition concept on solaris. Soft Partition: 1TB total space available in storage in all mapped to the OS to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: edydsuranta
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Shrink LVM partition & create new Linux Primary partition

Hello All, I have a Red Hat Linux 5.9 Server installed with one hard disk & 2 Partitions created on it as follows, /boot - Linux Partition & another is LVM - One VG & under that 5-6 Logical volumes(var,opt,home etc). Here my requirement is to take out 1GB of space from LVM ( Any logical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
5 Replies
DISKPART(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       DISKPART(8)

NAME
diskpart - calculate default disk partition sizes SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/diskpart [ -p ] [ -d ] disk-type DESCRIPTION
Diskpart is used to calculate the disk partition sizes based on the default rules used at Berkeley. If the -p option is supplied, tables suitable for inclusion in a device driver are produced. If the -d option is supplied, an entry suitable for inclusion in the disk descrip- tion file /etc/disktab is generated; c.f. disktab(5). On disks that use bad144-style bad-sector forwarding, space is left in the last partition on the disk for a bad sector forwarding table. The space reserved is one track for the replicated copies of the table and suffi- cient tracks to hold a pool of 126 sectors to which bad sectors are mapped. For more information, see bad144(8). The disk partition sizes are based on the total amount of space on the disk as given in the table below (all values are supplied in units of 512 byte sectors). The `c' partition is, by convention, used to access the entire physical disk. The device driver tables include the space reserved for the bad sector forwarding table in the `c' partition; those used in the disktab and default formats exclude reserved tracks. In normal operation, either the `g' partition is used, or the `d', `e', and `f' partitions are used. The `g' and `f' partitions are variable-sized, occupying whatever space remains after allocation of the fixed sized partitions. If the disk is smaller than 20 Megabytes, then diskpart aborts with the message ``disk too small, calculate by hand''. Partition 20-60 MB 61-205 MB 206-355 MB 356+ MB a 15884 15884 15884 15884 b 10032 33440 33440 66880 d 15884 15884 15884 15884 e unused 55936 55936 307200 h unused unused 291346 291346 If an unknown disk type is specified, diskpart will prompt for the required disk geometry information. SEE ALSO
disktab(5), bad144(8) BUGS
Certain default partition sizes are based on historical artifacts (e.g. RP06), and may result in unsatisfactory layouts. When using the -d flag, alternate disk names are not included in the output. 4th Berkeley Distribution November 17, 1996 DISKPART(8)