Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How do I determine the best number to use for the bs (block size) operand of the dd command? Post 303011910 by Corona688 on Thursday 25th of January 2018 10:47:26 AM
Old 01-25-2018
What instructions are you following? It makes little sense to dump a raw ISO to a partition, flash drive is not CDROM. A few odd boot systems do this, but usually you'd install to a flash drive like a hard drive.

4M is fine. The point is that it's not left at the default of 512, which would be extremely slow.

It may seem to take a long time because it may take a long time. USB media not particularly fast. If you want to know how much it has written and are running in Linux, not some other UNIX try running sudo killall -USR1 dd which should cause dd to print statistics. (On non-Linux operating systems, killall has a more literal meaning.)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

determine the size of a file???

Hello, Can someone please tell me which command to use to determine the size of a file? When I log in to my shell account, I do this $>% ls -als total 632 8 -rw-r--r-- 1 user01 devgrp1 1558 Jul 30 23:25 .kshrc What is "1158"? Bytes? Kilobytes? I apologize if my... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
8 Replies

2. HP-UX

determine number of xterm connected

i more than one hp-ux 11.0 application server. some of these application server has an xterminal attached to them. ncd900 and ncd400. i would like to know how many xterm is connected to an application server. without physically checking each xterm, can i identify how many xterm? thanks alot. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: inquirer
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

$A is a number / any other string? How to determine ?

I have a variable (say $A) and while passing it gets either a number or some other string. Now how can test (with if else) whether the variable is just a ne or something else ? Thanks a lot to all in advance C Saha (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaha
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to determine the max file size

Does anyone know a way to determine the maximum filesize on a file system on Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, Linux, and OSF1 using the command line? TIA (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dknight
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

determine the physical size of the hard disk

Hi is there a cmd in hpux 11 to determine the physical size of the hard disk. not bdf command. i have searched the other threads here but cant find an answer. thank you guys (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoffies
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Determine switch buffer size

Hi everybody, I need to calculate the tcp buffer size of a network switch, since it's not specified in the manual; how do I do this? I have some machines connected to the switch and I can run some socket tests written in C between these machines (I can choose how many bytes to send and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dimpim
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

determine the number of spaces

Here is a weird question :) i am trying to create a script written in bash that will create configuration files for nagios. As some of you aware is has to be written in the below format: define service{ option1 value1 option2 value2... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppolianidis
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command for total number of files (and size) across subdirectories?

Hi all... I have a directory called dbrn. This directory contains an unknown number of subdirectories which in turn contain an unknown number of files. What I want to know is: How many files with extention .ABC can be found in /dbrn across all subdirecties, and what is the total size for... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beun
9 Replies

9. Programming

Perl : Inline program to determine file size

Hi, I have 5 files as below $ ll sam* -rw-rw-rw- 1 sam ugroup 0 Mar 21 06:06 sam3 -rw-rw-rw- 1 sam ugroup 0 Apr 3 22:41 sam2 -rw-rw-rw- 1 sam ugroup 17335 Apr 10 06:07 sam1 -rw-rw-rw- 1 sam ugroup 5 Apr 10 07:53 sam5 -rw-rw-rw- 1 sam ugroup 661 Apr 10 08:16 sam4 I want to list out... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam05121988
4 Replies

10. Programming

How to extract operand size in bits of a C program?

Hi I'm new to shell programming. How do I extract the size of an operand in a simple instruction in a C program? Lets say there is an addition a+b somewhere in a C code where a and b are integers. How to extract the size of a & b in bits? Is there something called intermediate code before an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginner_99
4 Replies
SD(4)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							     SD(4)

NAME
sd - driver for SCSI disk drives SYNOPSIS
#include <linux/hdreg.h> /* for HDIO_GETGEO */ #include <linux/fs.h> /* for BLKGETSIZE and BLKRRPART */ CONFIGURATION
The block device name has the following form: sdlp, where l is a letter denoting the physical drive, and p is a number denoting the parti- tion on that physical drive. Often, the partition number, p, will be left off when the device corresponds to the whole drive. SCSI disks have a major device number of 8, and a minor device number of the form (16 * drive_number) + partition_number, where drive_num- ber is the number of the physical drive in order of detection, and partition_number is as follows: partition 0 is the whole drive partitions 1-4 are the DOS "primary" partitions partitions 5-8 are the DOS "extended" (or "logical") partitions For example, /dev/sda will have major 8, minor 0, and will refer to all of the first SCSI drive in the system; and /dev/sdb3 will have major 8, minor 19, and will refer to the third DOS "primary" partition on the second SCSI drive in the system. At this time, only block devices are provided. Raw devices have not yet been implemented. DESCRIPTION
The following ioctls are provided: HDIO_GETGEO Returns the BIOS disk parameters in the following structure: struct hd_geometry { unsigned char heads; unsigned char sectors; unsigned short cylinders; unsigned long start; }; A pointer to this structure is passed as the ioctl(2) parameter. The information returned in the parameter is the disk geometry of the drive as understood by DOS! This geometry is not the physical geometry of the drive. It is used when constructing the drive's partition table, however, and is needed for convenient operation of fdisk(1), efdisk(1), and lilo(1). If the geometry information is not available, zero will be returned for all of the parameters. BLKGETSIZE Returns the device size in sectors. The ioctl(2) parameter should be a pointer to a long. BLKRRPART Forces a reread of the SCSI disk partition tables. No parameter is needed. The SCSI ioctl(2) operations are also supported. If the ioctl(2) parameter is required, and it is NULL, then ioctl(2) will fail with the error EINVAL. FILES
/dev/sd[a-h]: the whole device /dev/sd[a-h][0-8]: individual block partitions COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2012-05-03 SD(4)