Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Round values only when it's numerics Post 303012144 by nengcheng on Tuesday 30th of January 2018 12:42:35 PM
Old 01-30-2018
Thank you all, Yoda and RavinderSingh13' s code works for me.

---------- Post updated at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:32 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda
Try using character class [:alnum:] - Alphanumeric characters:-
Code:
awk '!/[:alnum:]/{$1=sprintf("%.3f",$1)}1' file

Thank you, Yoda, this works great. Besides, what does the character 's' mean in this code?
This User Gave Thanks to nengcheng For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion to display leading zeros for numerics

I have the following script (which works fine), escept I don't know how to make the MONTH and DAY show up with leading zeros. I have a statement (not in this script) which will show this in a YYYYMMDD format, but the script makes the MONTH and DAY fields show single digits. For today, as an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsimpg1
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to round a value

Hello, In a unix shell script,i want to round a variabele to a nearest number Ex: set count=104.4 How can i round that to 105.? Thanks, Sateesh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kotasateesh
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

round in KSH

Is there an easy way to round a number up in Korn shell? ie. 10.4 --> 11 Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: here2learn
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

round a number

In a shell script - How do I round a decimal number (contained in a variable) to the nearest whole number? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: achieve
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Drop records with non-numerics in field X

I have tab delimited file and need to remove all records prior to sort, that have non-numerics in the Field 2. valid/invalid field 2 data examples are: " 123" valid "1 23" invalid " NOPE" invalid I've tried this awk it does not recognize tab as the delimiter or check... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: akxeman
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

round decimal values and use in loops

i have a file in which 3 values are stored like --4.72 4.42 3.86 what i wanna do is that take read each value and compare with a fixed value say 5 but cant do so as i am getting an error for the same. please check the code cat /home/nsadm/auto/Logging/uptime.txt| while read a b c do if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gemnian.g
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Round up the decimals

Hi All, I would like to do the following in the shell script 561.76 to 562 I tried using this echo 'scale=0; 749 * 75 /100 ' | bc but just returned only 561 Please help me . I appreciate your help Thanks rajeevm (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeevm
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract 4th field if numerics?

I have a file which contains fields comma separated & with each field surrounded by quotes. The 4th field contains either a serial number, the text ABC, the text XYZ or it's blank. I want to only extract records which have a serial number. Here's some sample data: > cat myfile... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CHoggarth
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping non-alpa-numerics from first column only

I have data in the following tab-separated format (consists of 200 columns all together, this is just a sampling) </s> 0.001701 0.002025 0.002264 0.001430 -0.001300 . -0.205240 0.177341 -0.426209 -0.661049 -0.048884 0.027032 the -0.159145 0.084377 0.056968 0.050934 0.160689 of -0.230698... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
7 Replies
ISWALNUM(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						       ISWALNUM(3)

NAME
iswalnum - test for alphanumeric wide character SYNOPSIS
#include <wctype.h> int iswalnum(wint_t wc); DESCRIPTION
The iswalnum() function is the wide-character equivalent of the isalnum(3) function. It tests whether wc is a wide character belonging to the wide-character class "alnum". The wide-character class "alnum" is a subclass of the wide-character class "graph", and therefore also a subclass of the wide-character class "print". Being a subclass of the wide-character class "print", the wide-character class "alnum" is disjoint from the wide-character class "cntrl". Being a subclass of the wide-character class "graph", the wide-character class "alnum" is disjoint from the wide-character class "space" and its subclass "blank". The wide-character class "alnum" is disjoint from the wide-character class "punct". The wide-character class "alnum" is the union of the wide-character classes "alpha" and "digit". As such, it also contains the wide-char- acter class "xdigit". The wide-character class "alnum" always contains at least the letters 'A' to 'Z', 'a' to 'z' and the digits '0' to '9'. RETURN VALUE
The iswalnum() function returns nonzero if wc is a wide character belonging to the wide-character class "alnum". Otherwise, it returns zero. ATTRIBUTES
For an explanation of the terms used in this section, see attributes(7). +-----------+---------------+----------------+ |Interface | Attribute | Value | +-----------+---------------+----------------+ |iswalnum() | Thread safety | MT-Safe locale | +-----------+---------------+----------------+ CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001, POSIX.1-2008, C99. NOTES
The behavior of iswalnum() depends on the LC_CTYPE category of the current locale. SEE ALSO
isalnum(3), iswctype(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2015-08-08 ISWALNUM(3)