Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Merging two files to form header Post 303012167 by disedorgue on Tuesday 30th of January 2018 06:01:27 PM
Old 01-30-2018
Ok, but I don't sure that many awk versions fill line variable when getline is unsuccessful...
For ($0) , in worst case, it will setting with string " ," and I think it's always true.

But, I recognize that your first solution is very better Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Changing Unix form to Microsoft Word form to be able to email it to someone.

Please someone I need information on how to change a Unix form/document into a microsoft word document in order to be emailed to another company. Please help ASAP. Thankyou :confused: (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cheraunm
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merging two files

Hi I have a requirement like this. I have two files This is how data1.txt looks: EI3171280 38640658501 NENN2005-12-129999-12-312005-12-12HALL NANCY 344 CHENEY HIGHWAY ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: venommaker
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to mv files form one folder to another by date

Hi All Looking for some help here I want to query a file and mv all files that are older than seven days to an archive folder. the archive folder already exists but I am having trouble with the date comparison. list file is as follows eg dd2302071334.txt dd2302071358.txt... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SummitElse
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

merging two files

Friends, os: redhat enterprise linux/SCO UNIX5.0 I have two files and I would like to merge on given key value. Now I have tried with join commd but it does not supporte multiple delimiters. and if records length is not fixed. join -a1 5 -a2 1 -t -o file1 file2 > outname Can any... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vakharia Mahesh
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

mget * (obtein files from current directory but not the files form sub-directories)

Hello, Using the instruction mget (within ftp) and with "Interactive mode off", I want to get all files from directory (DirAA), but not the files in sub-directories. The files names don't follow any defined rule, so they can be just letters without (.) period Directory structure example: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peter321
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merging two files

Hi, I have two files a.txt and b.txt. a.txt 1 2 3 4 b.txt a b c d e I want to generate a file c.txt by merging these two file and the resultant file would contain c.txt 1 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merge all csv files in one folder considering only 1 header row and ignoring header of all others

Friends, I need help with the following in UNIX. Merge all csv files in one folder considering only 1 header row and ignoring header of all other files. FYI - All files are in same format and contains same headers. Thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shiny_Roy
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging two files

Hi All , I have a scenario where we need to combine two files . Below are the sample files and expected output , File 1: 1|ab 1|ac 1|ae 2|ad 2|ac File 2: 1|xy 1|fc 2|gh 2|ku Output file : 1|ab|xy (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saj
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dynamically merging 2 files on header values

Hi All, I have 2 files which i need to merge together based on the column names provided in the file. The first line in both files are header records. The first file has fixed columns but second file can have subset of the columns from file 1 File 1: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kushagra
6 Replies
GETLINE(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							GETLINE(3)

NAME
getline, getdelim - delimited string input SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> ssize_t getline(char **lineptr, size_t *n, FILE *stream); ssize_t getdelim(char **lineptr, size_t *n, int delim, FILE *stream); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): getline(), getdelim(): Since glibc 2.10: _POSIX_C_SOURCE >= 200809L || _XOPEN_SOURCE >= 700 Before glibc 2.10: _GNU_SOURCE DESCRIPTION
getline() reads an entire line from stream, storing the address of the buffer containing the text into *lineptr. The buffer is null-termi- nated and includes the newline character, if one was found. If *lineptr is NULL, then getline() will allocate a buffer for storing the line, which should be freed by the user program. (In this case, the value in *n is ignored.) Alternatively, before calling getline(), *lineptr can contain a pointer to a malloc(3)-allocated buffer *n bytes in size. If the buffer is not large enough to hold the line, getline() resizes it with realloc(3), updating *lineptr and *n as necessary. In either case, on a successful call, *lineptr and *n will be updated to reflect the buffer address and allocated size respectively. getdelim() works like getline(), except that a line delimiter other than newline can be specified as the delimiter argument. As with get- line(), a delimiter character is not added if one was not present in the input before end of file was reached. RETURN VALUE
On success, getline() and getdelim() return the number of characters read, including the delimiter character, but not including the termi- nating null byte. This value can be used to handle embedded null bytes in the line read. Both functions return -1 on failure to read a line (including end-of-file condition). ERRORS
EINVAL Bad arguments (n or lineptr is NULL, or stream is not valid). VERSIONS
These functions are available since libc 4.6.27. CONFORMING TO
Both getline() and getdelim() were originally GNU extensions. They were standardized in POSIX.1-2008. EXAMPLE
#define _GNU_SOURCE #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> int main(void) { FILE *fp; char *line = NULL; size_t len = 0; ssize_t read; fp = fopen("/etc/motd", "r"); if (fp == NULL) exit(EXIT_FAILURE); while ((read = getline(&line, &len, fp)) != -1) { printf("Retrieved line of length %zu : ", read); printf("%s", line); } free(line); exit(EXIT_SUCCESS); } SEE ALSO
read(2), fgets(3), fopen(3), fread(3), gets(3), scanf(3), feature_test_macros(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2010-06-12 GETLINE(3)