Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Telnet failed to localhost.
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Telnet failed to localhost. Post 303011615 by Nishit on Saturday 20th of January 2018 04:31:43 PM
Old 01-20-2018
I want to collect logs from different hosts, therefore I am checking is the port 514 is open or not.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

apache@localhost.localdomain

Hello, I am ltrying to find the config file to modify a parameter for apache (I guess). Here, when sending mail using php web form I get a copy of all mail sent from that form, but here is a sample of what I get : From : apache@localhost.localdomain To : myemail@host.com Subject : Mail ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: qfwfq
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

localhost problem!

hello guys, this morning when I start my pc (gentoo) I get some strange errors about localhost. "Could not determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName" ... Apache the same for my aplications, I have to use the full address of my pc instead of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: georgeplus
1 Replies

3. Ubuntu

fail to telnet localhost 106

Hi folks, Ubuntu 7.04 server amd64 On running; $ telnet localhost 106 Trying 127.0.0.1... telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused $ netstat -an | grep 106 $ sudo netstat -an | grep 106 both no printout Pls advise where shall I check and how to fix... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: satimis
22 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Webpage to Telnet via Perl and Expect: Telnet problem?

Somewhat long story: I have a simple Perl CGI script that uses Expect to Telnet to a device and grab some data, and then spits it back to Perl for display on the Webpage. This works for many devices I've tried, but one device just fails, it keeps rejecting the password on this device, only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jondo
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't Open Display localhost:0.0

I'm trying to connect to my linux server but I'm having some major problems. The server had OEL 5 installed and my local pc is running Windows XP. I'm using PuTTy to connect to the server with Xming running on my loacl machine. I login as root and run the following command - export... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: garethnsolomons
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DIG uses localhost

Hi, I have these entries in the /etc/esolv.conf: ------------ domain xxxxxx search yyyyyy nameserver 127.0.0.1 nameserver aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa nameserver bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb ------------- When I use 'dig' or 'nslookup' command, like 'dig yahoo.com' it uses the localhost as the server. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaandana
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Timeout: No Response from localhost

Hi All! I having an issue when trying to run snmpwalk, so the following command it returns an error: bash-3.00# /usr/sfw/bin/snmpwalk -v 2c -c public localhost sysDescr.0 Timeout: No Response from localhost bash-3.00# I have checked also: bash-3.00# svcs -a | grep sma online ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
2 Replies

8. Debian

Waiting for localhost.

I am getting the message - waiting for localhost. Here are some diagnostic steps I have tried .... root@meow:/home/ethan# cat /var/www/cgi-bin/httpd.conf ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/jkj ServerName 127.0.0.1:80 Listen xx.xx.xx.xx:80 Listen 127.0.0.1:80 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Meow613
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot find localhost

I get a "not found" error from this localhost/choice.php ethan@meow:~$ ping 127.0.0.1 PING 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data. 64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.025 ms 64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.036 m and this ethan@meow:~$ mysql -u... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meow613
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tcl / expect need to attempt telnet if failed ssh

Morning and Happy New Year to all. I am in a situation where I need to connect to a list of devices that are using either telnet or ssh. I want to try to telnet, if I receive any of the following I want to attempt ssh : "Connection refused" "Connection timed out" timeout expiration ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
3 Replies
TRIMHISTORY(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    TRIMHISTORY(8)

NAME
trimhistory - Remove old Xymon history-log entries SYNOPSIS
trimhistory --cutoff=TIME [options] DESCRIPTION
The trimhistory tool is used to purge old entries from the Xymon history logs. These logfiles accumulate information about all status changes that have occurred for any given service, host, or the entire Xymon system, and is used to generate the event- and history-log web- pages. Purging old entries can be done while Xymon is running, since the tool takes care not to commit updates to a file if it changes mid-way through the operation. In that case, the update is aborted and the existing logfile is left untouched. Optionally, this tool will also remove logfiles from hosts that are no longer defined in the Xymon bb-hosts(5) file. As an extension, even logfiles from services can be removed, if the service no longer has a valid status-report logged in the current Xymon status. OPTIONS
--cutoff=TIME This defines the cutoff-time when processing the history logs. Entries dated before this time are discarded. TIME is specified as the number of seconds since the beginning of the Epoch. This is easily generated by the GNU date(1) utility, e.g. the following com- mand will trim history logs of all entries prior to Oct. 1st 2004: trimhistory --cutoff=`date +%s --date="1 Oct 2004"` --outdir=DIRECTORY Normally, files in the BBHIST directory are replaced. This option causes trimhistory to save the shortened history logfiles to another directory, so you can verify that the operation works as intended. The output directory must exist. --drop Causes trimhistory to delete files from hosts that are not listed in the bb-hosts(5) file. --dropsvcs Causes trimhistory to delete files from services that are not currently tracked by Xymon. Normally these files would be left untouched if only the host exists. --droplogs Process the BBHISTLOGS directory also, and delete status-logs from events prior to the cut-off time. Note that this can dramatically increase the processing time, since there are often lots and lots of files to process. --progress[=N] This will cause trimhistory to output a status line for every N history logs or status-log collections it processes, to indicate how far it has progressed. The default setting for N is 100. --env=FILENAME Loads the environment from FILENAME before executing trimhistory. --debug Enable debugging output. FILES
$BBHIST/allevents The eventlog of all events that have happened in Xymon. $BBHIST/HOSTNAME The per-host eventlogs. $BBHIST/HOSTNAME.SERVICE The per-service eventlogs. $BBHISTLOGS/*/* The historical status-logs. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
BBHIST The directory holding all history logs. BBHISTLOGS The top-level directory for the historical status-log collections. BBHOSTS The location of the bb-hosts file, holding the list of currently known hosts in Xymon. SEE ALSO
xymon(7), bb-hosts(5) Xymon Version 4.2.3: 4 Feb 2009 TRIMHISTORY(8)