Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Deleting the last non blank line from a file Post 303011724 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 23rd of January 2018 01:34:37 AM
Old 01-23-2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by swathi reddy1
Hi sir,
I am using below command to print the last non blank line
Code:
awk '/./{line=$0} END{print line}' file1

Now i want to delete that line and create one more file

But the below command can only delete the last line and copy the remaining lines to the new file
Code:
sed '$d' file1>file2

i am looking for a single command which can delete the last non blank record and copy the remaining content to the new file
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment So far you have 4 posts. 4 of those posts have had to be edited by a moderator or administrator to add the CODE and ICODE tags that you should have included in your posts when displaying sample input, sample output, and code segments.

Continued refusal to properly use CODE tags may result in you being placed in read-only status or being banned from the UNIX & Linux Forums.
What operating system are you using?

What shell are you using?

The awk script you showed us does not print the last non-blank line; it prints the last non-empty line. Do you understand the difference? Which is it that you want to delete? A non-blank line or a non-empty line?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting the blank line in a file and counting the characters....

Hi, I am trying to do two things in my script. I will really appreciate any help in this regards. Is there a way to delete a last line from a pipe delimited flat file if the last line is blank. If the line is not blank then do nothing..... Is there a way to count a word that are starting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkumar28
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete a first blank line from the file

I have a file which has the first blank line: sundev22$cat /t1/bin/startallocs /t1/bin/startallocsys 123 sundev22$ Is there a command to remove this first blank line? Thanks for help -A (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove last blank line of file

I have a number of files (arranged in directories) which have last line blank, I am trying to synchronize my code with other env and due to this blank lines, all files error out as different although only difference is that of balnk line at end of file. Is there a way I can recursively... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruchimca
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to replace a line in file with blank line

Hi I nned cmd to which will help me to replace a line in file with blank line e.g. file1 a b c d e after running cmd I shud get file1 b c d e (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tarunn.dubeyy
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace two blank line with a single blank line

Hi Guys, I have a file in which each set of records are separated by two blank line. I want to replace it with a single blank line. Can you guys help me out? Regards, Magesh (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
9 Replies

6. Solaris

deleting blank space in beginning of line in vi

How can we delete all the blank spaces in the beginning of some lines in a text in vi? Thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting blank line and row containing certain words in single sed command

Hi Is it possible to do the following in a single command /usr/xpg4/bin/sed -e '/rows selected/d' /aemu/CALLAUTO/callauto.txt > /aemu/CALLAUTO/callautonew.txt /usr/xpg4/bin/sed -e '/^$/d' /aemu/CALLAUTO/callautonew.txt > /aemu/CALLAUTO/callauto_new.txt exit (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting blank lines ONLY at the end of the file

Hi Guys, I have a quetion which was already discussed in the forum, but for some reason all approches suggested fail for me. I have a file which have blank lines at the body of the text as well as at the end. I need to delete ONLY blank lines at the end. Unfortunatly the approach below does not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue deleting blank line from a file

I'm trying to delete the blank lines from the file $Sfile. tried the below set of commands. Both are giving the same error (: bad interpreter: No such file or directory) awk 'NF > 0' $Sfile > $Tfile cat $Tfile sed -i '/^$/d' $Sfile cat $Sfile Not sure if there's any other problem with... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pandee
17 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

In a file, replace blank line by the last line not blank above

Dear All, In a CSV file, say that a given column has been extracted. In that column, information is missing (i.e. blank lines appear). I would like to replace the blank lines by the last valid line (not blank) previously read. For example, consider the extract below: 123 234 543 111... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bagvian
7 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [ options ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If one of the file names is the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Input fields are normally separated spaces or tabs; output fields by space. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are discarded. The following options are recognized, with POSIX syntax. -a n In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -v n Like -a, omitting output for paired lines. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -1 m -2 m Join on the mth field of file1 or file2. -jn m Archaic equivalent for -n m. -ofields Each output line comprises the designated fields. The comma-separated field designators are either 0, meaning the join field, or have the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. Archaic usage allows separate arguments for field designators. -tc Use character c as the only separator (tab character) on input and output. Every appearance of c in a line is significant. EXAMPLES
sort /etc/passwd | join -t: -1 1 -a 1 -e "" - bdays Add birthdays to the /etc/passwd file, leaving unknown birthdays empty. The layout of /adm/users is given in passwd(5); bdays con- tains sorted lines like tr : ' ' </etc/passwd | sort -k 3 3 >temp join -1 3 -2 3 -o 1.1,2.1 temp temp | awk '$1 < $2' Print all pairs of users with identical userids. SOURCE
/src/cmd/join.c SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1) BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b -ky,y; with -t, the sequence is that of sort -tx -ky,y. One of the files must be randomly accessible. JOIN(1)