Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Are the BSDs dying?
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Are the BSDs dying? Post 303012247 by dodona on Thursday 1st of February 2018 05:14:38 AM
Old 02-01-2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
Has it ever been wildly popular? It's been influential but that's not the same thing.
see the BSD of the late 70ths/80ths has a lot more to do with *NIX as we know it today than AT&T who adopted a lot from BSD for System III and V. TCP,Internet, virtual memory, video terminal, vi/ex, reliable signals, job control and even printer queues, just to name a few, are all genuine BSD inventions.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Ubuntu

Internet dying in Debian?

For some reason after a while my internet connection dies. I just moved on to Debian from Ubuntu and I can't find the dhclient-program to reconfigure dhcp. Pretty new to *nix's. ONe thing I noticed while rebooting (do get my connection back) is that it configures dhcp and says: reconfigure (or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: riwa
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

network connection dying after an uptime of a day or two days

hie guys I am running fedora 6 on remote machines which are connecting to my server. The remote machines connect through one machine (more like my router) to the server. The problem i am having is that the remote machines are suppose to be reporting in real time mode to the server. Most of these... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: no3more
2 Replies

3. Boot Loaders

EFI on BSDs problem

Hi, at time I have some problems installing a BSD system on my GPT disk... Thing is, I don't understand why support for the EFI seems to be so hard. Neither FreeBSD nor NetBSD nor OpenBSD seem to be able to install on GPT disks. They all misconceive the hard disk would use an MBR and the DOS... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Blackbird
6 Replies

4. Programming

Java application dying randomly

Hi, (First post, please be gental!) I have a java app that I am running on unix (centos) But it keeps dying randomly. The times seem random from anything between 3 hours and 3 days. I have a cronjob running to restart it when ever it dies but I would rather this happened less often. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sm9ai
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect script cronjob running but dying prematurely

I have an Ubuntu machine that I'd like to update automatically. I've written an expect script to run the aptitude package manager and update my packages. Essentially it does: aptitude update && aptitude upgrade while answering "yes" at the appropriate time. It works quite nicely when run... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CluelessPerson
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Utilities not dying after script run

Hi folks, Friendly router geek wanting to be a programmer here... So I worked with another guy here and came up with this to capture Unix admin data: #!/bin/ksh # # # Set Default Paths # PATH=/usr/apps/client/bin:$PATH; export PATH... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marc G
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

Snmpd dying on centos7.1

Hello All, SNMPD dying after 2 mins once it started. Here is the configuration Oct 12 04:43:00 localhost systemd: Starting Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) Daemon.... Oct 12 04:43:00 localhost snmpd: dlopen failed: /usr/lib64/libcmaX64.so: cannot open shared object file: No such... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shekar777
1 Replies
EXIT(2) 						      BSD System Calls Manual							   EXIT(2)

NAME
_exit -- terminate the calling process SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> void _exit(int status); DESCRIPTION
The _exit() function terminates a process, with the following consequences: o All of the descriptors that were open in the calling process are closed. This may entail delays; for example, waiting for output to drain. A process in this state may not be killed, as it is already dying. o If the parent process of the calling process has an outstanding wait call or catches the SIGCHLD signal, it is notified of the calling process's termination; the status is set as defined by wait(2). o The parent process-ID of all of the calling process's existing child processes are set to 1; the initialization process (see the DEFINI- TIONS section of intro(2)) inherits each of these processes. o If the termination of the process causes any process group to become orphaned (usually because the parents of all members of the group have now exited; see ``orphaned process group'' in intro(2)), and if any member of the orphaned group is stopped, the SIGHUP signal and the SIGCONT signal are sent to all members of the newly-orphaned process group. o If the process is a controlling process (see intro(2)), the SIGHUP signal is sent to the foreground process group of the controlling ter- minal. All current access to the controlling terminal is revoked. Most C programs call the library routine exit(3), which flushes buffers, closes streams, unlinks temporary files, etc., before calling _exit(). RETURN VALUE
_exit() can never return. SEE ALSO
fork(2), sigaction(2), wait(2), exit(3) STANDARDS
The _exit function is defined by IEEE Std 1003.1-1988 (``POSIX.1''). 4th Berkeley Distribution June 4, 1993 4th Berkeley Distribution