Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Best performance UNIX just for HOST Virtualization? Post 303011914 by danallen on Thursday 25th of January 2018 11:54:58 AM
Old 01-25-2018
This is the old Chevy vs. Ford argument. Not to be rude, but really, this isn't the most constructive question. I can understand wanting some help picking your Linux, but the truth is there are many great distros to choose from, and there is no one that is the best for everyone using it for virtualizing servers or anything else.

There is a certain distro I am partial to, but when I read about why people prefer certain other distros, I always am impressed by the good reasons they have. I believe there is no correct answer to your question.

I think those disclaimers are important, but now I am going to tell you why I run Debian virtual machines. Debian came to me as rumor. same as God, Heaven, and Hell. People seemed to say Debian was really stable. I started with another distro and that is how I found out what people mean by "Debian is really stable." At first I thought I wanted something more cutting edge.

Let me tell you what I like most when it comes to my servers: forget about them I want then always on and running like electricity. Every second I have to put into making my server work is a second I could devote instead ti a task that makes me money. No one pays me to run my servers. They pay me to make the software I make on my servers.

You know how system updates have habit of breaking stuff? Debian doesn't do that. I really like it when my plans for a day are not cancelled because something gone wrong with my server that I have to deal with instead.

As far as I am concerned there is nothing Debian cannot do that any system can do. it always does it great. There is a big number of other distros that are based Debian. I think the way it works is they take Debian and do stuff to it then release it. I guess those other distros have features doesn't have, but I have no idea what they are.I have come to love stability and someone will correct me if I am wrong, but Debian is a gold standard for stability. Debian is the source.I don't really know, but I think Debian might be the best software ever. Debian is the only software I ever worked with that always impresses me and never disappoints. I only use Debian as VMs hosted on a computer available to me for hosting. The host does not matter Debian matters. I do not use Debian desktop software yet.

So there you have it, my dumb answer to your ____ question. I hope it helps.
This User Gave Thanks to danallen For This Post:

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

ILOM to unix host

Hello- On Solaris 10g x86 - I had two IP addresses , one for unix host (connecting through putty) and one for ILOM (connecting through CLI and web). I had to perform some changes in FS sizes etc, did that on unix host and executed command 'init 6' remotely for them to take place. But, the unix host... (30 Replies)
Discussion started by: panchpan
30 Replies

2. Red Hat

Red Hat and Intel: Smart processors, virtualization boost efficiency and performance

On Monday March 30, Intel announced the availability of their much anticipated new line of processors, the Intel® Xeon® Processor 5500 series–nicknamed Nehalem. Red Hat, a long-time partner of the market-leading chip maker , collaborated on the chip’s debut, testing and optimizing the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Virtualization of Global Namespace in UNIX

Hi all, I have a small Question here in Unix File System.I am unable to get a proper answer in Internet. Hope someone can get back to me soon. A Unix file system can mount filesystem of several disk partitions to form a single global space. Suppose that you wish to virtualize this global... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pavan Kumar
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

Virt-install: ERROR Host does not support any virtualization

Hello guys! First of all sorry about my english. I am using KVM to virtualizate. But when i run the virt-install command, it shows the next error: ERROR Host does not support any virtualization options.My server had virtualisation extensions enabled in the bios. It is my first time using... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: morrison71
7 Replies
Debian::Control(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Debian::Control(3pm)

NAME
Debian::Control - manage Debian source package control files SYNOPSIS
my $c = Debian::Control->new(); # construct a new $c->read($file); # parse debian/control file $c->write($file); # write to file print $c->source->Source; print $c->source->Build_Depends; # Debian::Dependencies object $c->binary->{'libfoo-perl'}->Description( "Foo Perl module " . " Foo makes this and that" ); DESCRIPTION
Debian::Control can be used for representation and manipulation of Debian source package control files in an object-oriented way. It provides easy reading and writing of the debian/control file found in Debian source packages. FIELDS
source An instance of Debian::Control::Stanza::Source class. Contains the source stanza of the Debian source package control file. binary A hash reference (actually Tie::IxHash instance) with keys being binary package names and values instances of Debian::Control::Stanza::Binary class. Contains the information of the binary package stanzas of Debian source package control file. CONSTRUCTOR
new Constructs a new Debian::Control instance. The "source" field is initialized with an empty instance of Debian::Control::Stanza::Source and "binary" field is initialized with an empty instance of Tie::IxHash. METHODS
read file Parse "control" in debian and populate "source" and "binary" accessors. file can be either a file name, an opened file handle or a string scalar reference. write file Writes a debian/control-like file in file with the contents defined in the "source" and "binary" fields. file can be either a file name, an opened file handle or a string scalar reference. All dependency lists are sorted before writing. is_arch_dep Returns true if the package is architecture-dependent. This is determined by the "Architecture" field of the first binary package. If it equals to "all", then the package is architecture-independent; otherwise it is architecture-dependent. Returns undef if it is not possible to determine whether the package is architecture-dependent or not. This is the case when there are no binary package stanzas present or the first has no "Archiitecture" field. SEE ALSO
Debian::Control::Stanza::Source, Debian::Control::Stanza::Binary, Debian::Control::FromCPAN COPYRIGHT &; LICENSE Copyright (C) 2009 Damyan Ivanov dmn@debian.org This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2 as published by the Free Software Foundation. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. perl v5.14.2 2012-01-15 Debian::Control(3pm)