Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Creating a master file of conjugated verbs by concatenating root and inflection from separate files Post 303011334 by gimley on Wednesday 17th of January 2018 02:06:13 AM
Old 01-17-2018
Thanks for your kind words. I am 70 years old. Accustomed to C programming and I guess in my hurry I forgot to check what is already available.

---------- Post updated 01-17-18 at 02:06 AM ---------- Previous update was 01-16-18 at 10:01 PM ----------

Dear Don,
Sorry to bother you.
I implemented the following awk script to handle the problem of concatenating two files where the first is the suffix file and the second is the root file
Code:
FNR==NR {S[$1];next} {printf "%s", $1; for (s in S) printf "/n%s%s", $1, s; printf "\n"}suffix root>root.out

The sample root file contains the following
Code:
walk
talk
seat
pick
laugh

The suffix file contains 3 suffixes in this order: The order is important.
Code:
s
ing
ed

However when the file is generated the order changes and a peculiar sort order is imposed. The output of the file is as under:
Code:
walk
walked
walks
walking
talk
talked
talks
talking

I have only pasted output of the first 2 verbs. As you can see the sort order is changed and is not the same. I have gone through the script and cannot detect which part what modifies the sort order. Is it because the files are in UTF8. I need this format to handle complex scripts like Devanagari or Arabic.
I desperately need the sort order in the suffix file to be retained.
If it is not too much trouble could you please comment the part of the script which modifies the sort order of the output.
Many thanks for your kind help

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Break a file into separate files

Hello I am facing a scenario where I have a file with XML content and I am running shell script over it. But the problem is the XML is getting updated with new services. In the below scenario, my script takes values from the xml file from one service name say ABCD. Since there are multiple, it is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenating Files In A Year/Month/Day File Structure

Hi Im trying to concatenate a specific file from each day in a year/month/day folder structure using Bash or equivalent. The file structure ends up like this: 2009/01/01/products 2009/01/02/products .... 2009/12/31/products The file I need is in products everyday and I need the script to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grizzly
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenating lines of separate files using awk or sed

For example: File 1: abc def ghi jkl mno pqr File 2: stu vwx yza bcd efg hij klm nop qrs I want the reult to be: abc def ghistu vwx yza jkl mno pqrbcd efg hij klm nop qrs (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamahomekarasu
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

creating separate directories according to file extension and keeping file in different directory as

unix program to which a directory name will be passed as parameter. This directory will contain files with various extensions. This script will create directories with the names of the extention of the files and then put the files in the corresponding folder. All files which do not have any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deekay.p
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a file where the owner and group is not root

Hi, I'm the root user on my computer, but I'm writing a script that does a lot of file handling. Every time I create a file or directory it automatically requires root privileges. Is there a way I can just create a file that the user can access without a password? For example in my script I... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdilts
20 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenating 3 files into a single file

I have 3 files File1 C1 C2 c3 File 2 C1 c2 c3 File 3 C1 c2 c3 Now i want to have File1 as C1 c2 c3 I File2 as C1 c2 c3 O File3 as c1 c2 c3 D and these 3 files should be concatenated into a single file how can it be done in unix script? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Codesearcher
3 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How can I replicate master master and master master MySQL databse replication and HA?

I have an application desigend in PHP and MySQl running on apache web server that I is running on a Amazon EC2 server Centos. I want to implement the master-master and master slave replication and high availability disaster recovery on this application database. For this I have created two... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Palak Sharma
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating lemmatised forms by concatenating two files

Dear all, I am working on a noun, adjectiveand verb lemmatiser for Sindhi which will eventually be put up as open source for generic use. The tool will take a word and provide all possible forms of the word. To achieve this I have identified the root forms and the eventual suffixes which could... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
3 Replies

9. Programming

creating separate output file for each input file in python

Experts, Need your help for this. Please support My motive is to create seperate output file for each Input Files(File 1 and File2) in another folder say(/tmp/finaloutput) Input files File 1(1.1.1.1.csv) a,b,c 43,17104773,3 45,17104234,4 File 2(2.2.2.2.csv) a,b,c 43,17104773,1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: as7951
2 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)