Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How do I determine the best number to use for the bs (block size) operand of the dd command? Post 303011910 by Corona688 on Thursday 25th of January 2018 10:47:26 AM
Old 01-25-2018
What instructions are you following? It makes little sense to dump a raw ISO to a partition, flash drive is not CDROM. A few odd boot systems do this, but usually you'd install to a flash drive like a hard drive.

4M is fine. The point is that it's not left at the default of 512, which would be extremely slow.

It may seem to take a long time because it may take a long time. USB media not particularly fast. If you want to know how much it has written and are running in Linux, not some other UNIX try running sudo killall -USR1 dd which should cause dd to print statistics. (On non-Linux operating systems, killall has a more literal meaning.)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

determine the size of a file???

Hello, Can someone please tell me which command to use to determine the size of a file? When I log in to my shell account, I do this $>% ls -als total 632 8 -rw-r--r-- 1 user01 devgrp1 1558 Jul 30 23:25 .kshrc What is "1158"? Bytes? Kilobytes? I apologize if my... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
8 Replies

2. HP-UX

determine number of xterm connected

i more than one hp-ux 11.0 application server. some of these application server has an xterminal attached to them. ncd900 and ncd400. i would like to know how many xterm is connected to an application server. without physically checking each xterm, can i identify how many xterm? thanks alot. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: inquirer
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

$A is a number / any other string? How to determine ?

I have a variable (say $A) and while passing it gets either a number or some other string. Now how can test (with if else) whether the variable is just a ne or something else ? Thanks a lot to all in advance C Saha (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaha
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to determine the max file size

Does anyone know a way to determine the maximum filesize on a file system on Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, Linux, and OSF1 using the command line? TIA (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dknight
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

determine the physical size of the hard disk

Hi is there a cmd in hpux 11 to determine the physical size of the hard disk. not bdf command. i have searched the other threads here but cant find an answer. thank you guys (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoffies
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Determine switch buffer size

Hi everybody, I need to calculate the tcp buffer size of a network switch, since it's not specified in the manual; how do I do this? I have some machines connected to the switch and I can run some socket tests written in C between these machines (I can choose how many bytes to send and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dimpim
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

determine the number of spaces

Here is a weird question :) i am trying to create a script written in bash that will create configuration files for nagios. As some of you aware is has to be written in the below format: define service{ option1 value1 option2 value2... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppolianidis
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command for total number of files (and size) across subdirectories?

Hi all... I have a directory called dbrn. This directory contains an unknown number of subdirectories which in turn contain an unknown number of files. What I want to know is: How many files with extention .ABC can be found in /dbrn across all subdirecties, and what is the total size for... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beun
9 Replies

9. Programming

Perl : Inline program to determine file size

Hi, I have 5 files as below $ ll sam* -rw-rw-rw- 1 sam ugroup 0 Mar 21 06:06 sam3 -rw-rw-rw- 1 sam ugroup 0 Apr 3 22:41 sam2 -rw-rw-rw- 1 sam ugroup 17335 Apr 10 06:07 sam1 -rw-rw-rw- 1 sam ugroup 5 Apr 10 07:53 sam5 -rw-rw-rw- 1 sam ugroup 661 Apr 10 08:16 sam4 I want to list out... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam05121988
4 Replies

10. Programming

How to extract operand size in bits of a C program?

Hi I'm new to shell programming. How do I extract the size of an operand in a simple instruction in a C program? Lets say there is an addition a+b somewhere in a C code where a and b are integers. How to extract the size of a & b in bits? Is there something called intermediate code before an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginner_99
4 Replies
xfs_rtcp(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       xfs_rtcp(8)

NAME
xfs_rtcp - XFS realtime copy command SYNOPSIS
xfs_rtcp [ -e extsize ] [ -p ] source ... target xfs_rtcp -V DESCRIPTION
xfs_rtcp copies a file to the realtime partition on an XFS filesystem. If there is more than one source and target, the final argument (the target) must be a directory which already exists. OPTIONS
-e extsize Sets the extent size of the destination realtime file. -p Use if the size of the source file is not an even multiple of the block size of the destination filesystem. When -p is specified xfs_rtcp will pad the destination file to a size which is an even multiple of the filesystem block size. This is necessary since the realtime file is created using direct I/O and the minimum I/O is the filesystem block size. -V Prints the version number and exits. SEE ALSO
xfs(5), mkfs.xfs(8), mount(8). CAVEATS
Currently, realtime partitions are not supported under the Linux version of XFS, and use of a realtime partition WILL CAUSE CORRUPTION on the data partition. As such, this command is made available for curious DEVELOPERS ONLY at this point in time. xfs_rtcp(8)