Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Check if file is EBCDIC or ASCII format Post 303011846 by gnnsprapa on Wednesday 24th of January 2018 10:53:40 AM
Old 01-24-2018
Check if file is EBCDIC or ASCII format

So, i have this requirement where i need to check the file format, whether it's EBCDIC or ASCII, and based on format retrieve the information from that file:

my file is:

file1.txt-->this ebcdic file
file2.txt-->ascii file

i tried below code:
Code:
file=file1.txt
type="`file $file`"

i get output if file is ebcdic:
Code:
file1.txt: data

if file is ascii:
Code:
file2.txt: ASCII text, with no line terminators

now my requirement is i need to do some operations if file is ebcdic and some if file is ascii:

Code:
type="`file $file`"
if grep -q data "$type"; then
echo "ebcdic"
else
echo "ascii"
fi

output:
Code:
grep: 010020001_S-FOR-Sort-SYEXC_20180109_062320_0100.x937: data: No such file or directory
ascii

firstly its not searching the word data correctly in $type variable and its showing something like no such file or directory, can anyone guide me where i am going wrong, and also what will the best approach for this requirement.
TIA

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check whether a given file is in ASCII format and data is tab-delimited

Hi All, Please help me out with a script which checks whether a given file say abc.txt is in ASCII format and data is tab-delimited. If the condition doesn't satisfy then it should generate error code "100" for file not in ASCII format and "105" if it is not in tab-delimited format. If the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mandab
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To convert multi format file to a readable ascii format

Hi I have a file which has ascii , binary, binary decimal coded,decimal & hexadecimal data with lot of special characters (like ..ݡ.ݡ ) in it. I want to standardize the file into ASCII format & later use that as source . Can any one suggest a way a logic to convert such... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaur.deepti
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert ebcdic file to ascii file?

How to convert ebcdic file to ascii file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: superuser123
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert ebcdic file to ascii file?

How to convert ebcdic file to ascii file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: superuser123
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if the file has EBCDIC or ascii characters

Hi, is there a way to check if the initial few characters are ebcdic or ascii in a file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahmedwaseem2000
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help! EBCDIC format to ASCII

Hi everyone, I have a 70MB EBCDIC file, with record length 102, block size 32742 and IBM standard label. I commanded dd if=input file of=outputfie ibs=32742 cbs=102 conv=ascii but I still don't get a viewable file under ASCII. Can anyone told me what's the problem? Do I need... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: hrchl86
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

EBCDIC Format to ASCII

Hi, we have source file with EBCDIC format(Main Frame files) where we receving from source system. I would like to convert the EBCDIC format file to unix systemformat(ex: .csv,txt ) I have wrote script like: dd if=<SRCPATH>yyy.xxx.RB065 of=<SRCPATH>/output.csv ibs=800 cbs=80... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
8 Replies

8. Red Hat

Unable to convert EBCDIC file to ASCII file

Hello all, To give you all a little bit of background. We recently migrated from HP-UX to Redhat Linux and one of the command I used to run on HP-UX to convert an EBCDIC file to ASCII file isn't working on Linux. The code is as follow: cat workout2.dat | dd cbs=250 conv=block conv=ascii... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sethmj
3 Replies

9. Programming

Ebcdic to ascii

Hi, I want to convert ebcdic values to ascii values. Are there anyany specific c++ libraries with g++ compiler, which can do it ? gcc version 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-54) (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
19 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert EBCDIC(.DAT) FILE into ASCII FILE

Hi Team, I am having 100 EBCDIC files (i.e. DAT extension) and need to convert them into ASCII File by unix shell script. I tried with DD Command but its not providing output as expected. Sample Text: ------------------ @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ Expected Output:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JSM
2 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)