Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Fake MicroSoft calls
Special Forums Cybersecurity Fake MicroSoft calls Post 303011356 by RudiC on Wednesday 17th of January 2018 07:25:55 AM
Old 01-17-2018
Fake MicroSoft calls

Dear colleagues,

it's that time of the year again: in recent days and weeks I'm receiving annoying numbers of annoying "support" calls from dubious "MicroSoft Centers" telling me that my computer generates errors and / or downloads malicious SW. Although ignoring these pesterers on the phone, I'm a bit concerned as I can't assess the danger they pose, coming in via VoIP.
Very few ports are open on my PC interface: SunRPC and 766 (both listened on by rpcbind), CUPS, DNS and Link-Local Multicast Name Resolution (both listened on by systemd-resolve). On my router, none of the common ports is open to the WAN.
No indication (yet) of remote interaction (attempts) in my system log file.

Does anyone of you have an idea or indication, what the threat would be and how I could prevent any damage? Can they, from VoIP connection / communication data, infer / deduct / extract information allowing them to harm?

Rgds
Rüdiger

Last edited by RudiC; 01-17-2018 at 09:40 AM..

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Identification of data calls & voice calls

Is there any facility to filter/identify the data calls and voice calls coming throug modem? OR Can we get the data or voice calls information through a script(preferably C Kermit)? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcsaji
0 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Microsoft Powerpoint 2003 stops working after 12 April 2011 Microsoft Updates

For the benefit of the community this is a widespread worldwide problem affecting multiple versions of Microsoft Windows. Powerpoint erroneously reports Powerpoint presentation damaged and then often hangs. Until Microsoft sort this out, try removing Powerpoint security update KB 2464588... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: methyl
0 Replies
RPCBIND(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						RPCBIND(8)

NAME
rpcbind -- universal addresses to RPC program number mapper SYNOPSIS
rpcbind [-adhiLls] DESCRIPTION
The rpcbind utility is a server that converts RPC program numbers into universal addresses. It must be running on the host to be able to make RPC calls on a server on that machine. When an RPC service is started, it tells rpcbind the address at which it is listening, and the RPC program numbers it is prepared to serve. When a client wishes to make an RPC call to a given program number, it first contacts rpcbind on the server machine to determine the address where RPC requests should be sent. The rpcbind utility should be started before any other RPC service. Normally, standard RPC servers are started by port monitors, so rpcbind must be started before port monitors are invoked. When rpcbind is started, it checks that certain name-to-address translation-calls function correctly. If they fail, the network configura- tion databases may be corrupt. Since RPC services cannot function correctly in this situation, rpcbind reports the condition and terminates. The rpcbind utility can only be started by the super-user. OPTIONS
-a When debugging (-d), do an abort on errors. -d Run in debug mode. In this mode, rpcbind will not fork when it starts, will print additional information during operation, and will abort on certain errors if -a is also specified. With this option, the name-to-address translation consistency checks are shown in detail. -h Specify specific IP addresses to bind to for UDP requests. This option may be specified multiple times and is typically necessary when running on a multi-homed host. If no -h option is specified, rpcbind will bind to INADDR_ANY, which could lead to problems on a multi-homed host due to rpcbind returning a UDP packet from a different IP address than it was sent to. Note that when specifying IP addresses with -h, rpcbind will automatically add 127.0.0.1 and if IPv6 is enabled, ::1 to the list. -i ``Insecure'' mode. Allow calls to SET and UNSET from any host. Normally rpcbind accepts these requests only from the loopback interface for security reasons. This change is necessary for programs that were compiled with earlier versions of the rpc library and do not make those requests using the loopback interface. -l Turn on libwrap connection logging. -s Cause rpcbind to change to the user daemon as soon as possible. This causes rpcbind to use non-privileged ports for outgoing connec- tions, preventing non-privileged clients from using rpcbind to connect to services from a privileged port. -w Cause rpcbind to do a "warm start" by read a state file when rpcbind starts up. The state file is created when rpcbind terminates. NOTES
All RPC servers must be restarted if rpcbind is restarted. SEE ALSO
rpcbind(3), rpcinfo(8) LINUX PORT
BSD
September 14, 1992 BSD