Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris User with read-only to entire filesystem Post 303011943 by hicksd8 on Friday 26th of January 2018 06:51:33 AM
Old 01-26-2018
Hmmmm........this is not easy to do but not too difficult either. Let me elaborate.

There's no standard way of achieving this with access rights, group rights, or different user setup.

What version of Solaris are we talking?

However, you can create a special read-only shell, a new mountpoint lower in the filesystem, and remount '/' on that mountpoint. A specially created userid can then login and be given a read-only shell and access to '/' remounted as read-only.

Look at this:
LNXHC: HowTo Create a read-only user (Solaris 10) - BigAdmin - wikis.sun.com

It depends whether you want to go to this amount of modification to achieve it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/ filesystem is mounted read only

how do you fsck the / filesystem? I know it does it automatically the next time I boot up following a switch on the wall shutdown but is there a flad somewhere that forces this on next boot up? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DGK
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Read the entire output fired by ps command

Actually I want to display the entire output fired by ps command. My output gets trucated after 80 chars. Thus, i am not able to see the entire command running when i give a ps -eaf .... Does anyone know how do i display the entire output fired by ps command .. (i.e the command along with... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinithepoo
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Read the entire file using while loop

Guys, I am trying to read the whole file using while loop but when i run the ssh part of the script it reads only the first line and exit after that. There are in total 134 lines in the file, but when the output is redirected, it does only for one line and comes to command prompt. pls help..... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdosanjh
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accessing entire line during "while read"

I am using the time-honored construct "while read field1 field2 field3 ; do" to pull delimited fields from lines of data in a file, but there are a few places within the loop where I need to manipulate the entire, unsplit line of data. Does "while read" keep each entire record/line somewhere prior... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fitzwilliam
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read entire output from a file?

Hello- I am trying to view a file which is quite large. However, whenever I do 'cat (file name)' it shows me just the half.. I am using Putty to access my server. Also, is it possible to edit a file from a unix system on a 'Gedit for Windows" text editor? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
7 Replies

6. AIX

Mount Filesystem in AIX Unable to read /etc/filesystem

Dear all, We are facing prolem when we are going to mount AIX filesystem, the system returned the following error 0506-307The AFopen call failed : A file or directory in the path name does not exist. But when we ls filesystems in the /etc/ directory it show -rw-r--r-- 0 root ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: m_raheelahmed
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Bash piped while-read and a read user input at the same time

Hi I am new to writing script and want to use a Bash Piped while-read and read from user input. if something happens on server.log then do while loop or if something happend on user input then do while loop. Pseudocode something like: tail -n 3 -f server.log | while read serverline || read... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: MyMorris
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change the entire filesystem

Hi everyone, I've installed RedHat 5 enterprise into a VirtualBox, but some how i can't eve create a single file, cause appear u message like this: Read-only filesystem. i'm logged as root. Any idea (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Newer
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script read specific value from files of an entire folder

Hello, I heva a problem creating a script that read specifc value from all the files of an entire folder I have a number of email files into a directory and i need to extrect from each file 2 specific values. After that i have to put them into a new file that looks like that: To: value1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahmenty
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris 10 - Filesystem become read only suddenly

Hi, i just started few days ago to face the problem when the whole system is getting freeze. By freeze i mean: * server is reachable (via network) * i cannot connect to server via SSH or Telnet(when try to use SSH or telnet it will find server, try to connect, but it freeze after... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankosun
4 Replies
mount.crypt(8)							     pam_mount							    mount.crypt(8)

Name
       mount.crypt - mount a dm-crypt encrypted volume

Syntax
       mount.crypt [-nrv] [-o options] device directory

Options
       -o options
	      Set further mount options. mount.crypt will take out its own options it recognizes and passes any remaining options on to the under-
	      lying mount program. See below for possible options.

-n     Do not update /etc/mtab. Note that this makes it impossible to unmount the volume by naming the container - you will  have  to  pass
	      the mountpoint to umount.crypt.

-r     Set  up  the loop device (if necessary) and crypto device in read-only mode.  (The mount itself will necessarily also be read-only.)
	      Note that doing a remount using `mount /mnt -o remount,rw` will not make the mount readwrite. The crypto and loop devices will  have
	      to be disassociated first.

-v     Turn on debugging and be a bit more verbose.

Mount options
       cipher The  cryptsetup  cipher used for the encrypted volume. This option is mandatory for PLAIN (non-LUKS) volumes. pmt-ehd(8) defaults to
	      creating volumes with "aes-cbc-essiv:sha256" as a cipher.

crypto_name
	      Select the name for the crypto device (optional). This option is currently only usable with dm-crypt systems.

fsck   Run fsck on the container before mounting it.

fsk_cipher
	      The OpenSSL cipher used for the filesystem key. The special keyword "none" can be used to bypass decryption and pass the	file  con-
	      tents directly to libcryptsetup.

fsk_hash
	      The OpenSSL hash used for producing key and IV.

fstype The exact type of filesystem in the encrypted container. The default is to let the kernel autodetect.

hash   The  cryptsetup  hash  used for the encrypted volume. This defaults to no hashing, because pam_mount assumes EHD volumes with strong
	      and simple fskey generation.

keyfile
	      The path to the key file. This option is mandatory for "normal" crypto volumes and should not be used for LUKS volumes.

remount
	      Causes the filesystem to be remounted with new options. Note that mount.crypt cannot switch the underlying loop device (if  applies)
	      or the crypto device between read-only and read-write once it is created; only the actual filesystem mount can be changed, with lim-
	      its. If the loop device is read-only, the crypto device will be read-only, and changing the mount to read-write is impossible.  Sim-
	      ilarly,  going from rw to ro will only mark the mount read-only, but not the crypto or loop device, thus making it impossible to set
	      the filesystem the crypto container is located on to read-only.

ro     Same as the -r option.

verbose
	      Same as the -v option.

Obsolete mount options
       This section is provided for reference.

loop   This option used to set up a loop device, because cryptsetup(8) expects a block device. The option is  ignored  because  mount.crypt
	      can figure this out on its own.

pam_mount							    2011-12-15							    mount.crypt(8)